Ballet Talk for Dancers

Boston Ballet School

Does anyone know the age range for the new Professional Division at Walnut Hill?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bluemountain

• Danicole07

• ollieshadow

bluemountain

It's based on the high school curriculum of the school. 9th-12th grades.

danceparentpdx

Hi Balletly - Walnut Hill is high school grades 9-12th, so I would say it is your typical high school age range, which usually goes to 18, maybe 19 for some, depending on the age they started. 

• 1 month later...
Danicole07

pirouetteprincess100, how did the audition go for your dd?

pirouetteprincess100

Very very impressed! We are waiting to hear her result. I didn’t send all of her required paperwork in until this week so I don’t expect anything soon.

BTW, I think both of our girls were at SAB last summer. 

Danicole07

pirouetteprincess100, yes my DD was there!!  She will miss NYC this summer and has such a great experience. She is staying in Boston for SI, and will be transitioning to WH with the merger. Wishing your dd the best of luck and a great SI! 

Edited by dancemaven
Edited for privacy.
pirouetteprincess100

Edited for privacy.

pirouetteprincess100

DD just received acceptance to the Boston Ballet Professional Division for the 2020/2021 school year. Good luck to all who auditioned. Our email came early this morning.

Danicole07

pirouetteprincess100, CONGRAULATION!! Hoping to see you on campus this fall. My dd will be a junior!!!!

MoDance

Yayyyy!!!!  Pirouetteprincess100, CONGRAULATIONS!!! 

pirouetteprincess100

Thanks everyone! DD is over the moon excited!

• 6 months later...

Looking for feedback now that program has transitioned to Walnut Hill.  I am questioning the cost of the Boston Ballet pre-pro program.  Is there a way for students to be de-coupled from the academic program at Walnut HIll?  And transferring in junior year of high school seems very disruptive academically.  Cost at $62k per year is crazy, if not looking for the academic but mainly for ballet training.  It is way over the top compared to other US and even UK schools.  I totally get the value of a Walnut Hill education, but if not wanting to get that education, and also transferring in towards end of high school, should we just cross this program off list of possibilities?

momofaboy

The academic and ballet programs are totally coupled. You can't take the Boston Ballet pre-pro program without the Walnut Hill academic program. 

Thank you momofaboy.  With the price tag I just wouldn’t be able to justify it for starting the program at age 16, junior year of high school.  Completely ridiculous price tag for a student wanting to dance professionally, with college as a Plan B. Along with challenges of switching to that type of academic program in the middle of high school while dancing at such a high level.  Unless the dancing hours are not as much as other residential programs.  Am I missing something that others are seeing?  I guess they would be recruiting dancers age 14 for Freshman year now, not ages 16/17?