Ballet Talk for Dancers

schedules

Guest london_dancer

Guest london_dancer

I am planning on starting pineapple this coming month as i can't find any graded classes.

I see I could take 5/6 ballet classes - 3/4 beg & 2 beg/elem - per week.

I want to get in at least 1 jazz (beg) and 1 jazz tap (beg) class a week also but this would mean loosing 1 ballet class.

Come October my classes would drop to 3 ballet (beg) and 1 jazz (beg). I could take jazz tap (elem) and Ballet (int) but I don't think i'd be ready.

What would you suggest?

Hi there,

I saw your other post about gradeed classes and I'd suggest trying a different place other than Pineapple if you want to have some sense of learning and progress you'd get from doing a grade class. The ballet classes at The Place are really good, really friendly and well taught, and I think you can do the RAD grades as an adult at the London Studio Centre. Beckster who sometimes posts on BA used to go to the London Studio Centre when she lived in London did grade 7 and Intermediate (what used to be called Elementary) and thought the classes were great (and there were not many people in the class, which is always the problem with open classes in central London.) I'd avoid the Inter open ballet classes at Pineapple unless you are really good at ballet - if they are like the ones at Danceworks a lot of professional dancers show up to them and unless you are really confident it can make you feel like you shouldn't be there somehow.

Sorry I can't be more help. I do 2 ballet classes a week and 2 contemporary ones, and I just about find it manageable. But then I work long hours and all the travelling around on public transport gets me down. :D

Have you thought about Morley College, although it is termly they offer a whole range of classes. In most dance forms and more important levels.

Tara

Guest london_dancer
Have you thought about Morley College, although it is termly they offer a whole range of classes.  In most dance forms and more important levels.

Tara

yeah i'm going there in September.

About the 'london studio centre' i can only find 2 adult classes on their timetable one is 'ADULT BALLET, RAD Grade 7, (Level 2)' the other is 'ADULT BALLET, (Level 2)'

Not much help over the summer months, but you might want to have a think about the RAD adult evening classes, starting again in mid-September.

Guest london_dancer

yeah i've been thinking of going to RAD, they do two adult classes plus grades and vocational claases though I think the latter 2 are for kids.

I don't have to take RAD though, anything would do.

Edited by london_dancer

what about ENB - arent they running any adult classes?

perhaps fish would know, she has taken some evening classes - i ithink on tuesday!!?

maybe you could pm fish - or maybe she will reply here?! :thumbsup:

I finally found the email with the details for ENB adult classes

TUESDAY: 7.00-8.15 PM

LOWER STUDIO July 5 – Sep 6 2005

Suitable for beginners or those with basic ballet knowledge

UPPER STUDIO July 5 – Sep 6 2005

Previous experience of ballet required.

Tara

TUESDAY: 7.00-8.15 PM

LOWER STUDIO July 5 – Sep 6 2005

UPPER STUDIO July 5 – Sep 6 2005

Tara

Guest london_dancer

TUESDAY:  7.00-8.15 PM

LOWER STUDIO      July 5 – Sep 6 2005

UPPER STUDIO        July 5 – Sep 6 2005

Tara

thank you i have emailed them to get more details. i would be interested in taking the beginners class.

Thinking of Pineapple for ballet and Jazz at weekends, Morley on a friday and 'the place' on wednesday. Or i might try LSC instead on 'the place'

Because most of our local studios are in "summer break" classes are hard to find. I want to focus on ballet, but may not be able to with the schedules. I could take jazz or modern...of the two, what would be best considering when the fall schedule swings back around ballet will be my focus. What is most compatible? I've done a bit of jazz before but have never done modern.

IMO, I find Modern very fun! I take Grade 6 ISTD Modern Classes and I am finding that they are helping immensely with my Ballet and vice versa! We do a lot of core strengthening and back loosening exercises which have really helped with my back problems!