Ballet Talk for Dancers

How many classes in a day?

Guest somedaySAB

Guest somedaySAB

Hi,

I know this is a pretty silly question and I feel sort of lame asking it, but I am curious. Why do some professional schools have more than one ballet class everyday? :angry: Should someone my age be taking more than one a day if they want to be a professional? Thanks very much... :wink:

I go to a professional school and I have 2 90 minute ballet classes a day 1 technique class and 1 pointe class and then additional training such as partnering, modern dance and pilates.

Not really a silly question at all somedaySAB. If I am understanding your question, you mean why do some professional ballet schools offer two 90 minute technique classes daily for one level? Is this correct?

I will venture a guess as to why it may be offered but each school may have their own opinion as to why. I would imagine some schools find that it is strength building. Personally I agree with frodo's statement. 1 technique class, 1 pointe/variations/partnering followed by a rehearsal/repetoire class is sufficient at the advanced level of study. That is about 4-5 hours a day of classical ballet study. The professional European schools all offer something similar to the schedule containing 4-5 hours of daily dance study for the intermediate and advanced levels.

• Administrators

I agree totally with the schedule that allows for one technique class, one pointe class, and then other subjects or repertoire rehearsals. Two technique classes are generally not necessary if one is getting enough overall training. They can actually be potentially harmful, by overworking the same muscles, especially in growing dancers. It's the repeated barre work that is the problem.

Do you mean that it's bad to do barre twice in one day?

• Administrators

I said that it could be bad. One really good technique class, especially during the school year, should be quite enough as long as there are also pointe classes and other hours of dance on some days. More is not necessarily better. Growing bodies can be overworked very easily and I feel that one benefits from using different muscles regularly, as opposed to overusing the same ones all the time.