Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest lazer.star

University of North Carolina School of the Arts/UNCSA

Desiderata

Graciemarieballetlove0922, we love UNCSA, my DD is a HS ballet student there. However, at age 19, if your desire is to be a professional ballet dancer, I would not enroll in UNCSA’s college contemporary dance program. I suspect you’ll only get about 90 minutes per day of ballet technique training in that program, and little to no pointe. I would ask that question of UNCSA specifically, and if I’m correct, I would encourage you to look for a prepro program that offers you significantly more ballet technique, pointe, partnering and repertory work than that offered to UNCSA contemporary majors.

Edited to add that I'm unaware of any dancers in the contemporary HS or college programs getting the opportunity to participate in the classical dance performances - those do seem to be reserved for the ballet students, and even some ballet students have more limited performance opportunities if they are not at a relatively advanced level coming in to the school. There are separate performance and choreography pieces reserved for the contemporary students. Both programs and the repertoire they each get to perform are wonderful, I just wouldn't recommend the contemporary program for someone wanting to be a ballet dancer.

dancemaven

Kikiii, you are in the UNCSA year-round school thread.  It has nothing to do with Austin schools or ABT, Summer Intensives. 

We moved your post to the appropriate thread and made recommendations for how you can find information for summer intensives as you requested. 

If you are looking for year-round schools, check the Finding a Pre-professional Ballet School forum.  It has dedicated threads arranged alphabetically by state, then city or region. So you can find the closest area that suits your needs.  Here is a link to that forum:  
https://dancers.invisionzone.com/forum/155-finding-a-pre-pro-ballet-school/

As for navigating the Board, it just takes a little nosing around, patience, and curiosity.  Here is a link to our index page: 

https://dancers.invisionzone.com

balletgem

Kikii,

Many programs will still accept a video audition. Just a suggestion, but if you can put it together soon, it might save you trying to get to audition sites. 

dancemaven

And now, let’s get back to the topic at hand:  UNCSA’s residential program. 😊

OCDsi

My daughter auditioned for high school program yesterday.  There were about 10 ballet and 20 contemporary dancers in the high school audition. Mr. Myers said hard no’s for in-state would go out earlier than other results (yes’s). All in state results will be held until after all auditions and video submissions which are due March 1st.  Out of state results will be much sooner. There are an increased number of incoming juniors auditioning this year as compared to years past. Just an interesting statistic  he mentioned.   

learningdance

I have to say I find it pretty questionable that they are differentiating decisions based on state of residence.  They don't appear to be hiding the fact that $ is an influential factor. 

abirgirl

This is not a questionable practice at all. This is how public universities operate - they must accept a certain percentage of out-of-state students who pay higher tuition rates. UNCSA is part of the University of North Carolina system. 

Mdballetmom

UNCSA is free of charge to in-state students. Publicized tuition for out-of-state students is $13k. Room and board is another $10K on top of that.