Ballet Talk for Dancers

Miami City Ballet School

Allegrodancer

Hello, I am a 15 year old male dancer looking to get some info about the Miami City Ballet School. I am thinking of attending their year-round audition sometime over the summer, and I wanted to know the requirements or specific criteria they use for the students. I know I cannot really get any answers verifying I'll get in because you have never seen me dance, but I was just hoping to answers these following questions

-Is Miami City Ballet audition hard to get into if you're a guy (I am asking from a male perspective)

-How is the school?

-What style to they teach (Balanchine- My guess / Vaganova/ etc)

-Do they like men and have a good men's program?

I have a lot more experience with Russian Ballet than Balanchine, is that going to hurt me a lot?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers, I would really appreciate it!

PS Sorry for crossing someone else's topic ?

Edited by MichaelJay
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Allegrodancer

• BW

• abirgirl

• LRivers

• Administrators

Michael, you will need to read back through this topic, as there are 10 pages of information on MCB! After you read it, if you still have questions please ask them here.

Oh, and I think all schools like men, as long as they are serious and committed to learning and have a good work ethic! :)

• 6 months later...

My son (17) has been looking at Miami, and we've read through the threads here. He has heard that MCB is less Balanchine now compared to previous years. Yet, when he looks at the Artistic leadership and faculty he still sees a lot of Balanchine backgrounds. Do any current MCB students or parents know if what he has heard is true? Is there still a strong Balanchine influence at MCB?

@slhogan:

My daughter did their five-week summer intensive this past June/July and found it to be very Balanchine. In fact, it took some "getting used to" for her, as she had never studied the style before.

The performance (very impressive, by the way!) at the the end of the intensive was also very Balanchine. (Side note: their modern dances were amazing!)

Very few were invited to attend their year-round from the summer program, and the one girl who was selected from my daughter's level came from SAB - another Balanchine school.

I don't know if the intensive is reflective of their year-round program, but thought I'd share nonetheless.

Pointy_ears-- that helps a lot. Thanks!

aspirant_dancer-- I don't know why I didn't think of that. I did as you suggested, and saw that all the story ballets were choreographed by Balanchine and was at least one piece in each mixed rep program. I guess that answers that question!

• 5 weeks later...

I've been reading through the Miami website and the many pages on this board, and I have some unanswered questions. Does anyone know the answer to any of these?

1. On the website, I see descriptions of "Pre-Professional 1" and "Pre-Professional 2", and I see that PP2 participates in the MCB School Ensemble. I do not see any mention of "Trainees" or "Second/Studio Company", so I am assuming those do not exist at MCB. In the absence of a 2nd Company, is PP2 the final level of a student's training? That is, are graduates of PP2 typically hired straight into companies or do they more commonly go on to spend a year or two in 2nd companies?

2. The website mentions "Apprentices" being chosen from PP2 and also participating in the MCB School Ensemble. Are these "Company" Apprentices (contracted with the professional company) or is "Apprentice" just the name of the highest level of the school?

3. What is the average age of PP1 and PP2 students?

4. Do PP students participate in any competitions, such as YAGP? If so, is it mandatory and/or strongly encouraged?

5. Can anyone share a sample weekly schedule for PP1 and PP2? I cannot find any schedules on their website.

6. Do Men take morning technique class with the Women, or do they have their own tech classes?

If you have the answer to any of these questions, I'd appreciate reading it!

• 1 month later...

Hello:

Can anyone share information on the following:

1. Recent input on housing costs for pre-pro students?

2. Input from anyone who is using homeschool or virtual school? Are there Florida specific options?

3. Are decisions on year round made at the same time as you receive results from SI audition? Or are decisions made during the SI?

DS strongly looking at this program for his Senior year HS--just in the information gathering stage.

Thanks--

• 3 weeks later...

tuladancemom,

Offers for the year round can come from the SI audition (dd was pulled aside after SI audition and invited), but it says you have to attend the summer and they will reassess to make sure you are a good fit for their program. I think even though the letter says you have been "invited" to the pre-professional program . . . it's really just to let you know they think you would be a good fit, but come to the SI to find out. Interestingly, there is a page to "accept" or "decline" the offer . . . not sure who would do that without going through the SI first, especially without any personal experience with MCB School.

If anyone else can answer some of the other question asked by tuladancermom and slhogan, that would be great!

My DD went to MCBS from September 2013 through May 2015, so for two years. I am copying and pasting questions and trying to answer them.

1. On the website, I see descriptions of "Pre-Professional 1" and "Pre-Professional 2", and I see that PP2 participates in the MCB School Ensemble. I do not see any mention of "Trainees" or "Second/Studio Company", so I am assuming those do not exist at MCB. In the absence of a 2nd Company, is PP2 the final level of a student's training? That is, are graduates of PP2 typically hired straight into companies or do they more commonly go on to spend a year or two in 2nd companies?

PP1 and PP2 are the Pre-Pro levels, 1 coming before 2. PP2 participates in the Ensemble, and often dancers from PP1 are also chosen for the Ensemble. My DD performed with the Ensemble in her PP1 year. There are no trainees and there is no second company; PP2 is indeed the final level of training. Some dancers spend more than one year in PP2, depending on how old they were when they got there. Some dancers left for trainee opportunities with other companies (including my DD) and one (slightly older) dancer was offered a corps contract with a company. Some went to college.

2. The website mentions "Apprentices" being chosen from PP2 and also participating in the MCB School Ensemble. Are these "Company" Apprentices (contracted with the professional company) or is "Apprentice" just the name of the highest level of the school?

There are students apprentices who perform with the company. They take class both innthe school and with the company. The number of apprentiçes varies from year to year. Dancers from PP2 are also chosen to perform with the company, but not all dancers and they are not necessarily apprentices. In 2015, both female apprentices were hired by MCB. They had been at the school several years, before the current administration took over. As I said earlier, the highest level of the school is PP2.

3. What is the average age of PP1 and PP2 students?

PP1 can be 14 to 17 and PP2 is about 15 to 18 or 19, maybe even 20.

4. Do PP students participate in any competitions, such as YAGP? If so, is it mandatory and/or strongly encouraged?

Strongly discouraged and frowned upon.

5. Can anyone share a sample weekly schedule for PP1 and PP2? I cannot find any schedules on their website.

PP1 has afternoon class and PP2 starts in the morning. I do not have a current schedule. There is a lot of class, plus pilates, and a lot of rehearsal, The Ensemble performs frequently.

6. Do Men take morning technique class with the Women, or do they have their own tech classes?

I think men have their own class, but I cannot say much about it. There is also Pas de Deux, of course.

1. Not sure of current housing costs. The students live in apartments with four dancers to a generously-sized one-bedroom, and a supervisor in the building.

2. The students homeschool, either through programs in their home state, through Keystone or Laurel Springs or one of the commercial online programs, or through Florida Virtual School. FLVS is the Florida public school, which follows Common Core, online. The student can also attend Beach High across the street, but this is very challenging with the MCBS class and rehearsal schedule. If your dancer is already homeschooling, I'd stick with that program. FLVS will insist the student take assessments from earlier years, in courses like Algebra, Geometry, for instance, in order to grant a diploma. The Dwight School in New York also has a recently introduced online program that is easy to navigate, challenging, and well-administered. Most of these programs offer Honors and AP options, and it is possible to register your student to take the AP or the SAT's/ACT's in Miami even when he/she is homeschooled.

Thank you very much, Fantomas58!

After the SI audition, Olivier Pardina encouraged DS17 to join the PP2 program, and DS is strongly considering it. DS was surprised at the invitation since my he has had no Balanchine experience. But, from what I can see, Olivier Pardina does not have a Balanchine background, and it surprised me that MCB would have a non-Balanchine principal faculty member. Is the school as strongly Balanchine as the company?

• 2 weeks later...

fantomas58, there's a documentary by Teen Vogue on YouTube about students at MCB called Strictly Ballet. There are multiple short episodes and in those it features students who are PP2 AND apprentices simutaneously. Two of the girls are 18, had been there for 4 years, 2 of those spent as apprentices.

Edited by VikingMom