Ballet Talk for Dancers

Miami City Ballet School

Allegrodancer

Ray is at the Mantell. It is located on 24th street, a block away from Miami City Ballet. The rooms are clean, but small. You can stay for varied amounts of time here.

Cynthia Apartments is also really close. The area is a bit shady around there, but it still is not a bad crime spot or anything. The rooms are bigger here, and also cost less, but you have to do a year lease, I think.

The Roney is on collins on the beach. Its nice, but more expensive. The name is being changed to Paradisio I believe it is.

There are other apartments in the area, Decoplage on Lincoln Road, the Flamingo, Southgate towers, just to name those off of the top of my head.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Allegrodancer

• LRivers

• BW

• cahill

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Snowcaps

BW, my daughter was asked to stay and in the paperwork we were given there is no mention of dorms at J&W and their Access program. We were told that she would have to get an apartment nearby or room with another student. Of course, I was not comfortable with her being unsupervised like that since she's still in high school. It just doesn't seem set-up for that kind of arrangement.

Are the dorms a real possibility for next year then? That would be great. :D

Thanks so much dancer8906, any information is much appreciated. And thanks so much about mentioning the name change from The Roney to the Paradisio, too! :D

snowcaps, if you scroll back to the beginning of this thread there is some discussion about the Johnston and Wales deal...here is their website J & W High School Junior ACCESS and it turns out I misread the details before :blink: - one has to be a high school senior to enroll! Oops - that's important to note, for sure. :blushing:

If you would like to get a jump start on your college education, you should look into our ACCESS program (A College Career Experience for Secondary School Students). Through the ACCESS program, high school seniors can enroll full-time at Johnson & Wales to begin their college education during their senior year of high school. Students earn both high school and college credits at the same time, and benefit by paying half the tuition rate of regular programs for your first year...
Guest Snowcaps

BW, I wonder if that would work; i.e. going to J&W full-time and having classes in the morning for MCB? Nevertheless, my daughter isn't a senior yet, so that won't work for her. :dry:

Snowcaps, I really don't know anything about the whole ACCESS/ J & W thing. Miami has worked something out with the program according to earlier posts in this thread.

Best wishes! :thumbsup:

AsleepATheWheel

While the J&W possibility could work out for some senior students, the distance from J&W may pose a problem. It would be nice if a dorm type situation could be set up within close walking distance to the ballet school, complete with doting housemother :thumbsup: .

Allegrodancer

Actually, the Roney Palace is not changing its name. The Paradiso is the other half of the building. It is more of a hotel environment. The Roney Palace is the condo half (where you will be able to find rentable units).

For anyone looking for apartments: I suggest you take a look at Craig's List Miami. http://miami.craigslist.org

• 5 months later...
cecchettiballetgirl

I hope this is the right place to post this question, I'm not entirely sure where to post it.

I just found out that our family is going to Miami on vacation in March and I was looking on the Miami City Ballet School website and saw that they have open classes. I don't see a whole lot of information on the site, so I was wondering if anyone knows much about them? In particular, I'm wondering about the level of classes (advanced? intermediate), whether or not they do pointe in the ballet classes and whether they let teens take the classes. I'm 16 and in the second highest level at my home school.

Thank you!

Allegrodancer

Hi checchettiballetgirl,

The open ballet classes at MCB are excellent, in my opinion. The instructor was previously a soloist for the Bolshoi Ballet. I actually regularly take them, in addition to several MCB company members and other advanced students. As far as pointe goes, it is completely up to you. I, personally, always take center on pointe.

Hope to see you soon in class! :thumbsup:

Allegrodancer

• 3 weeks later...

Allegrodancer,

I've just read through the entire thread concerning the year-round MCB program. Thank you for taking the time to post.

My daughter has been dancing for 5 1/2 years and this will be her first SI away from her home school. She has been accepted into the MCB SI, level VI. We are seriously considering the MCB Year-round program. It sounds like you are very happy with the program and with your progress.

Any advice for my daughter, in 'making the grade' for the year round program?

Thanks,

Quarterking

cecchettiballetgirl

Thank you, Allegrodancer! The classes sound great. I'll be sure to pack my tights and pointe shoes along with my bathing suit. :)

Allegrodancer

QuarterKing,

I am sure that the registrar, Jesus, and school director, Linda Villella, would be happy to answer your questions. They are both extremely welcoming. I would encourage you to contact them for specific info about the year-round program.

From everything I have read both here and on the MCB website, I got the impression that the year round program was best suited for someone who is atleast a highschool junior. Am I correct about this?

Yes, I am also interested in what age the advanced level/year round program entertains full time students. If any one can help on this issue, I would appreciate it as well.

We will be contacting the school soon, but I thought someone here may know the answer to this.

Quarterking

AsleepATheWheel
My daughter has been dancing for 5 1/2 years and this will be her first SI away from her home school. She has been accepted into the MCB SI, level VI. We are seriously considering the MCB Year-round program.

Qk,

While you have not mentioned the age of your dd, I believe that there are 2 levels beyond level VI that she would have to pass through to reach the Advanced Level. MCBS is a fantastic school but unless they have something new planned for 2007/2008 school year, there are no dorms for year round, though I believe that high school seniors could last year make some arrangement with Johnson and Wales Univ (if you read this entire thread, I think that info is still there). To my knowledge, many of the year round students from out of town live in apartments or relocate with a parent. I would advise that you contact the school for more info. They are very helpful and informative. Best to you and your dd.