Ballet Talk for Dancers
Siegelife

The 'bite' out of the side of the file icon

Siegelife

I'm just wondering....the symbol used-I believe it 's file-that tells how 'hot' the topic is......well, what is the difference between one that if completely filled in and the one that has a bite out of the corner? I know what each color means and when it fades, just wondering what the bite means? I hope you understand this. :)

BW

If you're talking about that little orange square with a corner "bitten" off or white, I believe that indicates a particular thread that has a new post on since you last visited the thread.

Once you click on that thread and see the new posts and then return to a "refreshed" new page, you will not see that little orange square icon anymore.

That's what I've discovered, anyway. :thumbsup: There may be more subtlties, but that's my take from my checking it out right now for you.

Edited by BW

Siegelife

Thanks BW. I will watch that!!

ashatNYU
If you're talking about that little orange square with a corner "bitten" off or white, I believe that indicates a particular thread that has a new post on since you last visited the thread.

Just to be a bit more specific, I think it indicates a particular thread has a new post since you last POSTED in that thread :thumbsup:

BW

Nope, you don't have to have posted on the thread in question...I've double checked that one. :shrug: For example just now the thread about Jazz Pants for Tall Dancers shows up as a little bitten orange square and I haven't posted on it - or, gulp!, even looked at it.

So I think that shows that it's an icon that alerts you to a new post on any thread that is on a page that you have looked at previously...for example I use "view new posts" pretty regularly and thus - I see those squares pretty often. Thus my earlier post isn't quite accurate now. :blushing::thumbsup: I believe (until I'm either proven wrong or prove myself wrong! :wacko: ) that they will stay orange unless I actually bother to click on them...

Hmm, more complex than I'd thought. :flowers::P

P.S. To be clear the whole concept of a "hot topic" is designated by the folders in the far left column of the titles. If you scroll down to the bottom of the forum page you will see the different colors, etc., of the folders and what they mean.

Edited by BW

ashatNYU

Interesting! I use the "View New Posts" link as well (every morning in fact!) and I never see the "bite" out of a folder unless I have posted in that thread. Ah technology ... too complex for me!