Ballet Talk for Dancers
AnneT

Ballet Schools in Arizona - Phoenix area

ballerama

My dd would like to attend their full time year round program but housing is an issue. Does anyone know of any billeting or housing opportunities fo r a 16 year old attending Master Ballet Academy full time? 

mmballet

ballerama,

There are many families who host dancers at Master Ballet Academy. If you call the studio they can send out an email or point you in the right direction. 

L_One

Has your dancer already auditioned for the year-round program ballerama? There are several families that host year-round students from out-of-state but if I recall correctly, most of those placements came after the dancer was already accepted to pre-pro.

ballerama

yes she has been accepted into the full-time year round program. The challenge is the housing - I checked recently and the school said they don't have any families they can suggest they are all full. 

L_One

In that case I would check again in May as some families may know if they are bringing their dancers back home or if spots will open up because students are accepting trainee or apprentice positions. 

balanchine_ballerina

I've been searching the forum for information on Ballet Arizona's training school -- specifically the year round pre-professional study. Most of what I can find is only related to the SI, or very outdated. So far I've auditioned for SBAZ, applied for the academic program (Arizona School for the Arts) and I receive the results on March 29th. Moving from the east coast just try to get into this school has been nerve-wracking! I've visited the school several times to take class within the last few months and I'm in love!:wub: The facility is beautiful with seven studios and the teacher I've had for the drop-in classes is amazing. While I know the basics about the program (levels, classes taken, etc.)  There are some little things I wish I knew; like what's the uniform? how does the whole light rail system work? How long are the days at the school? If I'm accepted I will find all of this out in April/May, but I just can't stop thinking about it :rolleyes: Does anyone have any random details about the school?

geb2003

Hi Balanchine_Ballerina -- my daughter attended the SI and received year-round placement at SBAZ two years ago. She also attended Arizona School for the Arts, so I can provide some answers to your questions. From materials we received two years ago, the training for PP levels is 6 days a week (M-Sat.). When you go to ASA for school, your school day starts at 7:45 and ends at lunchtime (12:20?). At 12:45, the ballet students get bussed to SBAZ. If you are in the SBAZ PP levels, you do your homework there from 1-3, as those ballet classes typically start later in the day. If you are not enrolled in SBAZ but are just an ASA ballet major, then your classes are from 1-3pm. The uniform is a black camisole leotard - SBAZ gives you order info (I think it was a certain Motionwear brand). ASA requires the same leo, you can look on the school website for art class requirements. The light rail system in Phoenix is convenient traveling to certain points but it is not as comprehensive a transportation system as other major cities, so you can't completely rely on it to get you everywhere. I'm just as curious as you regarding next year - there is a new school director there obviously!

balanchine_ballerina

Thank you for replying, geb2003! As of right now I should be starting out as a ballet major, as I missed the PP auditions, but I'm hoping to eventually reach PP. Are the ASA students treated *differently* at SBAZ? I'm afraid that they would be treated as..lower status? Like the PP students are more important. As for ASA, I've heard the most competitive grades to get into are 5th and 9th grade. Do you know if there's a large amount of applicants for 10th grade? Thank you so much for all the details, I really appreciate it! :D

geb2003

Arizona School for the Arts has the most openings at 5th grade because that's the entry point for the school. They take 125 students in 5th grade. Openings at each grade level moving forward depends on how many students continue to enroll. So if 20 of this year's 5th graders decide to go somewhere else for 6th grade, then that's how many openings there will be for next year's 6th grade. 9th grade does have more openings, because many 8th graders decide to attend their neighborhood high schools, where there are plenty of extracurricular activities (sports), clubs and organizations. The lottery system is just that - a lottery. If you get waitlisted, just keep your number, check back regularly, and stay on the list until there is an opening. You'll eventually get in!

balanchine_ballerina

Found out the other day I was offered a spot. Now I can relax and focus on the remaining school year. I was in a group text with the girls from the ballet audition, and one of them was completely rejected in February without a lottery number, two are still wait listed, and one other was offered a spot. There's a parent meeting in two weeks which will provide more information but I do have one right now. When you're offered a spot and it states your ballet placement; is intermediate ballet the default? Do all high school students place in that first unless they're previous SBAZ students? Everyone I know has that on their acceptance email. I'm assuming there's more placement classes in the fall? Summer is a long time where technique can change. 

L_One

Congratulations on your acceptance to ASA. It's been several years but my daughter attended in 5th grade (it was just too far to keep up the drive and she switched ballet schools so it didn't make sense for us to stay). She was placed on the wait list and got in pretty quickly, which was nice. It sounds like perhaps they do things a little differently now for the older students? Is intermediate taught onsite at ASA or at SBAZ? I may have missed it in a previous post so my apologies but are you enrolling at SBAZ also? If so, do you know which level?

balanchine_ballerina

Thank you, L_One :) From what it sounds like, intermediate is taught at ASA in one of the studios there. Intermediate also happens to be the "starting" or bare minimum level for high school students. I've had to take almost six months off from intense training due to A: moving cross-country, and B: having to care for a previous knee injury (this is what leads me to believe maybe I was placed because of the gap), I'm hoping next spring if all goes well and I can move up to classical core, then I can audition for the full time pre-pro training. I'm just a bit disappointed, even with classical core, because of the fact that ballet technique is only three times a week. I just crave that intense training of the PP levels. 

geb2003

Balanchine_ballerina -- ASA will do evaluations regularly. Will you be doing the SI at School of Ballet Arizona this summer? Don't worry about placement; ASA and SBAZ work together, and you will learn what you need to do to move up levels. Like everything, listen to your teachers, work hard, apply corrections, and make your journey about your personal growth and improvement!

balanchine_ballerina

geb2003 -- I won't be attending the official intensive but plan on attending drop ins regularly. That's good to know about the evaluation process. I was afraid that I might be stuck in a level that I possibly don't belong in for the entire year. The audition for ASA didn't go as well as I'd hoped -- I want to be able to prove my true technique. Thank you for the information and advice!! Besides from what was heard at the information night in November and from the websites, My mother and I don't know a ton about both ASA and SBAZ so this was very helpful!