Ballet Talk for Dancers

Class timetable question

Jaana Heino

I usually take 3 or 4 classes a week, 1.5 hours each, and so far this has been good for my progress. During the summer (starting next week) I am, however, going to attend a lecture series that will cut into my class time, meaning that some weeks I will only be able to get to class two times a week. I am worried about what this will do to my strength, but there's no helping it - the lectures are for my actual career and something I really want to do.

Now here is the question: on some days, it seems that there is a lower level class of 60 minutes in length right before or after my own level class. If I can only make it to the studio two times a week, would it be helpful or harmful or neither to take two classes (60 minutes basic work + 90 minutes on my level) in a row, compared to only taking the class on my level?

(This would only be during certain weeks, other weeks I will be able to stick to my regular schedule, as the lectures are given in these three-day modules with breaks in between. During July, I can take class normally, as the lectures take a vacation. :yes:)

Take the extra classes. As you have been doing enough ballet, your stamina is more than able to cope with taking two classes in a row. I used to do this and it built up my strength. Plus with the extra classs being a lower level you can really work on placement and other issues that you may not have as much time for in your higher level class. Go for it :yes:

Most days I take 2 classes in a row. Just listen to your body (especially in the 2nd class). Sometimes its better to leave out certain exercises instead of running risk getting injured.

Xena, DSL, thanks. I know many people take two classes a row, but then again I have heard teachers I respect (also on this board) to say they do not consider e.g. two barres at a day necessarily safe, and I was wondering if that applies only when you take class everyday and the extra classes are above that, or also in general.

I just can speak about dance training at tertiary level in the UK, but students here have more than 2 classes a day. IMO, it also depends if it is the same teacher or a different one. I have 2 classes in the morning and each teacher is doing something completely different - which is very challenging. Try it out and see how it goes. I think it becomes dangerous when you are not used to it. As I said before, you might want to skip some centre exercises if you think it is too much. Also, as Xena suggested, take the basic class to work on your technique :-)

• Administrators

I think where we drew the line was on a third ballet class. Personally, I don't feel that two are necessary, in most cases, as I think any additional classes should be pointe or variations or pas de deux, or jazz or modern. However, in the case of only two days a week, I think the two ballet classes will be fine, especially if they are different levels.

jaana, if it makes you feel any better I'm in exactly the same situation -- going from 4-5 classes a week to 2-3. I'm dreading it and I'm glad you asked the question, I'd been wondering the exact same thing this morning.

Thank you, DSL, Ms Leigh. The other class should be quite different from mine, working on basic alignment and simple combinations, less stuff on demi-pointe (and they are definitely not on pointe yet), no or very little grande allegro, etc. I think I am much better in "listening to my body" these days, too, so I will give it a go. I am sure it will not be as good as taking three days a week :D , but maybe it will be something.

you are all sooo lucky :D

i can only take two classes per week as that is all that is available to me where i live - couldnt find any other reputable teachers where i live and i dont drive :blink:

although my teacher is taking over a school a little bit further from where i live at the end of term, so this is extra incentive to pass my test - maybe then i could get three classes a week!!! :D

Guest highkix

I used to have a situation similar to yours (Jaana) and I did take the both two classes in a row. The first one allowed me to concentrate on the basic things and my technique improved A LOT! Also my teacher noticed that I was motivated to improve and gave me so much more attention than before. Being well warmed-up was definitely an advantage on the latter class although especially the excercices on the center sometimes did feel a bit rough. Your stamina will get better, however, so I would definitely take the both ones if I were you!

Thanks for the encouragement, pleiades, highkix. I'll do it, once the summer classes start.

cassy, I hope you get your third class! :)