Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest castilloje

Elastic Ballet Belts

Guest castilloje

Can someone let me know the purpose for elastic belts?

Hans

Theoretically, it's so a teacher can see whether a dancer's hips are tilted. However, first of all, it's perfectly clear when someone's hips are not aligned whether they're wearing an elastic belt or not, and second, teachers prefer that dancers wear them around the waist, not the hips, thereby rendering them doubly useless. So essentially, there is no purpose. :huepfen:

BW

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, castilloje! :angry: I can tell you what these belts are not for... Really, they're not good for too much. :wub: Here is an old thread/topic that you might find answers your question with more helpful details: hip alignment/waist belts.

I do hope you'll make yourself at home here, familiarize yourself with the different discussions and become involved in many of them. Again, welcome. :huepfen:

Edited by BW

Skittl1321

knock knock...

I have a question about Hans's post.

In the past I thought it was decided they do nothing on the hips but they can show alignment when worn on the waist, BUT, the teachers on this board agree that they are not necessary.

Guest castilloje
Theoretically, it's so a teacher can see whether a dancer's hips are tilted.  However, first of all, it's perfectly clear when someone's hips are not aligned whether they're wearing an elastic belt or not, and second, teachers prefer that dancers wear them around the waist, not the hips, thereby rendering them doubly useless.  So essentially, there is no purpose. :shrug:

Thanks soo much for your fast response.. i'm so new to this.. I did a search on google on elastic belts and the purpose of them & luckily it took me here which i'm glad I signed up :D ~~~thanks now I can understand why I <DONT>need to get one ~~~

Edited by castilloje

chauffeur
  ~~~thanks now I can understand why I need to get one ~~~

You're kidding,right? We went through the belt trend once before at an old school, and it was definitely just that -- a trend. A month later it was something else (dance diapers, if I recall: ooh, how DD hated it when I called them that :shrug: -- you know, those knitted short shorts?) And a month after that, if I remember correctly, it was one leg warmer on the left leg. Better that than tattoos, I guess.

Dance_Scholar_London

Does RAD still require the belts for exams? I am not quite sure but most of the girls in the exam (preparation) class seem to wear one.

Victoria Leigh

AS stated many times on various threads here, personally I think they are useless and totally unattractive. When worn around the hips they make the torso look longer and the legs shorter, which is exactly the opposite of what a dancer wants to look like. On the waist they don't do anything for anyone either. I won't allow them on the hips in my classes. Also won't allow their little skirts to be tied around their hips instead of their waists. That does the same stupid thing to their body line as the hip belt. And those diaper shorts are definitely a no no! (The skirts are allowed for pointe classes only, not for technique classes.)

Skittl1321
(The skirts are allowed for pointe classes only, not for technique classes.)

Ms. Leigh, sorry to be posting again out of my own forum, but I didn't think this was worth a new thread. Why is it that schools allow skirts in pointe classes? Is it just to give the students a change of pace so they don't rebel in techinique classes, or is there a reason behind it? Do you, as a teacher, not need to see the line as much in this class?

I have seen that most schools will let you wear them in pointe and have always wondered why.

dancindaughters

I believe that they are required by the RAD, and in fact are sold along with the leotards that the RAD prefers students to wear for the exams. The teacher insists that they be worn on the waist - which is difficult for my younger dd, as she doesn't really have much of a waist! I think she looks better with the belt, as it gives the illusion of a waist. :)

Oh, and hello to Castilloje! My younger dd is also (almost) 9. She will be taking 3 ballet classes per week in the fall.

vicarious

Why aren't skirts allowed for technique classes? Would age or level make a difference as to who can wear them?

Babsaroo

Turn out, hip placement, abdominal/lower back alignment, etc. can't be observed and corrected as well when a skirt is in the way.

Guest gillian

Knock knock... I'm still wondering, then, Babsaroo and Ms. Leigh - why are the skirts allowed in most pointe classes? And while the knit shorts do look a little bit like diapers, :blink: do they obstruct observation of correct placement/turnout? I ask this because my school allows my classes (adults) to wear those, so long as they're tight-fitting (and most of us do, as we're a bit uncomfortable with ourselves in tights and leotards only).

Babsaroo

Gillian..I'm not sure. Let's wait for Ms. Leigh's response.

P.S. My daughter is not allowed to wear a skirt in any class. :blink:

Victoria Leigh

I think that the shorts are probably accepted by most teachers of adult classes.

As for the skirts in pointe classes, the students really like to wear them, and since we make them not wear them for technique, we feel that they can then add them for pointe following technique if they wish. Some do, some don't. Somehow it just seems to make them feel better :huepfen: