• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calamitous

• hushinfazen

• KayP

• therese

Delaware Dance Mom

I have spent hours on this board since joining, but have never posted. I want to thank all the regular contributors, as you've shared so much wonderful information. I've appreciated being able to read the insights from other parents and students. My first post is also a celebration - my daughter received her acceptance to Point Park in yesterdays mail. Having access to this forum, and being able to benefit from the experiences and observations of others has been invaluable as we made our decisions. Thank you!

Congratulations Delaware dance mom. If you have followed my posts you will know that DD is a freshman at PPU and loving every minute.

DDM, that is the best news, congratulations! :)

My daughter plans on auditioning there. Can you let us know how the audition was? How many, does everyone do a solo, etc? Thanks.

Arizona Native

Delaware -- great news! Perhaps you'd be willing to share a bit about your DD's dance journey, to help others for the future?

Delaware Dance Mom

My daughter just turned 18 this week, and started dance late - when she was 10. But she loved it from her very first class, and with the exception of her freshman year in high school, she has taken classes 5 - 6 days a week, an average of 3 hours per night. We are lucky to have a quality school in our small town. The focus there is on technique (they do not do competitions- although some of the girls wish they could) and in years past many of the graduating seniors have included dance in their college plans, or have gone on to performance opportunities. Her training has been focused on ballet, with little or no true 'modern' (which she found a challenge during the PPU SI). I cannot stress how much having the right studio/direcctor influenced my daughter in the last 8 years.

She had Point Park on her 'radar' from the time she was a sophmore, and attended 3 weeks of the SI the past summer in order to 'test the waters.' When the 3 weeks were over, she knew she wanted to return - and wished that she had opted to do the entire 6 week SI. While she has some other schools on her list, Point Park was her first choice. I think it is a good fit for her, and is the next step she needs. While she will concentrate in ballet, she is really looking forward to additional training in jazz and modern. Her true love lies with Broadway/musical theater and this school seems to be able to give her additional polishing that she needs. As a mother, I still feel a little overwhelmed by the decision to have her major in dance, but this is her passion and I feel that her family needs to support her. However, I never thought that when I took her to her first dance lesson 8 years ago that it would lead to where we are now.

As for the audition, another post on here estimated the number of particpants at 60, I agree with that number, maybe even a little higher. They divided the group into two. No one was asked to do a solo, it ran a little over 3.5 hours (it seemed to get behind a litte - maybe due to the size of the class) and wasn't run much differently than a regular class (No cuts were made during the audition). I can get feedback from her if you have any specific questions about the audition process. I grilled her when it was over , but can't remember all the specifics now. (We are in Nutcracker week, and I am in a fog)

From a parents perspective, I like Pittsburgh. This is a good 'stepping stone' from our small town into 'city life'. The campus is small and urban, but I thought it was very well designed and love the fact that the college is making use of the older buildings that are already part of the city landscape and re-modeling them. The dance studios are beautiful and my daughter enjoyed working in them this summer. From an academic perspective, the classes are small and I am hoping that this will help my DD stay focused her academic classes - as she tends to want to give her all to dance and forget about the rest!

We are excited about this next step, very happy with the artiistic award and feel positive about the school. I have ready every post on here carefully over the months, and many of my questions were answered by all of you before I even asked them!

mydarlindancer

Del Dance Mom...congratuballetations to your DD on her acceptance to Point Park! We know several dancers who have joined the college dance program and are LOVING their training.

Deldancemom -DD is just finishing her first semester at PPU so if you have any questions please ask me. We are thrilled thus far as she is amazinglu happy and in sorts of of ways. She loves her dance classes, although not so much the fact that ballet is at 8 am. But even more she likes the classes and her instructors academically and feels challenged but not overwhelmed.

Congratulations to your DD, I am sure she will enjoy it.

By the way DD started ballet at 9 (4th grade) coming out of MT.

Ha Ha, my dd's ballet class there started at 8am as well. She was very happy that in the freezing cold she could roll out of bed at 7:50 throw on her leo and just walk a flight of stairs to her class.

Pittsburgh is a great city and the studios there are amazing, my dd loved her time there and found PP's ballet dept to be a great college choice.

hushinfazen

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Deldancemom,

My daughter was just accepted to PPU for Fall 2011. She was not placed into a concentration as they are letting her select. My question is does anyone know if there is an equal number of students in each discipline? Is one more popular than the others? My daughter is also struggling with the size of the program and and that there may not be as many performance opportunities available compared to a smaller program. Any knowlege that you may have would be so greatly appreciated.

Hi stagemom - my dd just finished her first semester at PPU. The different concentrations are not all the same size. She is a modern major and there are 8 new freshman. She says the jazz group is the biggest about 40, with the remainder of the kids in ballet about 30. If I know my kid these are estimated numbers, as she does not 1. bother to count or 2. ask about numbers. But the moderns group is much smaller and the jazz is the largest. She is VERY happy at PPU and although was somewhat disappointed about not being cast in either fall dance production, some freshman were. I don't know how the number of performance opportunities compares to other programs, there were 2 dance shows this fall both with open casting and the competition for parts is tough.

Hi stagemom - my dd just finished her first semester at PPU. The different concentrations are not all the same size. She is a modern major and there are 8 new freshman. She says the jazz group is the biggest about 40, with the remainder of the kids in ballet about 30. If I know my kid these are estimated numbers, as she does not 1. bother to count or 2. ask about numbers. But the moderns group is much smaller and the jazz is the largest. She is VERY happy at PPU and although was somewhat disappointed about not being cast in either fall dance production, some freshman were. I don't know how the number of performance opportunities compares to other programs, there were 2 dance shows this fall both with open casting and the competition for parts is tough.

Calamitous, Thank you for the info. Any other info you would like to share feel free! WHile it can be frustrating for these dancers not to be cast on a regular basis as they'd like to be, it prepares them for the real dancer world. Competitive is good and will also give them some vision and preparation for how tough the professional dance world will be. My daughter is thrilled to have been accepted and now with just a few auditions left to go, decision time! If PPU ends up being the choice, I will be sure to let you know.

• 3 weeks later...

My dd just found out she was accepted into Point Park's dance program. We saw the status change on the pointweb account that a dance award letter was sent on 1/10/2010. This was her top choice so she is thrilled and will definitely attend in fall 2011. She auditioned at PPU on Dec. 11th. There were a little over 70 kids auditioning. They split the kids into 2 groups. My dd's group were given the Jazz class first, then modern and finished up with an approx 1 1/2 ballet class. Pointe was optional. The other group had a ballet class first, then jazz and modern. Not sure what concentration they placed her in, we'll have to wait to see when the actual letter comes in the mail.

Thanks so much to all of you who have written on this post. Your information has been so helpful. It's saving me from having to ask PPU a ton of questions.