Ballet Talk for Dancers

Height: Short Dancers - Which Companies?

lildancingchick722

lildancingchick722

I need to find out which ballet company's are on the shorter side in terms of there dancer's! I will probably only get to 5 ''2 and I am worried that this is not tall enough for most company's! If any one knows of company's that have short female dancer's please let me know! :blushing:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scroll through these posts: Short while you're waiting for some replies - you'll find some posts that have nothing to do with "being" on the shorter side, but one or two that do.

*link no longer works because the threads have been combined here.

I need to find out which ballet companies are on the shorter side in terms of their dancers! I will probably only get to 5'2" and I am worried that this is not tall enough for most companies! If anyone knows of companies that have short female dancers, please let me know! :shrug:

I see that you live in Orlando. You have just such a company in your own backyard: Orlando Ballet. Go to their website to find out about the company. (www.orlandoballet.org)

P.S. I corrected your post (quoted above) for its errors in grammar. :shrug:

P.P.S. I took a look at some of your other posts and saw that you have already been to Orlando Ballet's SI. So, you know about Orlando. I am curious as to why you are not considering it as a potential company for you.

lildancingchick722

Thank you very much for the reply! I would absolutely love to be in Orlando ballet company! But this is really the only company I know of for taking shorter dancer's, I am sure there are more out there but I just don't know of any. I just would like to have more option's then just this one because It is getting increasingly hard with all the talent out there to make it into some companies.

mylildancer

My dd is also on the shorter side although she has grown a bit and now is a little over 5'4". She had always mentioned that San Francisco Ballet has shorter dancers as does Boston Ballet.

My impression of the Joffrey Ballet is that a range of sizes are included in the company, including some rather "short" dancers. :thumbsup:

Houston Ballet has a first-soloist who I'd be surprised if she was over 5 feet tall. They have a few other short girls in the corps (and yes, yes, some very tall dancers too.)

Nashville Ballet, BalletMet, & Columbia Classical Ballet.

lildancingchick722

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the replies not I don't feel as bad about being short, with all these company's that seem to take shorter dancers!

Texas Ballet Theater is another with a range of heights - I think 5'3" is the shortest at the moment.

Also want to say thanks to everyone who has chimed in with some information. :D

Dance_Scholar_London

English National Ballet, London seems to have many short dancers (including short male dancers)

lildancingchick, you're in good company. Off the top of my head I know 3 dancers who are looking for or just got jobs that are all 5'4" or shorter. I'm included, I am usually one of the shortest people in class at 5'2 1/2".

• 1 year later...

Archived