Ballet Talk for Dancers

Miami City Ballet School

Allegrodancer

Does anyone know if they ask students from the summer course to stay year round? And do they ask towards the end of the intensive?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Allegrodancer

• LRivers

• BW

• cahill

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any info about this upcoming year for the Pre-professional II level? Also, what's the distinction between the PPII and Student Apprentice? Is the Student aprentice diff from the company apprentice? Thanks!

Does anyone know if they ask students from the summer course to stay year round? And do they ask towards the end of the intensive?

Yes, there is a paper to be filled out during the summer course if you wish to be considered for year-round admission. I believe decisions are made toward the end of the intensive so that they can evaluate students properly.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My daughter will be 15 by September and would like to stay for the year round program after the SI. I am looking for information on acceptance rate, housing and academics for 15 year olds. I would also like to know more about the supervision of students. Any current info would be appreciated.

Hi PAL123 I am in the same position as you :-) My 15 yr old will be at Miami as well this summer and is wanting to stay after the summer program. There are parents of current students on the forum that have share really good info with me on housing, academics, and supervision. It would be heresay, so I won't repeat but I was pleased with what I was told and look forward getting more info.

PAL 123-Take a look at the SI thread. There are some posts there from members whose DK's have stayed for the residential program.

• 4 weeks later...

PAL123: DD, 15, dances year-round at MCBS. She has been there one year and had twice been to the SI. Last year, dancers were told if they were accepted into the year-round program during the final week of the SI. I cannot speak to the acceptance rate.

Year-round students are housed in a supervised residential hotel a five minute walk from the studio on Miami Beach. There are four dancers per room, which consists of a large bedroom, a living area, an eat-in kitchen, and a bathroom. There is weekly maid service. The dancers cook for themselves--there is a Publix and a Fresh Market within easy walking distance, and a Whole Foods a quick cab ride away. DD was not a good cook at the beginning of the year, but she has learned how to plan, shop, and prepare simple, balanced meals.

The academic options include Beach High, the public school across the street from the residence (MCBS has an arrangement with the school); Florida Virtual School, which is the online version of Florida public school and can be either combined with Beach High or used alone if your DK is a registered homeschooler; whatever homeschool program you are already using. You can research both Beach High and FLVS online. FLVS, like Beach High, follows Common Core standards. DD uses FLVS as a homeschooler, and I supplement occasionally. FLVS does offer a wide range of AP's, and math through at least AB Calc. DD has been homeschooled since she was very young so has not had trouble adjusting to working independently. I did hire a math tutor to be certain that she understands math thoroughly.

The supervision is acceptable. MCBS employs a full-time supervisor, and the hotel/residence has a 24 hour person at the front desk. The supervisor does nightly bed checks and holds weekly dorm meetings. If there is a drama among the roommates, she will intervene if they are unable to resolve the problem themselves. She does not supervise schoolwork, but she is warm and caring and will listen if a dancer is homesick. The school does assume that the dancer is responsible.

DD has been very happy. She loves the ballet instruction, and has adjusted to living away from home. The school is very well-run and responsive to its students.

Thank you for the detailed information. I have one other question. Do you know what the dress code is for the year round program?

There is a required uniform for both pre-pro levels. Girls wear very simple (spaghetti strap, with a pinch) Mirella black or a white leos, with skirts, depending on the day and the class. A local dance supply store sells the specific leotards, with embroidered MCBS initials, and skirts. If your DD is accepted and decides to stay, you will have plenty of time to order the leotards. As a student of the school, you get a discount. MCBS also requires specific tights and flat shoes, also sold by the local store. I don't know if the school has a position on pointe shoes. My DD wears Freeds, as do her roommates and many of her friends. Freed reps visit over the summer to do fittings.

fantomas58, thank you for the info. Can you also please provide typical weekly schedule, this year's performance opportunities and matriculation (for those that have already made the decision)?

oldtown: you're very welcome. I think the Miami City Ballet School website has typical weekly schedules for all levels, including Pre-Pro I and II. In general, Pre-Pro II, the school's top level (which includes the apprentices), has class in the morning and early afternoon; Pre-Pro I takes class in the afternoon. Both levels can take pilates and floor barre, which are scheduled at the end of the Pre-Pro II day or the beginning of the Pre-Pro I afternoon. The Saturday schedule for both pre-pro levels is the same.

Apprentices were cast in the MCB Nutcracker, as well as in many of the company's productions throughout the season. Pre-Pro II students also had the opportunity to audition for and perform in a local Nutcracker.

Pre-Pro II dancers, and a few Pre-Pro I dancers, have been rehearsing and performing George Balanchine's "Serenade" since the late autumn, either for schools or donors. Rehearsals have been added to the typical schedule. These dancers will also perform at the school's annual workshop the first weekend in May (you can check the website for further information). In addition to "Serenade," all pre-pro dancers are performing selections from "Sleeping Beauty," original choreography by their ballet teachers, and a jazz piece by Rafi Maldonado-Lopez (featured in the May issue of Dance Teacher magazine). Some of this will be repeated in a mid-May showcase of the entire Miami City Ballet School. I am uncertain about what is being performed again in mid-May.

In addition, there is a showcase of student choreography, featuring pre-pro students from both levels, at the end of April. The student choreographers are responsible for selecting music, casting, costumes, lighting, and choreography and are given rehearsal time. Pre-Pro I choreographers cast Pre-Pro I dancers, and Pre-Pro II choreographers cast dancers from their level. Teachers and MCBS Director, Darleen Callaghan, supervise the process.

Rehearsal time for performances is built into the schedule. As performance dates draw closer, there is more rehearsal.

I am not sure who is going where next year. DD has a general, self-imposed rule that she reduces her own anxiety about ballet if she does not discuss plans, ballet or college, with others. DD will be returning to MCBS. I do know that two MCBS apprentices have recently signed MCB corps contracts--that information is on the MCB website. I also know that MCBS students are going to excellent SI's, including, among others, SAB, PNB, San Francisco, Boston, Carolina Ballet, CPYB, and EBSF. Some dancers choose to stay at MCBS over the summer.

This has been an excellent experience for DD. There are enough performance opportunities, but not so many that they have detracted from training. She came from a small suburban ballet school, as well as an excellent (and separate) tap program, and had considerable performance experience. She needed to focus on technique, and she has been able to do that, while rehearsing and performing throughout the year.

• 2 weeks later...
5678Dance

Hoping someone can answer my question quickly. My DK auditioned for the year-round program (pre-professional level) on Sunday. Today we received an email saying "congratulations on being considered for the program" and that a phone interview with Ms. Callaghan was next. I wasn't expecting that... any idea what types of questions would be asked? Also are there more steps to the process of acceptance? We just want to be prepared. Thanks in advance for any information provided.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: My DK did have the interview with Ms. Callaghan. It turned out to be just basic questions about dance experience, etc. She also went over info about the program. My DK was accepted into the year-round program and we are extremely excited about this awesome opportunity.