Ballet Talk for Dancers

Employment: Moving to Europe

Petite_Arabesque

Hopefully someone can help me; I'm in a bit of a pickle, as they say :flowers: As of October 1, I will be moving from New Jersey to Monte Carlo, Monaco, to study with Marika Besobrasova at L'Ecole de Danse Classique Princesse Grace. It is an amazing opportunity and I am really, really excited (and nervous!!!) about this upcoming year. HOWEVER, there are US companies that I want to audition for in spring 2006. I'm not really sure how to audition for these companies as I will be thousands of miles away for most of the year, including the spring when most auditions are held...I will be home for 2 weeks at the end of December, but I'm not sure about any spring breaks yet. SO I guess my question is, how do I go about contacting and auditioning for these companies? :yes:

Hoping someone can help me...

Carmen

Could you make a single trip to the US during audition season--February/March/April? The auditions are usually posted on company websites by December or January. Also, accessing the dance magazine websites would let you know when the auditions are scheduled. It might be possible for you to audition for quite a few companies if you plan a trip correctly and could spend a couple of weekends in the NYC area. If you send videos ahead to some of the more local companies, you might be able to audition during the week at company classes. Seldom are company positions given with video auditions only, but it does happen in some of the regional companies. Good luck on this difficult situation which would have been difficult even if you lived in the US.

European dancers communicate with American companies through snail mail, email and telephone. My suggestion is to contact the American companies you hope to audition for in January, right after Nutcracker season. Most likely a video would be helpful. Often Directors or a staff member will view the video and decide whether or not it could be a good fit. If they are interested they will tell you to come or not to come. For Europeans or dancers living/working in Europe, they may allow you to arrange a private audition by taking company class by a certain date.

Also, L'Ecole de Danse Classique Princesse Grace in Monaco is a very experienced school when it comes to dealing with foreigners. They may have a solution to your situation already worked out. Speak with them to see what they suggest.

Congratulations! What a great opportunity. What a fabulous place to go! Keep in touch. It will be most interesting to follow your travels!

vrsfanatic,

I figured that L'Ecole would be able to help me. I'm just always trying to plan ahead! I will try to post my experiences through the year; there is an internet cafe near the school that costs 5euros for 30 minutes, and I hope to go there once a week.

lilianna,

I'm not sure if I can visit the US during the company audition season. Even if I could, plane fares are so expensive that I don't know if my parents would be willing to pay that.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens! :o

Carmen