Ballet Talk for Dancers
CKdance3

The Hartt School

CKdance3

I know this is very opinionated...but I have a question. I got into the Hartt School with a scholarship for fall 2005, but I am also auditioning for IU.

Since I am not from anywhere near IU, I really haven't seen the dancers and I have no clue what kind of dancers they accept. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what the people at IU are looking for in terms of body-type (if any), technique, etc- I am really nervous about the audition!

thanks so much for anyone who can help!

Guest FiveFTwo

I got into Hartt School for 2005 also! I am auditioning for Butler in 2 weeks so I am very nervous. You asked about the Hartt School and Indiana, well Indiana is one of the top colleges for ballet so I have a feeling the audition will be tough. Im still not sure if Im going to take the time to fly there 2 weekends in a row because I've heard they are for Balanchine, tall dancers..which i am not. I felt that i really fit in with the dancers at Hartt School because there was a variety of body types and dancers and i thought that, after seeing 3 different performances from them, that their dancers were very strong.

CKdance3

heyyy did you go to the first audition on december 4th??? im trying whether or not to audition for butler.... but i dont think their program is as well suited for me as indianna would be, and like you, i have a problem flying out for more than one weekend.

Guest FiveFTwo

CKdance3,

Yes i went to the Dec.4 audition and got a scholarship as well. i was the short one haha...i.e. myusername five foot two...are u considering Hartt??

Edited by FiveFTwo

CKdance3
CKdance3,

Yes i went to the Dec.4 audition and got a scholarship as well. i was the short one haha...i.e. myusername five foot two...are u considering Hartt??

haha that was my audition too...but i dont remember anyone being really short (but hey im pretty short too!!)...but yeah I think I will go there if I do not get into Indiana... I really liked the enviornment. Everybody seemed really nice and happy, and I liked Hilda a lot!

Guest FiveFTwo

were you at the master class with hilda there too before the audition? im trying to figure out who u are! heh maybe we can exchange sns and just talk on AIM?

CKdance3
were you at the master class with hilda there too before the audition? im trying to figure out who u are! heh maybe we can exchange sns and just talk on AIM?

sure fiveftwo my sn is caitlinkelly811.

msfifiroxsox

I am so glad someone brought this up. :shhh: I'm a student at the Hartt Community Division's Dance Department in the Intensive Program. The program used to be recognized more so when it was the School of the Hartford Ballet and School of Dance Connecticut. HB suffered a great loss when they got rid of Kirk Petersen, then Dance Connecticut never really made it. So when DC went bankrupt, someone contacted Hartt and Michael Yaffe accepted the school under it's community division. It goes unrecognized now because everyone used to be so familiar with Hartford Ballet and Dance Connecticut, and now it's part of Hartt. Now that I have that covered, there is a general program and an intensive program. The general program is for anyone who likes to dance for recreational purposes, or wants to fit in more classes to their schedule. The intensive program is definatley geared towards getting the dancer set up for a career in ballet. The levels are A-F, A being lowest F being highest. I'm in E, and this year we are combined with F because of how few students there are in these top two levels. We dance 6 days a week, Monday through Saturday. Everyday but Wednesday this year we will have ballet technique, Wednesdays are going to be modern and modern rep days. In addition to this, we have pointe, variations, parterning and character. Because there are no guys at our school, there are always a few college dance-major students from the University of Hartford willing to help us out in partnering. Two of them even performed with us at our Spring Festival this past June. The method focused on at Hartt is Cecchetti. For faculty we have Susan Brooker [ballet, pointe], Peter O'Brien [ballet, pointe, variations, partnering], Alla Nikitina [character] and Katie Stevenson-Nollet [modern]. Students of our school have gone on to dance with The Royal Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, the Joffrey's Trainee program, among others. Students have been accepted to summer programs such as BalletMet, PBT, Festival Ballet Providence, VSA, Point Park, Nashville Ballet, Joffrey NYC [trainee], Boston Ballet, The Rock School and CPYB. Each year we get the opporotunity to go to the Regional or National High School Dance Festival. It's on a first come first serve basis, and the senior performance ensemble gets to perform there. We also get many scholarships for summer programs and college programs from there as well. Since last year was our first as being under Hartt, there were not many performances. This year we will be doing The Nutcracker with Nutmeg Ballet, our Spring Festival, performances at the Lincoln and Millard auditoriums on the University of Hartford campus, and participating in Fortissimo, the community divison's celebration in May.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

-Liz

Edited by msfifiroxsox

Mel Johnson

I'm glad that somebody from inside described all the mayhem from the demise of HB and DC. It was a gut-shot to hear that happen, and there are still echoes in the community and metro area. (I used to teach in Newington) Is Hilda Morales still with the school? She was always excellent.

msfifiroxsox

Yes, Hilda is still with the school. She teaches the college students. But sometimes we have her if a teacher is absent though.

-Liz

msfifiroxsox

One needs to audition in a placement class to be placed in the appropriate level, and trust me they are placed in the level they should be in. Alla still has her studio in West Hartford and she teaches character at Hartt. I am not sure if she teaches Vaganova or not, but I'm sure it's closely related to it. what do you mean by how many years of ballet do we have? I believe we've all been studying from a young age, between 3 and 5 at least.

-Liz

Amy Reusch
Students of our school have gone on to dance with The Royal Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, the Joffrey's Trainee program, among others.

Regarding The Royal Ballet & ABT placements, have these happened since Hartt took over or are these those students who came up through the school of Hartford Ballet?