Ballet Talk for Dancers

Battements in 2nd

Guest Liquorice

Guest Liquorice

Whenever I do a grand battement in second position, I move my hips. I've been keeping them (the battements) low, and holding my leg at a 45 to 55 degree angle to my body(I can maintain a good turnout at a 75 to 80 degree angle but have been keeping my leg further forward to see if it helps) along with doing a lot of exercises for flexibility I learned when I used to do gymnastics, but still my hips swing sideways. Does anyone have any advice as to how to keeps my hips steady? Or is it enough to keep working on my legs' flexibility?

Unfortunately, this is a question with the "Nike answer" - just do it. The hips have to remain underneath the shoulders, but you are right to allow the working leg to go forward of directly (90°) to the side. With two classes a week, you won't develop the strength necessary to keep the working hip from rising when you do a battement to the side. You have to keep lifted out of the supporting hip, and do the battement in such a way as to minimize the rise of the working hip. This entails both working forward of 90°, which you do, and holding the extension of the working leg to about 45° until you can start controlling the wayward hip.