Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest Lukayev

Ballet Residency Programs

Guest Gypsy

Samba: Wonderful post! I was feeling rather Mayberry-ish after reading the insights from our young dancer. But NCSA is NC School OF the Arts. Not FOR. This misuse of the acronym gets the locals fired up. :)

Strangely enough, we found the academics and the cultural advantages at NCSA to be the strong points of our daughter's schooling there. Remember--they have top notch film, music, and drama schools on site. My daughter (who thinks art lives and dies with ballet) enjoyed attending plays, film debuts, and concerts on a nightly basis. Outside the campus, there wasn't much to do, but that is because of the location of the campus, not the grand state of NC itself! :)

Guest Lukayev

Thank you all for your helpful replies! My mother finally succeeded in dragging me to Harid Conservatory's website, and my mouth just dropped. I mean, when somebody said it was in the affluent part of town.. (was it this post or somebody else's.. I forget, senior moment :)) they weren't kidding! And my mother rather likes it, too, because of the tuition deal -- the website states, none, everyone is on a full tuition scholarship. I'm wondering, is this for just this year or maybe next year as well? My parents were just so impressed, they had to call up for more information. :)

I'm still reading over NCSA's information, but from the looks of it, financial aid isn't offered to high school students (I may be wrong, please correct me if so), and the tuition scholarship thing just really pleases my mother. We aren't opulent rich people, so opportunites like this are so tempting. :)

However, I heard that Harid is a really technically demanding school, and because I can't really pull off a triple en pointe consistently and I have these wobbling problems in pointe shoes (I'll try that grating thing someone suggested) in penchée, I have doubts.. But I am probably the most stubborn and determined person you'll meet, who will run over any complainers just to make sure variations class is carried out. ;) (Again, I am stating the need for an evil smiley face on this board). There's no way of knowing if I'll gain entrance without actually seeing me dance, but for next year, will a fifteen year old (I'm 14 now) stand a chance?

--Luka

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Luka ]

Guest Gypsy

NCSA does offer financial aid, particularly to out-of-state students. You must be accepted first and the aid is based on need. They also offer merit scholarships, usually to returning students. Although the dance tuition is covered at Harid, living expenses are not. The school could give you a good estimate of what those would be. I personally know several students who have been accepted into Harid's year-round program. A wide range of shapes, sizes and abilities. All were hard workers and very dedicated. You must attend the summer session first though. I would advise auditioning for more than one program to allow you some options. Acceptance into these programs is never a sure thing and I have seen many girls assume they would get into a particular school and not have a back-up plan. Good luck!

BA2's Mom

I just returned from Harid, dropping my daughter off. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and help!

Guest samba38

On Harid, Ba2Mom, I hope you can tell me there are changes in a few things since the Miami Herald did a Sunday magazine story on the school 8 or 9 years ago. At that time the girls were weighed regularly and one of the featured lasses who was still 5 pounds over the desired limit was bounced out of the spring show. It appeared to be an excellent ballet school and closet eating disorder factory. But 8 or 9 years is a long time and perhaps they have seen the light in creating a healthier atmosphere. It's a challenge to audition pre-pubescent 13- and 14-year-olds and select them by talent and body type and then have them undergo all the growth and change and hormones that occur 15-16 before their bodies settle down again at 17-18. It takes some sophisticated management and harid may well have this now. I'd like to hear about it from a person whose knowledge is current.

Guest ForeverRed06

Hi.

:) If you want you can come to dallas, though its pretty hot down here. I'm not sure about these schools emphesis on ballet but there acedemics is good.

ESD (Episcopal School of Dallas) No housing

Hockaday (All girls) They have dorms I think

Lutheran (No housing) Very small school

There are way more good private schools in Dallas but I dont know there names. There's St.Marys, I think, and St. Johns.

Hope I helped! :)

BA2's Mom

Most of the girls appeared to be very thin. The older they were, the thinner they were!

The cafe offered fat free everything-milk, sour-cream, salad dressing and a vegitarian menu. It didn't look like seconds were available to them.My dau was complaining, I gave her money and told her to buy the things she wants to eat, Hidden Valley and 2% and reg sour cream and cookies etc..

I do not know if they enforce weight issue by manatory weigh inns-I hope not. I have asked my friend who's daughter went there last year to respond. :confused:

Victoria Leigh

This topic has become more of a parent's topic than a student's topic, and is going into issues that I feel are more suited for the Ballet Mom's and Dad's board, so, I'm moving it over there.

vrsfanatic

I would like to suggest that perhaps instead of keeping the rumor mill abuzz that the interested parties should discuss the concerns about indiviual programs with the administrations of each school and see how the discussions go. Everyone has written interesting concerns regarding residential programs but I do not think these concerns are only in residential programs. They are in all walks of life. The ballet world definitely is more visible, but I cannot believe that in this day and age any program could "encourage" the behaviours discussed in this thread. Call the schools and see what they are doing about these concerns to help to educate the students.

Parents and students are excellent sources of information however I also have found they sometimes can exagerate situations because they tend to look at a school and its worth based upon casting issues. This is said basically from experience. Find a student doing "lead" roles and mostlikely you have happy campers. Whereas the students and their families doing the "average" roles tend to be more disgruntled.

I highly suggest parents visit the schools they are interested in "auditioning". No school can function well if the student body and parents are disgruntled. Sending your children away for an education has been done for centuries, and not just in ballet. It can be very successful or it could not still be such a viable option internationally. First, know the goals of the child, know how you may help the child to accomplish these goals and be definative. Support the schools emotionally. They cannot function with a virus running through them. Residential programs must have rules. Follow them so the entire student body may function smoothly.

May your search be rewarding!

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: vrsfanatic ]

BA2's Mom

My friend, a very reliable source says:

"There is only one official weigh in at the beginning of the year.

They let them know then if they are of the right weight, if not they go to

see the nutrionist. From my knowledge, there is not any other official

weigh-in's during the year. HOWEVER, weight DOES seem to be very important

to them. Body proportions, too. Comments are made about their weight from

time to time and definately discussed during student conferences. Before

the Christmas performance a list was made as to which girls needed to lose

weight. The girls were called in one by one and talked to--a very upsetting

issue for them. So, unlike Kirov with the weekly weigh-ins, Harid is still

very strict and ridgid on how their dancers look. All this is just ONE of

the many issues at Harid that the dancers need to deal with on a daily

basis".

Guest balletmama

To the original poster, what about the Bossov Ballet program in Maine? It's affiliated with a private school, the Maine Central Institute, that seems to be good, and I am pretty sure there is scholarship money. Do a search; they have a website. Andrei Bossov, former Kirov choreographer, is an excellent teacher. I believe he's sometimes on this site, actually. ;-)

vagansmom

My daughter spent one summer at Harid. She adored the classes, thought they were the most uniformly technical classes she'd ever taken. She did comment about weight being a huge issue there. I know from a couple other kids who stayed the year that this is true. It's old-school Vaganova and the weight factor is one of many- some good, some bad- that go along with it.

It's a hard school to get into as you get older. They like to take the younger girls first - the ones going into freshman & sophomore years of high school. They don't accept girls going into their senior years. Their turnover rate is high: if your body develops along the lines of whatever they might think is not conducive to a classical ballet dancer career, they'll ask you to leave at the end of the year. They're not like many other schools who'll continue to develop a dancer with a less than perfect ballet body but fine technique and talent. They're more hard-nosed about it. Harid is more forgiving, as must be, of the body of a 14 year old but much less so once you're 16. I'd say they're on par with SAB in that area. Most other ballet programs aren't as strict although they won't accept a really overweight dancer.

So if you're accepted there, you can't expect that you'll continue till you graduate. It's better to prepare for the possibility of NOT continuing there so you have a place to go if you're asked to leave.

As far as finances, yes, the dance education is full scholarship but the room/board isn't. It's still cheap though - a very important consideration. Harid is in an unusual situation whereby they've received, and continue to receive, considerable private money to run their program. That said, they formerly housed a Music Conservatory but their benefactors made them close it because they weren't actively seeking funds from outside the benefactor(s). (Local newspaper source as well as private source). They're supposed to be working towards autonomy economically. In the meantime, they have the luxury of picking and choosing their dancers without being strapped by money issues unlike so many other schools. It will be interesting to see if that changes down the road.

Someone mentioned ST. Paul's. It's a private boarding school with the best dance program among boarding schools. But it's not up to par with ballet schools so don't consider it. Even if you WERE interested, you'd have to take the SSAT's the year before, and score very highly before being considered at all. It's very competitive. SSAT scores are marked in two ways: your score compared to other public/private students combined (you must be in the 99%) and your scores compared to only other independent schools (you must be in the high 70's or better to be considered). St. Paul's and all other highly competitive boarding schools really just look at the independent school student comparison scores. (But they'd probably let you take English 2 as a freshman if you could prove to them you're capable - my daughter's school does.)

Re SAB: it's worth a look. You're about a year from the age where they (and Harid as well) look more at technique attained than potential. They give great scholarships as does the Professional Children's School, a private school many SABer's attend. It's a very flexible program, used to accomodating students' individual schedules.

I was amused to hear your comments about Hawaii's private schools (I believe you though) not being very good. It's always a matter of perspective, isn't it? My cousin lives on the island of Pohnpei, one of the Mariana Islands. He sent his two children to Hawaii for their education once they reached middle school because "Hawaii's schools are so much better". Pohnpei is even more laid back than what you've described!

PleeA

Have you checked into Virginia School of the Arts in Lynchburg, Virginia? My daughter went for the summer program and was asked to stay for the year-round. She declined because she wanted to graduate from her home school. From what I understand, the high school there (I think it is called Glass or something like that) is very highly thought of and ranked very well among high schools. You may want to check into it.

Guest dancedarling5

Sorry, I know this is on the parents board, but I was reading a previous post on the YD board, and just wanted to clear something up. The private schools in Dallas that are mentioned do NOT place any sort of strong emphasis on dance. Suffice to say I know this, I'm not going to say why, b/c i don't want to give away personal info. So, if you want to come to Dallas for school, come for academics and not dance education! They have dance programs, but not intensive by any means.

I didn't mean to intrude, just wanted to clear that up.

Ed McPherson

The Education at Interlochen is amazingly high in quality, the average SAT score is 1250, keep in mind this is with a large number of students who are new to america and dont speak english well! There are 3 ballet teachers, there is always one guest teacher on hand. on the side of education, AP test scores are also absurdly high with an average of around 4! And dont sneer at NCSA! From what i hear, and a visit, it is amazingly touching, Melissa Hadyen, Mr. Pondi and others give it a very professional touch, NCSA has, i believe, around 8 dance teachers, this actually apeals to me seeing as how a student could become more versed in each teachers unique style. I've also heard that NCSA is a great place to begin a network of professionals in the arts! The High School is on the College campus and there are far more students at NCSA than Interlochen, and the location is more condusive too. i know all this is late but i just wanted to shout out! and a list of high schools for ballet dancers, some of these pop out pro dancers some dont, its depends what your looking for

North Carolina School of the Arts

Interlochen. Michigan

Harid, Florida

National ballet school of Canada www.nbs-end.on.ca

Virginia School of the Arts (804) 847-8688

High School for Perf/vis. arts in Houston TX 713-942-1965

High School for creat/perf arts in Ohio 513-632-5947

Somerset County Vocational High School in New Jersey 908-526-8900 x277

The Cambridge School of Weston 781-642-8657

Alabama School of Fine Arts 205-252-9241

Idyllwild in Southern Californa

Walnut Hill

The Rock School of Ballet

Ballet High School and Boarding School in Austria, The Vienna opera ballet school 011-43-1-51444-2640

Canada's Royal Winnapeg ballet school 1-204-956-0183

Quinte Ballet School, Belleville, Ontario, Canada 1-613-962-9274

Elmhurst Ballet School in England, Tele: 01276-65301

Junior All Nations Ballet Company in Germany, free tutition to all students! (0049)89-337763

I am sure that i have left some important or not so important ones out, if u know of any please let me know!