Ballet Talk for Dancers

Adult drop in classes in Seattle

Guest NCCAOM

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm reviving this thread because I'll be in Seattle on business next week. Has anyone taken class at any of these places? Any recommendations or input or additional schools? I'm staying downtown, near the acquarium.

D has taken open classes at PNB, which is located near the Seattle Aquarium. She has had several teachers and all have given a good class. Check their web site or call, you won’t be disappointed. :)

Spectrum Dance (scenic drive down to Lake Washington) has fabulous adult ballet classes. Housed in an old renovated steam bath structure it is right at the Lake's edge. My fav teacher is Monsieur Vincent Cuny. Very informative, challenging class. He is a very attentive teacher, formerly with PNB as are Anne Derieux and Julia Tobiason who are also associated with this school. Spectrum's summer dance classes end August 27th. :)

I've taken Adult beginner/intermediate classes at PNB but prefer Spectrum Dance because of the attentive teaching. The one teacher I had for beginning adult at PNB just 'gave' a class with no real corrections, beyond general corrections to the whole group. I prefer a teacher who teaches. I may be old but I'm still a'learnin'. PNB's facilities are excellent though and if you're advanced you might get Stanko Milov who I believe is quite attentive as a teacher (from watching his class as an observer) as well as VERY EASY on the eyes. But alas, I think PNB's open classes in Seattle are closed for the season at this time. Check their website.

So your last bet is a studio called ARC in Ballard (not too far from downtown as the crow flies) that has a Tuesday/Thursday Intermediate/Advanced 6-7:30pm. Don't have any personal experience with them though but it has been recommended to me by other adult dancers and some pros. As you can see Seattle sure ain't New York!

I took a class yesterday at Westlake:

http://www.westlakedance.com/

It was my first time there (many other studios are closed until after Labor Day). Kind of a funky place, loud music, seemed to be lots of energy in the place. And $10 for a drop-in is a screaming deal! I took a class on turns (at which I am terrible) that was really a jazz dance class, so I was totally lost but got some really helpful corrections anyhow. The only name I recognize is Alison Hollingsworth, who also teaches at the studio where I usually go - but she is very good.

I have heard some good things about eXitSPACE:

http://www.exitspacedance.com/

but have not been there yet.

If it is convenient for you, Dance Fremont is a very nice studio which was founded and is now co-directed by a former colleague (and current friend) of mine, Vivian Little. Vivian danced with San Francisco Ballet. She was a very lovely dancer and is an excellent teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

I take classes at BBC studios on 4th in Belltown... love both the teacher (Elaine & Annie). Fun and very hands on.

have also taken classes at PNB (it's actually near the Seattle center, not really that close to the aquarium)... they are good, but I miss the individual attention and the teachers tend to rotate which can be cool as you get to work with some of the actual dancers from the company at times but also means I haven't built up repoire. (geh think I misspelled that it's late, my brains frizzled).

oh and Velocity has some ballet classes but their empasis seems to be on modern, and there is an adult studio in the U-district which I looked at once but never attended.

...and there is an adult studio in the U-district which I looked at once but never attended.

That would be The Ballet Studio, where I take classes. Excellent teaching, but they don't do drop-in classes. It's a more structured developmental program - there is a syllabus and a progression, which all the teachers follow. You don't get into the more advanced classes without taking a placement class first - absolutely no nonsense, though I have found everyone to be warm and supportive.

Guest apogiatura
Does any one know of any adult drop-in classes in Seattle?

Thanks,

Mike

I am teaching drop-ins at eXit Space (Monday and Tuesday evenings) and at Velocity on Saturday mornings.

Jennifer Carroll

apogiatura@aol.com

Does any one know of any adult drop-in classes in Seattle?

Thanks,

Mike

I am teaching drop-ins at eXit Space (Monday and Tuesday evenings) and at Velocity on Saturday mornings.

Jennifer Carroll

apogiatura@aol.com

And she's good! :D My first, and still favorite, teacher; I'm usually in the Saturday class.

Would have posted it earlier but I didn't want to post twice in a row. :D

• 1 year later...

Bringing up an OLD topic after doing a search... I will take a look at places mentioned here but don't know how accurate the suggestions will be, two years later.

I'll be in Seattle this summer - any suggestions on where to grab a class for someone who is still a beginner? The classes I currently take are billed as 'beginner/intermediate'. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Bringing up an OLD topic after doing a search... I will take a look at places mentioned here but don't know how accurate the suggestions will be, two years later.

I'll be in Seattle this summer - any suggestions on where to grab a class for someone who is still a beginner? The classes I currently take are billed as 'beginner/intermediate'. Thanks.

For PNB, during the summer, the open classes labeled Intermediate tend to be more advanced than during the school year. There tend to be alot of professional dancers on hiatus, professional-track students coming and going between summer workshops, college students on breaks, and teachers who finally have time to take classes. The beginning and beg/int classes are quite good from people that I've talked with and the instructors are recent additions in the past year...lots of attention given to everyone.

I don't know much about ARC's beginning/int classes, but the int/adv classes are quite difficult.

I haven't been to Spectrum since the big change-over.

I always hear great things about Dance Fremont! From all descriptions given to myself by collegues, it seems to be a great place for an intermediate adult dancer.

Velocity is a great place to get an intermediate level class. It has a modern focus as a studio, but that tends to lead to ballet classes that are very much centered on alignment and learning.

All in all, I would say that the only difference in descriptions from 2005 would be the beginning/int staff at PNB, everything else would be about status quo.

Thank you for the update. I need to figure out where I'll be staying, see where all of these places are in relation and then find which ones will offer an adult class during the week that might be appropriate for me.

• 4 weeks later...