Ballet Talk for Dancers
Shadow

Online Videos: Polina Semionova

Balletismykidslife!

Amazing, beautiful, captivating & mesmerizing....these are only some of the words to describe this beautiful dancer. Polina's extensions are seemingly endless as her grace & beauty take over your soul. I cannot wait to share this video with my dd when she gets home from school, she will fall in love with this and I am sure she will watch it over and over. I am so glad that Amy's Mom was able to repost this link because I had tried the old link many times only to receive an error every time.

Thanks so much for sharing this, it was a beautiful way to start my day......

Amy Reusch

And after all that, no one had anything to say about the cinematography? I wasn't crazy about the choreography, but I give high marks to the dancer, singer and cinematographer... So, does everyone like the dolly shots, do they add the feeling of movement or are they an overused gimmick? How about having the dancer leap practically OVER the camera?

How do you think the Groenemeyer/Semionova video compares with the Sting/Ferri video?:

They also liked that dolly/tracking shot.. Choreographically, I prefer the Ferri... particularly that little move into the bourees at about 3:32 (right after the italian changement).

Who is Fabrizio Ferri?

Here's a youtube link for the Semionova:

Amy'sMom

Amy,

I LOVE that Ferri/Sting video, too...it was my first introduction to Alessandra Ferri a few years ago! I was lucky enough to catch it on Classical Arts Showcase one day, and was able to record it. She has since become my favorite ballerina!

I believe that Fabrizio Ferri is Alessandra's husband. He is a fashion photographer and has a new book featuring his beautiful photographs of ABT dancers: 2006 ABT Souvenir Book

Some of the photographs from that book were featured in a recent issue of Pointe Magazine, as well as the ABT Met Season brochure. Stunning! :wink:

Amy Reusch

Thanks, I needed someone to jolt my memory :blink:

wannadance

It was my first time seeing the Ferri video, WOW!!!!!!

Balletismykidslife!

For those of you who have not yet seen this video, this is truly one of the most beautiful ballet video clips that I have ever seen!

Polina Semionova is an exquisite dancer. We have this site bookmarked and both dd and I watch it several times a week, it is a great way to bring a smile to your face as you see her passion exude from her dancing....IMO I think she is one of the best!!

At any rate the ONLY thing missing for us is the fact that the words to the music are in German! I would absolutley LOVE to know the exact words that are being sung to her beautiful dancing. Just when I thought there is nothing that could make that clip any better than it is ... I realized if someone on here could translate it for me and post what the words are ... That would be so awesome!!!!

I can't wait to see who responds to this post. I'm very excited! :D

dance_through_life

There is actually a huge thread on this that I'm sure if you search for it you will find it easily since it is fairly recent. One of our members actually translated this for us, so the translation can be found in the thread.

Andre Yew

About the worse thing you can say about this video is that the choreography looks like a bunch of classroom exercises strung together, but the cinematographer and director definitely have an appreciation and eye for ballet! I think I saw more elegant, balletic lines in this one video than in so many other contemporary ballet pieces. I wonder if someone could convince them to film the classics.

--Andre

janninepointe

The video is really good all put together actually, the perspective is really interesting as alot of the time she's film from behind or underneath/ontop not straight on like in many films... I'm not too sure but isn't Herbert Groenemeyer (spelling? i even have his album though) blind? It's funny but I started a choreography to one of his songs to do for two auditions this summer before I saw the video hehe. She's a really good dancer I really like the echappees where she kind of strechtes out her arms. I think it's really expressive

duhitsnicolette

I love this video it is sooo good! she is amazing she makes everything flow perfectly together!