Ballet Talk for Dancers
Michelle_r

Boston Ballet School

ballet=oxygen2me

What does it mean? I am assuming it's not trainee, but what IS it? Does anyone know anything about it? or what it means? :shrug:

thanks!

-ballet=oxygen2me :)

Edited by ballet=oxygen2me

Arts4

I think they are referring to the four levels: Intermediate 2i & 3i and Advanced 1i & 2i, which are below the Trainee level, which is the top level in the school. BBII is a part of the company, not the school.

From Boston Ballet's web site:

"The four programs of Boston Ballet School follow a pyramid formation. The Children’s Program provides students with a firm foundation in ballet fundamentals while also inspiring a life-long love of dance. Students enter the second stage of our school, the Classical Ballet Program at approximately age 8. Following the Elementary levels of the Classical Ballet Program, the School adds an additional, more rigorous course of study called the Intensive Program. The Trainee Program sits at the top of the pyramid."

The Children’s Program

Rhythm and Movement; Creative Dance; Pre-Ballet 1 & 2; Primary

Classical Ballet Program:

Elementary 1, 2 & 3; Intermediate 1, 2 & 3; Advanced 1 & 2

Intensive Program:

Intermediate 2i & 3i; Advanced 1i & 2i

Trainee

ballet=oxygen2me

so it's not trainee? or would it be Adv. 1i and/or 2i? or intermediate or w.e.?

boxwoodgirl

Hello,

Maybe I can help, as my daughter is a student at the school. When the children reach the Intermediate 2 level, some continue in the regular classical ballet track, and others are invited into the intensive track. This basically means more classes for the more serious student. So, for example, some kids of the same age group/level will be in Intermediate 2 and others will be in Intermediate 2i. It's the same level; it's just that Intermediate 2i will have more classes and are tracking toward training for a professional career. The teachers are the same. I have the pleasure of watching an advanced class (not intensive track) when I'm waiting for my daughter on Saturdays. They are taught by an excellent teacher who also teaches classes in the intensive division, and they look lovely.

You should call the school for further clarification. They are very friendly there, and will be happy to answer your questions.

Best,

Boxwoodgirl

boxwoodgirl

My apologies, Ballet=O2. I just read your post on another thread and realize you were asking an entirely different question, based on your summer intensive acceptance letter. Do call the school and ask. They will be happy to help you. ~Boxwoodgirl

nikki94

My daughter also received the letter guaranteeing her a spot in the pre pro intensive program. We are wondering how many are actually accepted into the intensive program? Are the classes huge? Does anyone know how many of these intensive students go on to become trainees with BB or BBII (not really sure how the progression works)?

ollieshadow

As Boxwoodgirl suggested, you can call the school with questions. They are very helpful.

In general BB trainees are usually selected from participants in SDP-Boston and from the year-round Adv2i level. After participating in last summer's SDP-Boston session, students were placed in Adv1i, Adv2i or trainee. Boston Ballet may be planning for next year and trying to capture students early for their year-round program.

BB trainees are not automatically accepted into BB II. Although in the past some have joined BBII but not all. The trainee program is a 2 year program and not all stay for the full 2 years.

beauty of dance

Hello,

Our DD also received an invitation to the pre-pro year round program. She did attend their summer program 2 years ago when she was 11 years....and declined their summer offer last year and this year. We are beginning our search for the year-round program that will fit her needs best (but not anticipating that she will begin year-round till fall 2010, as she is only 13 now). I was under the impression that Boston does not provide any residency program....has this changed? Also, I was told that you have to "fin for yourself" when searching for an academic program.

If anyone has any feedback or knowledge would really appreciate it!

ballet=oxygen2me
My apologies, Ballet=O2. I just read your post on another thread and realize you were asking an entirely different question, based on your summer intensive acceptance letter. Do call the school and ask. They will be happy to help you. ~Boxwoodgirl

thanks!! I think my mom and I (she, hehe) are/is going to! But thanks so much!

ollieshadow

Beauty of Dance I think there is information on the Boston Ballet website about the type of housing that is available for year-round students. It's the Grace Academy. You'll have to look around under the Boston Ballet School section as I'm not sure exactly where it is. I think there is also information about the academic program. Also in the past some students have lived with host Boston Ballet families but I'm not sure how that works. Best to contact the school about that. Also, since your DD is 13, you might want to ask about the minimum age in the Grace Academy. Hope this helps.

Pasdetrois

We also received year round pre-pro offers. This seems a little different to their usual strategy! I hate to be cynical but in these tough financial times it seems a little suspect. Like other ballet companies they need to keep money coming in and keep the standard up. It's a nice accolade but I'm just wondering why so many are getting these offers and all on the same day!At the SI audition they suggested my daughter go to one of the company auditions. She was also invited to do company class. After such suggestions, it seems a little odd to be offered a school spot as well!

ballet=oxygen2me

I heard maybe they're trying to make a new program. I don't know. But that's the latest that I've heard.

ollieshadow

ballet=oxygen2me where did you get your information about this? Some small changes to the program were made last year. Boston Ballet currently has a classical ballet track and an intensive ballet track, trainee and BBII I'd love to know the source of your information. Thanks.

nikki94

Pasdetrois, I agree it was a nice accolade but suspect. If for nothing else it completely motivated and excited my dd who has been a little burnt out lately w/school, ballet and life. It was definitely that little push that she needed.

mcrm55

There is other material on the year round intensive program in this thread, and perhaps this is where oxygen2me got her impression:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?...aded&start=

Here is the page on the BBS site that is about the INTENSIVE program, as opposed to the Classical Ballet, Children's or Trainee programs, as delineated so nicely by Arts4 on page 3 of the current thread:

http://www.bostonballet.org/school/08-09ba...letclasses.html

Hope this helps, but as many have pointed out, the most direct way of finding out is probably just to call... :yes: