Ballet Talk for Dancers

Back Flexibility

Guest Ashlee2

Guest Ashlee2

A question, I was just wondering if anyone could know why this is happening. When I was little i did gymnastics and dance, and I had amazing back flexibility. I could take one foot and arch my back standing up so that my foot was touching my nose. I took some time off due to being a kid, and I was just wondering why my lower back flexibility never losened up again. I can stretch backwards (like in a tendu derriere, and stretch back really far) but my arabesques are pathetic! I was just wondering if something happened, - my teacher knows about this and asks me if I ever had a lower back injury, but I don't ever remember having one.

This is kind of a scatterbrained question, sorry. I was just wondering if there is an explanation and anything I could do to fix it.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Ashlee, in gymnastics you did not have to be turned out! Being able to bend the back enough to pull the leg that far, without rotation, is very different from making a good arabesque, where it's not only the back flexibility, but also the hips and rotation.

I can think of two things it might be....

1) As you grew, you lost strength in your back, hence, the ability to maintain and hold your flexibile back in arabesque

2) You are now using more rotation, correctly holding your abs, not pitching forward, etc.. and are therefore can't get it up as high....

Just a thought

---S

Furthermore, now you're older and fussier, and you know now that arabesque is more than sticking your leg out in back of you somewhere! :thumbsup:

Guest Ashlee2

Haha, yes. I must agree with Mr. Johnson! Do you know any good excercises to get it back up there? Naturally, I am very flexible. I have hyperflexibilty, and my doctors warn me to be careful b/c my joints are looser than the average person. The only place that doesn't seem to bend is my lower back!

Thanks!

Not an exercise, but an image to hold onto when you take an arabesque. As the leg goes up, there is a lift out of the supporting hip and an ever so slight opening of the working hip. At the same time, the upper body reaches upward and forward, sort of a diagonal, and the penché comes when you can't reach diagonally up any further. It's a sort of "go up to go down"!

My teacher always tells the girls to imagine a hilltop: YOu have to stretch so you can se over the top of the hill before you go down on the other side.. Sort of the same thig as Mj.Mel is descrbing.