Ballet Talk for Dancers

Split soles vs. Whole soles????

Guest Saji

Guest Saji

I just got done talking with my daughter, and she informed me that she has a hole in the toes of her slipper. We puched theses slippers at the beginning ofMay. Thery're leather, not the canvas. She prefers the split soles because they make her foot look.......prettier????? HUH???

Since I'll be picking her up today, we must get another pair. Today she'll use her whole sole slippers but asked if she could try the canvas split soles. By the way...she actually said, "Thanks for packing my extra slippers"! I had to laugh, because there was much protest about packing her old pairs of slippers.

For the past year, she has preferred SoDanca(sp). She says the feel better, but they don't seem to be lasting longer than 2 mos. PLEASE DON'T SAY THEY WOULD IF SHE WASN'T DANCING SO MUCH!!! :innocent:

Is this a common problem with this brand or is it common in general? Suggestions, please!

What is the opinion of her instructors for split soled shoes on children her age? I heard there was a specific reason why younger children should wear full soled shoes.

Among younger students, most teachers prefer to have them use full-sole shoes, because it makes their feet work harder to point. But trying to enforce that is often a lot like trying to order the tide to go back out. I would frankly prefer for students to use full-sole shoes until about the time they go on pointe. Then they could choose for themselves! :innocent:

Guest Saji

I have never heard anything on the subject. 2 teachers pay specific attention to her feet. But have never been told not to have her in split soles. She does wear an arch support in all of her slippers though.

I agree with Mr. Johnson. We actually got that advice regarding full soled shoes at the Dinkle my daughter attended, stuck with them until pointe began. They were leather as well, supposed to strengthen the feet.

She does wear an arch support in all of her slippers though.

Saji, does your daughter pronate (roll inward?) Just curious -- what sort of arch support does she use? I have one of those very, very flexible dancers...and she's working w/her pilates teacher over the summer to help her be sure she doesn't roll in. She's worn arch supports in her street shoes (when I can get her to....) but has never put anything in her soft slippers.

Oh...and as the debate over shoe types and soles continues, I did find that the toes of the leather slippers mine had wore out more quickly as she was just about ready to outgrow them. (I guess pressure inside the shoe from the growing toes and outside from good old friction.) Take her feet with you :innocent: to the dance store for your next pair -- at least around here, feet don't grow for ages...then grow A LOT. My kiddo stayed in the leather/full sole until about age 10, then she asked for the canvas/split sole, too. I think the younger kids like them because they make them feel "older" (at least at dd's school, the higher level dancers prefer them...). I know that one teacher she has prefers them because she feels she can see their arch better in the canvas. Do you have a change to run shoe preference(s) by her teacher?

Have a good long weekend. msd

Guest Saji

This last pair was a larger size, than her previous pair. Fortunately, there's a ballet supply shop very close to the dance facility, so for fittings, she's always there.

She has the arch support in her slippers because she has a high arch. We tried putting in these elastic band that gets sewn in, but she "noticed" that they were in. Her podiatrist recommended that she have the arch support. I have heard one of her teacher's tell her that she has the tendency to "roll".

• Administrators

Ballet slippers, like pointe shoes, have a limited life span. Their life span is directly related to how much they are used. There is no way not to say it, Saji. A dancer doing 3 hours a week will have shoes for a very long time. A dancer doing 18-20 hours a week will not have the shoes for a very long time. Two months would be, IMO, a VERY long time for someone doing that many hours a week.

Ms.Leigh, could you please share your opinion of split sole slippers for younger dancers? My dds have always worn full soles because I had heard it make the foot work harder, but the arches do look prettier in split-soles! Should I perhaps have them switch to split soles for auditions?

• Administrators

I don't have a problem with split soles for the younger dancers, however, I also don't teach anyone younger than 12-13.

My son (17) seems to put holes in shoes every week or so. 12 year old can wear them about a month, but she is also in pointe shoes. The little guy(9) outgrows them before they wear out. The older 2 wore full soles until 11 or 12.

• 4 weeks later...

Almost everyone at my dd's school wears the split sole, usually but not exclusively leather, usually Bloch, but a few prefer Capezio Juliets, in spite of the yucky color. The leather of the Capezios is softer and wears out more quickly, so personally I prefer the Blochs. The school does not insist on any particular kind of shoe, but at least one teacher has suggested that they wear the full sole as it will help strengthen their feet for pointe.

My dd was in a level last year which did a quarter hour of pointe at the end of each of five classes a week. She decided to wear the full soles to help strengthen her feet, and many of her class-mates said "Eeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuwwwwwwww! Gross! Why do you want to wear Thooooooose???" I am proud of her for just saying, "I like them," and weathering the peer pressure. So, now she wears both split soles and whole soles, she likes them both, and doesn't bother about what others say. At the moment, she prefers leather though, and goes through them about a pair every six weeks to two months or so.

Another issue I wonder about, though, is buying them too snug, or not snug enough. Lots of the older kids buy their shoes, tight, tight ,TIGHT, whether for vanity, to make them look smaller, or to simulate the snugness of a pointe shoe in order to get used to get the foot used to balancing in a more constricted space, I couldn't say. My dd's Pilates instructor wants her to concentrate on standing on her "four points" in her feet, two in the fore-foot, two in the heel, to make sure her weight is evenly distributed over her foot. This instructor and others have also said it is important that she spread her toes, not grip the floor with them, which pre-supposes enough room in there to do so. Some teachers have complained that they don't want to see tons of extra fabric or leather at the toe of a student's shoes, so how do you get the right balance?

:thumbsup: Help! My dd is 11.5, tall, strong, but I don't know how to advise her. My instinct is snug but not constricting. ? help!

Split soles work better for my daughter, because she can place her orthotic in them better. The past 2 weeks, she was wearing her new canvas capezio-cobras. When I picked her up yesterday, each shoe had more than 2 holes in them. I was mortified for vanity reasons, I will admit, but she said, "Aw mom, they're fine! So-and-so(an older girl)has her toe coming out! Mine aren't there yet." So, I calmly asked her(afraid to hear the answer), "So holes in your slippers are a good thing?" Her reply, "Well yeah! Who can keep getting new shoes?" I turned and looked at her father and said, "Let's rehearse that line for the near future." In any case, before we hit the highway to home, she got another pair of Bloch's....leather! Also, I'm not certain if it was because the canvas is not as soft as the leather, I do believe that the small blister on her "baby" toe, came from her wearing the canvas. Another cause of mortification!

My DD (14) wears split sole shoes and has since she was 11. They last anywhere from one to two months. At first she wore leather shoes, but they got holes in the toes FAST - like in a few weeks. For the last three years she's worn canvas, which last longer, can be slightly cleaned with shout wipes or baby wipes if they are filthy, and, since she sweats a lot, "breathe" better and smell less. She has narrow feet so she wears grishkos, but so danca shoes are great too. No teacher ever complained about split soles, and they do seem to give her feet a prettier line.

just anecdotal and not advice.

My dd wears full sole leather shoes (Bloch) and can generally get through one 10 week term in them (by which time they have numerous holes). None of the girls at our studio wears split sole. I have read on audition information sheets that girls on pointe may wear split soles for their demi work, so assume this is fairly standard practice in Australia. (it may be a different ball game if you need to wear inserts)

We did try canvas shoes (as she needed a pair for a performance) but found they lasted no longer than the leather shoes.

saji - out of interest - does your dd also wear supports in her regular shoes?