Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest lazer.star

University of North Carolina School of the Arts/UNCSA

Fouronlychildren

Can anyone speak to the style of ballet that is taught at UNCSA? Is it considered a Balanchine school? Classical? A mix? I read 10 pages (of the 90!) in this thread, but didn’t see this addressed. Posts prior to that were 5+ years old, so they may or may not reflect the current status of the program. Thanks for any info you can share.

abirgirl

Because it is affiliated with ABT, I would characterize the style as classical. My daughter has a fair amount of Balanchine training and found UNCSA’s style to be quite different when she took a class there recently as a visitor. 

ballet1310

The audition for UNCSA was classical.

Mdballetmom

It's an ABT school and many of the instructors danced at ABT, Susan Jaffe is Dean. . The style is classical,  although they do perform a wide range of rep, including Balanchine and contemporary ballet.  My daughter has been there for 4 years (9-12 grade) and im happy to answer any other questions you have about the school. 

Fouronlychildren

mdballetmom, Do you know whether they offer merit (dance and/or academic) scholarships? Or just need-based financial aid?

Have you been happy with the academics? And the housing/food/safety?

Mdballetmom

They do offer merit scholarships. We are quite happy with the academics. Feel free to PM if you have specific questions. 

dancemaven

Please let’s share on the open Board for the benefit of all members researching this school.  That is, after all, the purpose of these dedicated threads. 👍

Moxie

dancemaven, perhaps it was the fear of discussing scholarships? That is against policy, correct?

dancemaven

Specific dollar amount of scholarships received is not in keeping with our policies, yes.  General discussions of the nature and extent of scholarships available and the criteria for their offer is within our policies.

We do encourage the sharing of as much first-hand experience as possible on the open Board for the benefit of all members.  PMs are reserved for use sparingly.