Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dance Theatre of Harlem

Does anyone know what's up with the Dance Theatre of Harlem lately? I know they have re-opened the school, but does anyone know if the company is trying to get back together? Any news about their debts?

gerlonda, I don't know if you've done a search on here or on the other Ballet Talk but yes, there's news: Here is my thread from April 7, 2005: Catherine Reynolds to Lead Dance Theater of Harlem where there's a link that probably doesn't work anymore to the article in the NY Times... but I did quote a pretty good bit of the article. And then earlier this month I posted about an ad in the NY Times I'd seen:

As advertised in the New York Times: Dance Theatre of Harlem's Open House: Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 1PM and 3:30PM

1PM: Performance - DTH Company; Dancing Through Barriers Ensemble: Students from the DTH School with Jazz legend Andy Bey; Afro-Cuban music pioneer Alfredo Valdes, Jr.; Baritone Thomas Buckner; Members of the Federation of Black Cowboys.

3PM: Performance and Post Performance Reception

For more info. call DTH at 212-690-2800

Here is a link to Friday's Dance listings and within it you'll see a little announcement about this, as well: .NY Times Dance Listings 5/13/05

And as luck would have it, that's this weekend so if you're in Manhattan, please go and report back! :thumbsup::)

I'm sorry to say that this is all the information I've picked up...

P.S. I had posted both in the News and Announcements forum on this board.

Edited by BW

A friend of my daughter was accepted as an apprentice to DTH a few months ago, so I guess they plan to keep going. :)

Thanks BW. That was an interesting article.

Marqa, when did your friend's daughter audition? So if she is an apprentice, does that mean the company is like "rehearsing" or working on projects or something?

• 8 months later...

The students of this school were just in the Proteges program at Kennedy Center with students performing from other schools as well. This post caught my eye - however, there's much more to read about both this school's dancers and others.

Whitney Yesterday, 08:04 PM

The proteges program was about young dancers from all over. Whether they are 16 or 18 or even 19 doesn’t really change it for me. I found it interesting to compare the styles of, for example, the delightful Danish dancers with the French dancers. After all, Bournonville was a French trained dancer. But for me, the biggest pleasant surprise was the Balanchine danced by the students from Dance Theatre of Harlem. Here was a group of students of all colors, of different body types, dancing beautifully, enthusiastically, and doing justice to the choreographer. I look forward to seeing more of them.

:huepfen:

And they've updated their website for both the company and the school very nicely: Dance Theatre of Harlem :wink:

Edited by BW

I have a friend who's dd has just moved to NY to begin work with the Dancing Through Barriers Ensemble. I'll get more info and post later...

So if she is an apprentice, does that mean the company is like "rehearsing" or working on projects or something?

I'm sorry I never saw your post until today, gerlonda. I don't know how I missed it, since I always go to "view new posts', but I did. (I've also missed PMs sometimes, so I don't know if it's me or...?)

My daughter's friend is living in New York and attending the DTH school in a trainee/advanced student capacity while the company is not an active concern. She does not feel challenged enough in the school and does take class elsewhere as well. She does not know if she'll ever get to dance with the company.

Marga, would you happen to know what she means by:

She does not feel challenged enough in the school and does take class elsewhere as well.

Is it the level that is not that advanced? The technique not up to par? The other dancers ?

Thanks.

I don't know. Next time she visits back home I will ask her! Our conversation about DTH during the Christmas break was brief.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm hoping someone will be able to update on the current "graduates" (if any) in this program and what their plans are for next year. If they have company positions, please let us know if those are trainee, apprentice, corp and then male/female. This information helps others track the true success of the program from year to year.

• 8 years later...

Does anyone currently have a child attending DTH? The school had auditions yesterday & I wanted to know if the issues they were facing improved over the years.

please update us! Thank you!