Ballet Talk for Dancers

Why is my teacher doing this?!!

baking_balletdancer

Perhaps you should sit down with your teacher, provide a written evaluation of your knee and shins from your doctors and physical therapists, allow your teacher to read this information and then discuss a plan of study. You are behind your current class physically since you have not danced in 5 months. This could put you and your teacher at risk.

Students returning from injuries need to understand that although they feel better, may even be pain free, that does not mean they are ready to rock and roll at full force. A teacher, together with the student, is responsible for the progress and physical health of a student. It sounds to me like your teacher may be in performance mode. Try to relax and concentrate on getting back in shape.

how slow to start me back in classes because she, "can't trust me to tell her."

Knock, knock..Not a teen but a moderator here with a DD who has had SEVERAL injuries. Your Dance Teacher is being a responsible person. She knows the pattern of many a dancer who has come back after an extended injury and hidden pain from their teachers. It takes a very mature and focused dancer to see the slow, progressive return to dance is the best way to stay away from re-injury. Unfortunately, many dancers who do this will say, "it's okay" when in reality is isn't so that they can dance. Sometimes the passion of dance overtakes good common sense. I don't see it as your teacher not trusting you. I see it as your teacher being experienced enough to know that many a dancer will slight the truth so they can dance which is detrimental to them in the long run. Your teacher is trying to protect your long run. Thank her!

vj

Guest dancer522

Maybe she wants to start you out slowly because you've missed so much dance and are probably a little out of shape. She's probably also being cautious about the situation because she is worried that too much too soon will bring back your injuries. (Tendonitis is one of those things that can just keep going away and coming back.)

I'm sorry she doesn't trust you, but remember that she's not your friend, she's your ballet teacher. It's not the end of the world if she doesn't have complete trust in you, and the school year's almost over, too, so you'll probably have new teachers.

If her not having trust in you begins to affect your learning (like if she makes you sit out of class when you don't need to), tell her (politely) that your knee has not been hurting since you returned back to class, and that you will ask to sit out if it begins to. If she still doesn't believe you, bring in forms from your doctor, like vrsfanatic said.

• Administrators

Dancers, perhaps you need to understand why sometimes dancers can't be trusted. It is very much what momof3darlings said, that they want to dance so badly that they will say they are fine when they are not. It is not that she doesn't trust you personally, or thinks that you are dishonest, but she probably just understands dancers, and that when it comes to wanting to dance, they will ignore some things that could be important to their well being. This is not actually a bad thing, to be distrusted in this way. It means she recognizes that you are one of those who does not sit down and give up with a hang nail! :thumbsup:

Therefore, the doctors report should be submitted to her and a discussion with her about how much, how soon should be done. You need to trust HER, along with your doctor, to know how quickly you should expect to do certain things. After being out a long time it is far better to go slowly and carefully, in order not to let the injury come back. Even if you think you are fine, you can't just start out doing everything right away.

• Administrators

After posting the above, I noticed that the original post had been deleted by the poster. Baking balletdancer, why did you delete your post?

Hi -

I am not a teen and I'm not sure I can post here but...

Two years ago my daughter injured her knee in class and could not dance. After following doctor ordered exercises for three weeks, he (the doctor) gave the thumbs up to returning to a full dance schedule. Her teacher had other ideas and had her sit out for two additional weeks. Then when she began taking classes she was only permitted to take barre. It was actually 5 weeks after the doctor cleared her that she was permitted to do any of the jumps and grand plies in class.

As a parent, I have to say I was quite appreciative to the teacher for being so cautious, even if my DD was frustrated and thought she was too cautious! :thumbsup:

• Administrators

Dagny, in most cases parents are not allowed to post on the YD forums, however, this is relevant, and you are not the first, so we will leave it.

The thing is that unless the physician really knows something about ballet, and about what the dancers do and how the classes are structured, then the teacher has to make some decisions in terms of the injury and what things are appropriate and when. Most teachers have been through enough injuries of their own, plus injuries of students, to know, perhaps better than a lot of doctors, that certain things should not be done right away. Grand pliés and jumps, and also pointe work, simply should not be done until the student has worked back into them by starting with barre only, no grand pliés, and then adding the first part of center, and then maybe one jump which would be just the warm up jump, like only two foot sautés and changements, and then finally adding petit allegro and grand allegro and pointe work.

A good general rule is that the amount of time one is off determines the amount of time it takes to work back into full classes. Sometimes more can be done sooner, but usually not.

My brother has to get a letter from a doctor in order to be allowed to come back to football, wrestling, and lacrosse after injuries--for similar reasons. They were having a lot of boys who were injured ~3 or 4 weeks before a big game claiming that their knee was better, or their back, or whatever, and getting completely reinjured all over again.

I think it's entirely reasonable for ballet, too, because obviously ballet takes a huge demand on the body as well.

I would agree that it's way better to be safe then sorry!

Even though you are an honest person and everything like that, I can understand why your teacher would want you to start back cautiosly. My friend has a back problem and she lies to my teacher a fair bit. She will tell us that her back is killing her and that the doctor said to stop ballet for a few weeks and then tell the teacher she is fine. My teacher is doubtful of her, but still lets her dance. I think that it's wise for your teacher to be on the cautious side, because there are plenty of dishonest kids....

• Administrators

Since the original poster has deleted her post, I see no reason for this to continue. Thread closed unless I hear from the original poster.