Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest somedaySAB

Best dancers technically

Guest somedaySAB

I was wondering who you all think are the best dancers male or female today at technique. Who is the closest to technical perfection? It's really hard for me to decide, but I think Svetlana Zakharova and Alina Cojucaro are pretty astounding.

ABT Wannabe

Well, it's hard to say, because I haven't really seen any of my favorite dancers take a class. But, from what I have seen, I would have to say, Svetlana (as you have already mentioned), Polina Semionova, Paloma Herrera, for the women. For the men, the only one which I'm certain I can name would be Vladmir Makalov. Angel Corella has amazing jumps, and great enthusiasm, but I've never seen him take a class. :) However I would love to! :thumbsup:

Claude_Catastrophique

For the women I would also say Alina Cojocaru but I haven't seen to many diffrent dancers on stage and it is impossible to tell from TV. For the Men I would say José Martinez. He has an inner calm.... :clover:

32tendu

St. Louis Ballet Artistic Director, Gen Horiuchi.

His technique and personal quality earned him a spot with Balanchine, Broadway and Beyond.

Peace!

Fairy

Personally, I think Gillian Murphy has great technique. Especially those fuetes. :thumbsup:

*Fairy*

M26

Wendy Whelen (New York City Ballet). I haven't been exposed to many of the Russian dancers, they all are perfect though!

lampwick

Wendy Whelan is incredible in class, as is Ashley Bouder (both NYCB)

I was watching Paloma Herrera's petit allegro in class the other day and she's out of this world. Her super arched feet are STRONG. I've never seen feet like that that don't wobble. Her assembles come together in the air at just the right moment.

Michele Wiles (ABT) is great as well. I saw her do a 12 turn pirouette en dedans once.

Herman Cornejo is just about perfect. And his sister, Erica, can jump almost as high as him.

Damian Woetzel can do pirouettes in any position until he simply runs out of steam. It's pretty amazing. I've seen him do some in retire, get bored after 6 or so, extend into arabesque, do about 5 more.... Crazy. He never looks like he's trying hard. Never seen him break a sweat. It's like he was born that way. Maybe he was.

It's so tough to say who has the "best" technique when the level of some of these dancers is just so high. A lot of them are pretty darn close to perfect. :thumbsup:

Guest arabesque07
Personally, I think Gillian Murphy has great technique. Especially those fuetes.  :wacko:

*Fairy*

haha. It's kinda funny. I just got off the phone talking to another guy friend dancer about how much I didn't like her fouettes. He shares your opinion, though. They're too...choppy and...spastic. I don't know. I'm really picky about fouettes.

Other than that and the way she drops her elbows when she turns, I think she's beautiful.

Still a definite fan of Paloma Herrera, though.

dancingsami

my all-time faveorite would be Darcy Bussel. But Paloma Herrara is second to for girls. for guys....vladimir malakov is pretty amazing but herman corneijo is awesome too. then there is also louise nadeau,patricia barker,julie kent,angel corella,ashley bouder,wendy whelan...the list goes on. :innocent:

always here~

dancingsami

Rhapsody

Here in Seattle, we got a treat last week when Miranda Weese of NYCB performed in "Ancient Airs and Dances" (with PNB) and technically she appeared so clean yet her dancing seemed effortless and unrestrained. I couldn't take my eyes off her.

Clara 76

Just a gentle reminder to only say things here that you wouldn't mind being overheard by whatever dancer you are discussing :):lol:

dancerboy90210

I am not a big fan of Paloma Herra or Angel Corella. I think that Paloma has a lot of facility but without her facility she would be nothing. I can not stand her port de bras. Angel has a lot of spirit when he dances and its exciting to witness him dance. I think Don Q is for sure his ballet, but I do not think he looks good in ballets that are more princely, such as Swan Lake. I think Ethan Stiefel is an amazing dancer. He has a perfect facility, he is strong, and he looks good in ballets that require him to be a prince and ballets that require him to show his masculinity. I have not seen a lot of Gillian Murphy, but I am impressed with what I have seen. I believe that she is the strongest dancer in ABT. I also like Julie Kent a lot. Her technique is perfect. She is not a trickster but she can make anything look good. Herman Cornejo looked great in The Dream. I do not understand why he doesn't get the upper hand in casting with ABT. He never seems to be performing many principal roles. David Hallberg is a soloist and he gets treated better when it comes to casting than Herman. I am not trying to say that David Hallberg is not deserving, but I think that if they are going to give him that many principal roles, why has he not been promoted yet?

Edited by sbadesch

Clara 76
Just a gentle reminder to only say things here that you wouldn't mind being overheard by whatever dancer you are discussing :):D

SingingInTheRain

wow, It amazes me that everyone names the same 10 dancers, more or less. I just wanted to add in Daniil Simkin to the pile. I could name some you have already said but he was missing. His technique is very good and he is very young.

dance1soccer1

Irena Dvoravenko, soooooo expressive! Maria Kowrowski, who manages those long legs so well. And anyone from Lines, well, because, their lines are so lovely!