Ballet Talk for Dancers

Classes for Summer

luv2dance515

I didn't have time to try out for a summer intensive, so I'm taking classes at my home studios. :shrug: So, here's my schedule:

first two weeks of July: nothing :flowers:

third week in July:

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 9:30 to 10 stretching, 10 to 11:30 technique, 11:30 to 12 pointe

Friday, Saturday, Sunday: nothing

last week of July: nothing

From August 9 to September 1:

Tuesday: 12 to 1:30 ballet/pointe

Wednesday: 11:30 to 1 ballet/pointe

Thursday: 12 to 1:30 ballet/pointe

Is this enough? It's the best I can do! :thumbsup: What should I do during the gaps?

• Administrators

No, not enough, but if that is all you can do, then that is what you do. Work at home as much as possible on stretching. Can you add some Pilates work somehow?

I have a somewhat similar question.

I'm 15, and I've just about caught up to my age level in ballet, but it's been a fairly hard struggle. :yes: At least I've caught up, though, which is the important thing in the end. :party:

My summer schedule looks like this:

June 6-June 17:

M,T,W,T,F I have 1.5 technique, 1.5 modern/jazz (switches), 1.25 pilates, and 1.25 or 1.5 pointe every day.

S - 1.5 hours of ballet somewhere else. S - nothing.

June 17-July 17-- I think the schedule currently looks like 1.5 of ballet every day but Sunday, 1.5 of pointe 2x a week, 1 modern class, 1 variations class, and I recently met a former dancer who's been teaching pilates, and taken a few classes from her, so I might be doing some work on machines with her (she's offering a pretty significant discount, because she's friends with my teacher).

July 17-22, I'm going to be taking 1.5 of ballet, 1.5 of pointe, and some random number of flamenco, pilates, and modern every day (I don't know what.)

Then I'm going to the beach, so nothing for a week.

And then for the rest of August, it'll look like June 17-July 17, except for 5 days when I'm going to be taking 4 hours of ballet per night from John Magnus.

I think that I'm planning on doing roughly enough, but I had a couple of questions, too. :)

1. Do you think that the work on the reformer will be very worthwhile? She's been really helpful so far in helping me stretch my upper back and loosen my hip flexors a bit, and she told me that she'd be willing to work with us on the machines for about $15 or $20 an hour, as a favor to our teacher.

2. Would it be a good idea to add more pointe classes? I'm thinking so, but I wasn't quite sure. I'd be having three 1.5 hour pointe classes a week, but I could get two more classes in.

3. Would it be a good idea to take two technique classes on Saturday and maybe some other days in the week when I don't have pointe/modern/variations? Or would it probably be a better idea to rest?

Thanks so much!

• Administrators

It sounds pretty good, actually, Marentha! Some additional pointe classes might be good, and I think that would be better than two tech. on Sat. The Pilates work on the Reformer should also be very good! I say go for it :yes:

Nowhere near me offers Pilates, so I can't. But, I might be able to add a strentghning class after the pointe...