Ballet Talk for Dancers

apprenticing

Guest balletkitty18

Guest balletkitty18

I was just asked to be an apprentice the other day. I'm 16 and i'll be a junior next year. I'm very excited about being an apprentice but i know i'll be missing alot at school. For example, friends, prom,etc. I'm just not too sure about homeschooling.This is such a hard decision to make. Can anyone help me?

• Administrators

balletkitty, an apprentice for what company? Professional? Civic? Small studio company? Give us some idea of exactly what this means, as there are many, many different levels of apprenticeship out there. Generally professional companies hire dancers who are finished with school. Is this a paid position? In order to help you we need more information.

Guest balletkitty18

There have been many famous people who danced there and now they are at ABT and other places. My one friend just won Grand Prix and will be at the studio company at ABT and she was an appretice this year.She said that homeschooling is hard. I'm not sure if homeschooling is the right choice.

• Administrators

Okay, that's certainly a professional company :) Our company also uses the top dancers from the school for some productions, however they are still in school so how much they can do is limited. Are they asking you to work full time with the company, or to continue as a student and work after school/evenings/weekends with the company? If you are headed for a career in ballet, this would be a good opportunity for you, as long as you can work it out with schooling. However, if you are not, then perhaps it would not be such a good thing to commit yourself to something that requires that much time. What are they asking of you in terms of time commitment?

Editing to add: I was writing the above when you made your last post. If it requires home schooling, the hardest part of that is having the discipline to stay with it and finish. I have worked with a lot of home schooled students, and most of them do very well. If you are at the same level as the lovely dancer who won Grand Prix in NY, I would have to assume that you are hoping and aiming for a career in ballet. The experience of performing with the company would be very good. Obviously it worked quite well for your friend. :D

Guest balletkitty18

They want me to dance with them full time. i've already worked with the company afterschool for nutcracker and other productions before. I just want to make sure that i'm making the right choice.

• Administrators

If you are having a hard time making this decision, then I think perhaps it's not right for you. Unless perhaps you are really just too young. I'm assuming you are 16? If you are not at least 16, then I think it might be a bit premature to work full time with the company. But my first thought is that, if you are questioning this, then ballet is not the number one priority in your life. That is fine, it doesn't have to be, unless of course you want to join your friends and dance with ABT. :) I'm just going to assume that you are at a very advanced level, and technically ready, or they would not ask. However, if you feel you are not ready, then it's okay to wait another year. I think you should talk to your teachers about this. Sometimes it's best to continue training, and focus more on that than on performing. Sometimes not. But we can't know. If the reasons for not doing it are fear of home schooling or not wanting to give up proms, then I think you are not ready for the company yet.

Guest brokenswan

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but... i hear so much about people apprenticing (sp?) with professional companies when they are in their late teens. I am 15 (almost 16) and i am only an "trainee" (higher than apprentice) with my studio's company. Am I way behind (if I want to persue a professional career)? Do I still have a chance in making it to the professional dance world?

• Administrators

No way for us to know that, brokenswan. Every school is different in how they handle trainees, apprentices and company members. And we don't know the school or the level of the company members versus apprentices and trainees. I think you get more information on where you stand in the professional world from your SI acceptances and levels.

Brokenswan,

Ms. Leigh is so right. I am a Senior Company Member for our dance company. While that is super great for where I live, on a professional standard, I don't think I would make it past their highest school level.... It really helps me when I go away to summer programs (im 16 right now)...it totally allows you to see where you stand, and without getting down on yourself, you focus on improvments and remember that many girls there are way older than you...so you still have time..