Ballet Talk for Dancers

Marzipandreams

No word on anything yet, except a ballet professor sent my daughter an email that she enjoyed my d's video. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sgmca

• sparkles

• denipark

• Ed McPherson

Did anyone get a notice about the virtual meeting being today rather than Friday the 5th? 

5678balletmom

Yes we did. But I think they are different meetings. 

aprildupree

Yes. This meeting tonight is for JSOM financial aid. The meeting Friday/Saturday is specifically about the ballet program.

Marzipandreams

We didn't get any email about any meetings. Apparently Indiana has sent my daughter emails about passing the prescreen and to submit the class video, but her gmail was full and she didn't see any emails. She got in touch and they are giving her until tomorrow to submit it. My d was upset, but is coping!

5678balletmom

The meeting today was very general. They talked about the classes that are required, the timeline and they mentioned that the school has stayed open through Covid. Also mentioned they would try to send acceptances on March 1st,

5678balletmom

Best wishes to your daughter Marzipandreams!!

Marzipandreams

Thank you, 5678balletmom!! The anxiety with college auditions and summer intensives and school assignments has all been overwhelming for my d! Fortunately, she is almost finished college apps and the marking period ended, and she got the SI she wanted. I really want her in college next fall, but we are allowing her to also pursue a school/company training/job, as well. I honestly don't think there will be many hiring for the fall. 

balletmom729

The meeting last night seem more focused on the music students. A lot of what they were talking about really seemed music focused. Even the student panel they had were all Music students. No dancers. I suspect that the meetings this weekend on Friday and Saturday will be more pertinent.

@MarzipandreamsI share your anxiety. My dd is in the same position. Really wants to go to the trainee route but applying to college dance programs. And this is made so much more complicated because so many of the trainee/ 2nd company programs won’t tell you until the summer during the summer intensive. So you end up having to put all your eggs in one basket by picking a particular summer intensive. I’m not sure how you handle college acceptances with deadlines in May when you won’t know about a trainee spot until potentially July. This issue is not Indiana specific. I don’t know if there’s another thread that addresses this.

5678balletmom

Marzipandreams and Balletmom729  We are in the exact same position. My DD would love to go into a trainee position but we are also doing the school route just in case. As you both mentioned this year will be specially difficult to secure a position. So here we are applying to schools

balletmom729

I am not sure how you handle the difference in deadlines: University programs want to commitment by May 1. But many never know about training spots until mid summer. I would hate for her to give up a known college spot and then not end up with a trainee spot. I’m not sure what the etiquette is around accepting a college spot and then deferring? I’m also not sure about the timing of when you actually owe the college money😊 No older siblings so haven’t been down the university road before. Not sure if there is another thread that answers this. Any thoughts are appreciated.

5678balletmom

Balletmom 729 I have heard some schools let you defer for a year . But every school has a different  take on this. I have never done this before either so I am not sure. But a friend of my DD deferred for a year while trying a trainee position for a year. As you say I would want to have something for sure just in case before the summer otherwise the pressure would be incredible. 

balletmom729

Was your dd’s friend deferring from a university dance program?  I know of several of my dd’s friends who have deferred non- dance university spots. Just wondering if that’s the same for dance programs

5678balletmom

balletmom729 mmm... that is a very good question. I had not thought of that. You are right the deferral only applied to an academic spot.

Marzipandreams

Our plan for college is to accept the best college offer and that means paying a deposit. My son is a junior in college and his deposit was $500. We will be checking about their deferral policy. My d is hoping to get a trainee position, but we won't know in time to have that influence college. I would rather pay tuition than for expensive pre-pro training and have to find an apt and roommates etc. We have told her that she will have to have to find a way to pay for pre-pro if she doesn't have a scholarship or second company job. We will be able to help pay for college and be able to get student loans. She needs scholarships either way. She understands we are not going to borrow large amounts of money for college or ballet training. My husband is at retirement age, and we have another in college so it doesn't make sense to acquire substantial debt for a ballerina who will find it hard to repay!