Ballet Talk for Dancers

Miami City Ballet School

Allegrodancer

carpoolleader

You are right pa07, it is WAY to early for us to be thinking about companies and even to think of living away from home to study. I could see her doing this following high school graduation but not now or any time soon. Unfortunately, I would not be able to go with her.

Another thing that impresses me about MCB school is that in addition to the fact that several of their students do get hired into the company, most of the others (if not all?) get offers from other companies, and well known ones at that.

We are 99% sure now that DD will go there this summer and then just see how she likes it and how they like her!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Allegrodancer

• LRivers

• BW

• cahill

Top Posters In This Topic

Both DD and I are unclear- on the MCBS website, it states that a registration form and fee must be sent in with the audition video. This indicates to me that the video is actually a substitute for a placement class rather than an audition which would determine acceptance, is this correct? I.e. is enrollment in the school guaranteed, but the video is used to determine the student's level? DD falls under the 13-18 category.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

The video is used in lieu of an audition if you cannot make an audition or if you are an international candidate. From the video they will determine acceptance [or non-acceptance] and placement level. If you opt for a video audition the registration form and fee must accompany it.

chatwidow

My dd is currently an advanced student at MCB and does not have the "perfect" body for ballet but does have significant flexibility and some other pluses in her favor.

This year the school has been pickier than ever over body type for the summer program [not so in the past]. There were also two year-round students that were not accepted back for next year due to body type issues [not so in the past either].

Due to the immense popularity of the SI program and the year-round school it is becomingly increasingly difficult to be accepted to both the SI and the school.

I don't have any advice for you on whether she should attend or not. I just wanted to explain the potential reason for the comments.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi tutu123,

Actually height is not really an issue mostly weight and proportion. If a dancer has shorter legs with a longer torso, for example, they may not get in just based on the body type. Also weight is a bigger factor than in the past, however, if they suspect a dancer has an eating disorder they don't like that either.

• 1 month later...
HeartRoyalBallet

How is the atmosphere at MCBS yearround? Are the kids caddy and mean or pretty nice? What about the teachers? Is there a lot of favoritism?

• 2 months later...

It's my understanding that the teachers are pretty fair and interested solely in the improvement of the dancers. The students, for the most part, all get along pretty well and support one another. It is not as "catty" as one would think.

• 2 weeks later...
Momof3darlings

I'm hoping someone will be able to update on the current "graduates" (if any) in this program and what their plans are for next year. If they have company positions, please let us know if those are trainee, apprentice, corp and then male/female. This information helps others track the true success of the program from year to year.

• 6 months later...

Anyone out there living at the Mantell and attending MCBS? I have DD who may be moving in there in January and looking for a walking buddy! Anyone looking for a roommate (there or somewhere else) for the Jan-Jun term? Also how strict is the dress code? It says black leo w/ pink belt or white w/ black belt, is there a specific style of leo or just anything black or white?

As of Fall 2009, MCBS has two advanced levels. The elder of my dk's is in Advanced I, which meets during the day, and the younger is in Advanced II, which meets after school. The next level is 6. Those students are ages 13-16, more or less.

We live about six blocks away on the other side of the Convention Center. My older child walks to and from class every day. The younger one walks to class, but I pick them up after dark or they take a longer and safer route with a buddy.

The dress code is strict. The leotards are made for the students by a particular company that you go to to get fitted. Even my four year old who attends a Mommy and Me class with me wears the uniform with the MCBS logo embroidered on it. My six year old ds wears black shorts that also come from this store.

We lived at the Mantell in two adjoining efficiencies for the summer and were very happy there, but we have too many people(5) to live there long term. I would be happy to answer questions about MCBS and about living in South Beach.

Hi if anyone can tell me this it would be great

if you audition for the summer can they offer you year round place or if you go during the summer, can you ask or get asked for the year round program. also, does the year round program offer dorms or anything. thanks

carpoolleader

Amandancer,

My dd went to Miami for two summers and they do make year round offers to summer students (during the summer program and mostly to those in the "Advanced" levels but also from level 8 sometimes) and students can ask to be evaluated to stay year round which they will do and give you a "yes" or "no" answer. We are not aware of them making these offers during summer intensive auditions, but that does not mean it doesn't happen - just that we do not personally know anyone for whom this happened. Hope this helps.