Ballet Talk for Dancers

threegirlpileup

I'm sure dance departments vary (and I don't know about Indiana specifically) but it is common for deferred students to have to re-audition for their place in the program.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sgmca

• sparkles

• denipark

• Ed McPherson

balletmom729

Definitely makes sense that they would have to re-audition. 
sounds like while there is a deposit to hold a spot (and I’m sure that varies from school to school) you are not on the hook for the whole year’s tuition until they start in the fall? So if a trainee spot was offered over the summer you could take it and just lose the deposit? 

Marzipandreams

That's what I believe. The deposit saves your spot, but tuition bill is due just before school starts. Of course, the deferral may mean losing scholarships as well. I honestly want my d at college because the pandemic has put arts institutions so close to the edge. I feel she will have better access to many resources at college than with a school/company. 

Marzipandreams

We attended a zoom question and answer session for the dance program. It was super helpful and really encouraging! The program sounds so top-notch. My d really loved hearing about the fantastic faculty, the wonderful facilities, and from the students. The COVID measures sounded very good. It would be fantastic if my d could attend!!!

balletmom729

We attended the same zoom info meeting! We walked away hugely impressed. I think my dd would be thrilled to get in.

Marzipandreams

Good luck to everyone applying! My d just got in Butler and Oklahoma and UNCSA. IU is her first choice.

5678balletmom

We also watched the zoom meeting. The program sounds fabulous. And Congratulations Marzipandreams!!!

Marzipandreams

Thank you, 5678balletmom! Good luck to your dancer!

• 3 weeks later...
Marzipandreams

My d got good news yesterday, admitted to Indiana! Now we just need to hear from the ballet dept!!!

Check your spam folders for an email from Jacobs. Turns out my daughter’s acceptance has been sitting in spam since Sunday! 

2 hours ago, MMPMom said:

Check your spam folders for an email from Jacobs. Turns out my daughter’s acceptance has been sitting in spam since Sunday! 

OMG yes my daughter also found hers this morning!!  Lesson learned - check that spam folder occasionally!  

balletmom729

Is anyone else still waiting to hear? My dd checked spam and email and hasn’t gotten anything yet. 

5678balletmom

My daughter has not heard either. The only email she received was from Ms. Wroth on Friday to watch a showing/filming of the students through zoom.

Marzipandreams

We have not heard from I.U. yet, but d got in Butler for ballet.

At the virtual info season and Q and A recently with the dance dept, they said there was a hard date by which they would notify, but hoped to be before then. Was the hard date April 1 and hopefully before? My mind was hoping it was March 1, does anyone remember? Thanks