Ballet Talk for Dancers

dancers and tattoos?

balletboyrhys

i recently got a small tattoo on my ankle, i am an 18 year old aspiring male dancer. was this a bad move? i guessed that if i needed to i could always cover it. what do you think? i didn't really know where to post this but let me know what you think.

personally i dont think it really matters...if the person that hires you does care you can always cover it up with thick foundation. Good luck with that...PEACE :blink:

Edited by Victoria Leigh

Usually you can cover most small, discreet (and discrete) tattoos with a proper foundation, or if that doesn't work, with a square of nylon stocking over the area stuck with surgical adhesive and then covered with foundation. The difficulty comes when you get older. Remember, as time passes, everything gets larger, hairier and closer to the ground. A guy I used to work with got a devil's face tattooed on his knee. Now it's a groundhog.

Are there any "no xzones" regarding tattoo's concerning males dancing? I am thinking of places (other than the face, ofcourse) that maybe would be less suited for a dancer?!

Remember, if you have to cover a tattoo, you don't want it magically appearing on your person because the foundation has scraped off on your partner. Looking at choreography and costume design today, I'd say that tattoos are not recommended anywhere.

Guest abstractlines

They make a special foundation that is nornally used for people with severe birthmarks or scarring. It is insanely thick-and water proof (you can swim with it on). Ask a dermatoligist where to obtain it. It can be expensive but if your tattoo is small it should last you several performances.

• 1 year later...

(Knock, knock)My husband has a tattoo on his lower back that was specifically placed to be covered by the waist band of his dance belt so that it would never be a problem. It has only been an issue once and that was for a ballet we once did about the Holocaust in which at one point he was costumed in a barely there nude brief. It was so small that the dance belt he (and all the other men...) had to fold that waist elastic in half and sew it down. As a result the top part of his tattoo showed. He bought this "Elastoplast" stretchy flesh colored tape that we covered it with. It ultimately just looked like the top of the brief.

~Pointe1432 =)

Knocking added by moderator.

Edited by Mel Johnson

Knock, Knock - non male moderator chiming in... I noticed in the Men of ABT calendar that there are a number of guys sporting tatoos. Some of them quite large! Check out the Making of the Calendar video or the Making of the 2006 calendar photos on the Archives page and you will see a few of these tatoos up close! I know one of these young men and so I've paid particular attention when seeing him on TV dancing with ABT and there are no tatoos in sight.

The name of the makeup described above is Dermablend. It is a very thick paste that comes in a small jar. It is available at Marshall Fields and likely other upscale dept. stores in the cosmetics section. It is really good stuff. It covers EVERYTHING and does not rub off. They had a very impressive ad campaign back in the 80's using a NY fashion model who at the height of her career had her face slashed horribly by someone while she was walking down the street. It showed her without the makeup and with it. The difference was nothing short of amazing.

And of course, for the fashion-conscious, today there are high-density skin image transfers, a more sophisticated version of the old "cockamamies" that used to come in Cracker Jack boxes and the like, which will not wash off in water, so good for the beach.

Usually you can cover most small, discreet (and discrete) tattoos with a proper foundation, or if that doesn't work, with a square of nylon stocking over the area stuck with surgical adhesive and then covered with foundation. The difficulty comes when you get older. Remember, as time passes, everything gets larger, hairier and closer to the ground. A guy I used to work with got a devil's face tattooed on his knee. Now it's a groundhog.

If that is true Mr. Major Mel, why do I keep losing hair from my head? Henna tatoos are less permanent. I have some funny jokes about toatoos, but this is a family newsgroup.

Mike

• 2 years later...

I have a rather large tattoo on my waist at my dancebelt line. Part of the tattoo actually shows above the dancebelt, but it doesn't really show through when I wear white tights... and you don't notice it much when I am shirtless. I did do a ballet where we had to fold our dancebelts in half, shirtless, and wearing bikini briefs.... about 2/3 of the tattoo did show, but I wasn't asked to cover it. I do own Dermablend should I need to cover it.... but have never been asked.

I have seen a number of tattoo's on dancers in modern and contemporary companies, so it is becoming more accepted. I would suggest keeping your tattoo on your lower leg, or the trunk of your body. It it harder to cover on your arms, especially with so many different sleeve options in costuming.