Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Diversity: Minorities in Ballet

luceroblanco

I agree with Curandera. Some people are going to think what they think. Don't worry about them and don't make it YOUR problem. You are talented and good otherwise they would have not let you in there. To my limited knowledge there are no quotas to accept minorities required by law for any dance school on this planet. But even if there were, so what? If there were an affirmative action program in place it is to address previous systematic discrimination against minorities, which probably kept out talented minorities in the past.

You are at that school, believe in yourself and your dancing. Regardless, you do your best and take that opportunity. If someone said that to me I would just ignore them and think "I'm here, I'm staying here, and I'm going to dance my butt off. If they don't like it, too bad."

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A minority you guys did not talk about is men. Being one myself I find there is a huge lack of boys in ballet. In my dance school for the moment we are 2 boys out of about 180 girls.

The main reason I see is just that socially dance is seen as a art/sport for girls and so boys who dance are going to be gay and/or girlish. :grinning:

A minority you guys did not talk about is men. Being one myself I find there is a huge lack of boys in ballet. In my dance school for the moment we are 2 boys out of about 180 girls.

The main reason I see is just that socially dance is seen as a art/sport for girls and so boys who dance are going to be gay and/or girlish. :(

As a boy, you can appreciate how difficult it must be for minorities of color. You know how difficult it is for you yet you have 100s more role models than someone of color -- that's how bad it is! You have 2 boys out of 180 girls. I have been to competitions where there are no African Americans and just a handful of boys.

If you look at ballet companies throughout the US, the boys way outnumber the female dancers of color.

It's no picnic for anybody of any shade or sex, but the numbers are the most disproportional to the general populace when it comes to women ballet dancers of color.

Momof3darlings

Our general discussion on the topic at hand is one of the lack of minorities in professional ballet as well as the lack of certain minorities as long term students being the reason for that. While young men may be a bit few and far between in ballet schooling, there is no lack of them in the professional dance world and therefore, quite a bit different than our discussion at hand. Guys do seem to make it through the ranks of ballet pretty well after the initial limitations of others in class. I don't think I know of a single professional ballet company that has no men. I can however, think of quite a few that have no dancers of color. That is where I feel you've missed what this conversation is about.

Possibly things are different in Brussels than they are in the US on this subject?

Oops sorry, but i actually think that there is a bit more black girls dancing. Maybe not professionaly but in my different classes there are about 5 girls, and one of them just left for a big company pre-professional school. :(

The situation regarding ethnicity could certainly be different in Brussels than in the US. One hopes so, anyway!

• Momof3darlings changed the title to Ballet Diversity: Minorities in Ballet

Archived