Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest lazer.star

University of North Carolina School of the Arts/UNCSA

coffee

I went to the summer program there, and four of my friends ended up staying for the year-round program. Two of the them are guys, but I'd have to ask them if they wanted me to give you their screen names to ask some questions or something. Sounds like y ou may have some other people that could help you out too.

Guest rockclimber15

If there are any NCSA parents or dancers who are familiar with the audition process, I would appreciate your input regarding an auditioner's dilemma.

Mr daughter recently auditioned for the year-round program at NCSA: she did not audition for the Summer program.

Following the audition, she and another applicant were asked to stay behind, along with several girls who were auditioning for the SI. The auditioner made a general statemant of "you're in" , and gave acceptance forms to the SI girls on the spot. The two year-round applicants kept after were told they would have to wait a couple of weeks for their letter.

The other year-round auditioner asked to stay behind took this as having passed the audition portion of the application process, whereas my daughter felt the auditioner was just keeping them to let them know when letters would go out regarding their results. My daughter has been out of the audition process for several years, as she has been bound to one company by scholarship obligations- so she is clueless.

I don't want the girls to get their hopes up just because they were kept after the audition.

Does anyone know whether NCSA gives Year-round applicants audition results immediately or by letter? I would appreciate any information anyone has to share.

BW

Hello rockclimber, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, too. :)

I can see how this situation would have been confusing, fortunately I know of at least one or two parents and students on the board who do have experience with auditioning for NCSA's year round program and I'm sure they'll be on at some point to help you out. :D

In the mean time, since this is not really about attending NCSA's SI but their year round program, I'm going to move this thread/topic into Cross Talk where we tend to discuss year round programs. Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get some helpful feedback! :thumbsup:

Edited by BW

Guest bazookajoe

Hey, I auditioned for the year-round program last year at NCSA, and they told us that they would send a letter in a couple of weeks following the audition. But I'm not sure if they changed it or not this year, but that is how they ran it last year. They only told the summer intensive auditioners to stay behind last year so they could know that day whether they were in or not.

balletbooster

I'm sorry I can't tell you specifically what the auditioner meant by his comments. My daughter auditioned by video. I do however know of a couple of dancers that were told at the time of their live audition that they had passed this portion of the admission process. But, they were also then told to go ahead and begin work on the formal admission documents and to send them when the official ballet audition letter was received. Maybe this is what he was saying to your daughter.

If you are unsure, call the Ballet dept. and ask. Bebe Briggs can get this information for you.

It is important to note that once a student passes the ballet audition, they must still be reviewed by the admissions board. This is not done until you complete the admissions packet, with transcript, academic and ballet teacher recommendations, etc. It is a good idea to go ahead and get this all together and sent in, as soon as you are notified of the ballet audition results. The school does fill up and as the spring wears on, the number of applicants and the time it takes to get a final answer grows longer.

Best of luck with the admission process. My daughter is very happy at NCSA! :D

Guest rockclimber15
Hello rockclimber, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, too. :)

I can see how this situation would have been confusing, fortunately I know of at least one or two parents and students on the board who do have experience with auditioning for NCSA's year round program and I'm sure they'll be on at some point to help you out. :D

In the mean time, since this is not really about attending NCSA's SI but their year round program, I'm going to move this thread/topic into Cross Talk where we tend to discuss year round programs. Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get some helpful feedback! :clover:

Thanks so much for moving my post to the correct forum. Guess my daughter's not the only one who needs some guidance :thumbsup:

syr

Yes, ditto what balletbooster said. I think it would be find to call the admissions counselor for the ballet department, and ask if there is anything else you need to submit at this time, and when to expect the next communication from them. There are two stages to this process with NCSA, as she described.

Guest Leslie M

Hi,

I am 15 years old and I am currently dancing in Virginia. Next year I plan to go to NCSA for their academic year.

I was wondering if anyone has gone their for the summer program or is attending the academic year because i have many questions! B)

Some of my questions are..

Is it hard to balance dance and academic and do they make it any easier?

Do you take class every day?

How many partnering classes do you get?

What are the dorms like?

what do you do in your spare time?

Do they allow you to go out on your own like to go shopping?

what time is school in the morning...how long does it go...and then when does dance class start?

Thank you so much! :shhh:

balletbooster

My daughter is a 10th grader at the school. I'll try to answer your questions.

Is it hard to balance dance and academic and do they make it any easier? My daughter thinks it is easier than it was at her previous high school. You only have 4 academic classes and while they are very challenging, the workload is manageable. There are no academics on Wednesdays, so this gives the dancers a chance to catch up, mid-week.

Do you take class every day? Monday-Friday all levels have both technique and pointe. On Wednesdays, there are additional classes, depending upon your level.

How many partnering classes do you get? It depends upon your level and grade in school.

What are the dorms like? The dorms are traditional dorm rooms for two students, with two desks, two closets and a sink. The floor shares bathrooms/showers.

what do you do in your spare time? A new connector building opened last week, providing a great meeting place with plasma TV, kitchen, study rooms, new laundry facilities, etc. between the two dorms. Students gather here to relax and socialize in the evenings. There is also a student union building, where there are games, TV, computer room, lots of seating areas, a snack bar and the cafeteria. Students come and go from here all day long. There are many outdoor seating areas all over the campus and in nice weather, students gather outside to visit, play a game of touch football, etc. There are two movie theaters on campus that are free to students. The school owns the largest film collection outside the Library of Congress!

Do they allow you to go out on your own like to go shopping? Twice during the week and twice on Saturdays, buses are available to take students to the mall, Target, the grocery store, etc. If your parents give you permission, you can leave campus on your own or with others. They can specify who you can leave campus with, if you can taxis, etc. The amount of freedom you have will be determined by your parents. Every student in your grade will have the same curfews, however. During the year, you can do various projects, volunteer work, etc. to gain increments of 30 minutes for your weekend curfew.

what time is school in the morning...how long does it go...and then when does dance class start? Again, this depends upon your grade in school. Grades 8-10 have ballet at 8:15-9:45 in the morning. Grades 11 and up have academics first, at about the same time. You alternate between ballet and academics throughout the day. (i.e. ballet, 2 academics, lunch, 2 more academics, ballet.) Classes are usually finished by 5 pm, although my daughter did have one class, one day a week that went until 6:15 this last term. If you are cast in Showcase or Workshop performances (this is a decision, made by the faculty members who are setting the works) you will also have rehearsals at night. These vary in time and length. Those in the spring showcase, which is scheduled for the first week in May have been rehearsing since the first week in January. They are now rehearsing 4-5 nights per week. Saturday rehearsals are generally added during the last 4-6 weeks before a performance.

Guest Leslie M

Hi,

I am attending NCSA next school year. Is anyone else?

Or does anyone know anything about it, pros or cons?

Thanks

balletbooster

Leslie M,

Welcome to Ballet Talk! We are glad that you are here.

I've moved your post to the existing thread on NCSA Residency program. Please read through the lengthy lists of posts about the school and see if most of your questions are not answered here. If you do have additional questions, please ask specific questions and there are several here who have dancers at the school or who have attended that can assist you.

Congratulations on your acceptance to NCSA. I hope you enjoy it as much as my daughter has!

abdwybabe

I have a student who wishes to attend this school. We are in Pa and it would be a trip for her and money for her parents. I want to know if anyone can tell me what they think, if they have any experience with the school.

Thanks.

vrsfanatic

There has been much positive feed back from students I know who have attended this program. Some are working professionally and some have chosen not to be in the profession. There are no guarantees. Each student and their family must choose what fits their needs.

balletbooster

abdwybabe, do a search on NCSA and North Carolina School of the ARts and you will see LOTS of posts about the school.

My daughter is a junior there and if you do a search on my user name, you can find lots of my posts about my impressions of the school. It has been a really good experience for her and she likes everything about the school, from the excellent faculty, to the challenging academics, to the unique environment with students from many arts all coming together. If you have specific questions about the school, please ask.

There are several other NCSA parents on this board and there are also threads on the school on both the Residency Schools forum and the SI forum. Both will give you a good sense of the school.

As for grads and where they go, from last year's seniors, we know of dancers who have contracts with Houston, Richmond, Ballet Nevada, Cincinnati Ballet, Orlando Ballet, NCDT, and others. 5 are freshman at NCSA in the college program (at least one of whom I know received a pro offer but declined it) and one is doing a finishing year at SAB. From the previous year, I know of dancers who signed contracts with SFB, Cedar Lakes, Ballet West, one who is dancing in Prague, and a number of other companies. From what we have seen first hand, their grads do a good job of finding professional contracts, if they determine that is what they want to pursue.