Ballet Talk for Dancers

Company Auditions at 16

xlilnysweetix

i just recently turned 16 and i was just wondering if company auditions would be worth trying this year just to see what they are like ... or should i not even think about it

Guest PointeBaby_x3

I would give it a shot..I did this year and I`m 12 years old. That`s what i would do, but it`s up to you!! Good luck with your decision! :thumbsup:

• Administrators

I think that the original poster is talking about professional company auditions, PointeBaby. That is a whole different ball game.

xlilNYsweetix, I don't think it's a good idea to do a professional company audition unless a ) you are totally company ready; and b ) you will accept a contract if you get one, whether you are finished with school or not.

• Administrators

No, it is not a good idea. You would be taking up a space, and receiving time and attention which you would be taking away from someone who is company ready. Professional jobs are few, and the auditions are always very large. It would not be fair to attend if there is no chance of accepting a contract.

I think it is a good idea for someone of 16 who is technically advanced and mature enough to be looked at by companies. Better to be prepared for what you are going to have to do at 18 so you know what to expect. Also, a lot of bigger companies these days are hiring girls of 16 as apprentices and trainees. New York City Ballet for example has girls apprentice while they are still continuing High School with a modified schedule. If you are ready and technically solid I see no reason why you couldn't go and see what happens in a company audition. If nothing more than to see what kind of talent is out there at the present time so that you can work on qualities you may need to develop. This will give you an advantage when you are truly ready for the job. As far as wasting time, money, and studio space, e-mail or send a resume to the company you intend to audition for prior to auditioning to see whether or not they would consider you and if it is worth coming. Some companies pre-register who they would like to attend the audition. I would ask if that particular company accepts 16 year olds for company auditions before attending! Anyway, don't be scared! The worst they can tell you is "No" and if you're enthusiastic, go for it!

Guest dancer522

I still don't think that makes sense... what if they give you an offer? Are you going to accept it? You can probably tell what level the people auditioning will be at by looking around at the girls in the highest levels at your SIs or at your school, or by looking at the corps of the company.

I would assume that if the offer was good enough, or appealing to the particular dancer and his/her parents that they would take it. Like Ms. Leigh said, positions in companies are hard to come by these days and if you happen to get one, you're not just going to turn it down. And if the company wants you bad enough, they will be willing to work with you as far as finishing your schooling goes. The seriousness of this posted topic all depends on the level of the dancer!

• Administrators

It still comes back to whether the dancer wanting to audition is a ) company ready; and, b ) ready to accept a contract if offered. Otherwise there is no way one should audition. Auditioning before you are ready is just not a good idea. If you are an absolutely exceptional 16 year old, which does happen once in a great while, and if your parents are willing to let you leave home and work with a professional company before you have finished high school, then go for it. If not, wait. You can do SI auditions for experience, but not professional auditions.