Ballet Talk for Dancers

Intensive preparation

Kate B

Hi, I'm so excited because I have just booked myself in for a short intensive. I have done a kind of intensive before, at Easter, when I did one contemporary class every day for 6 days. This time I am going to do one ballet (RAD-elementary level) and one contemporary (Graham, level 2) class every day for 5 days. This will be 2 1.5 hour classes every morning with a half hour break in between. I've never done so much dancing at once but I really feel that it will help me improve a lot and perhaps help me get back to where I was when I was at my best.

I'm pretty much injury-free now (besides the lingering paranoia that it will return) but I would like to know what sort of things people would recommend for keeping well and not burning out during that time. It's not until the end of July, so I have time to train if there is anything extra I should be doing. Currently I do about 3 classes a week (a mixture of ballet and contemporary.)

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

Relax. Keep up your normal schedule, and you'll be able to do this one practically standing on your head.

Cool. I was really pleased when I asked my teachers what classes to go for and they said I should take the intermediate ones and not the beginner ones, which I'd thought I was good enough for. I think I maybe underestimate what I'm capable of, which is why something like this will be good for me. Thanks for your reply, Mjr J.

If your teachers advise you to take the more advanced class, I'd heed it. Just don't drop the frequency with which you take class. :o

Where is this intensive? I can never seem to find any appropriate ones.

It's here:

www.theplace.org.uk

I love it at The Place. The teachers are fantastic. Sorry it's not in Scotland though. I used to live in Scotland, and the summer holidays were always so difficult because there was no dancing!

I'm native to England originally and I have a lot of family in the Kent area who don't mind having me for a week or 2!!