Ballet Talk for Dancers

flexibility tips

Guest futuregelseystar

Guest futuregelseystar

i have very long legs and i continue to watch so many people much more flexible than me. i have heard people say to stretch at home, but (a) i don't have time and (B) there isn't much room at my house. i feel pressure since i have long legs to have an amazing extension and be able to amazing split leaps. i find that i can barely do those. i am just wondering how to improve on those......i suppose the answer would be to just stretch more and more when you can...but are there any other tips to help me with my dilemma?!

:thumbsup::):unsure::wacko::D

• Administrators

No, not really. In terms of time, one makes time for things that are priorities. :thumbsup: If you know how and when to stretch, that is what you have to do. Do not do stretches you don't know how to do properly, and don't do flexibility stretches when you are not warmed up. As far as space at home, furniture does usually move, with a bit of effort. :) If one wants something badly enough, one usually finds a way to work at getting it!

Guest afroballet01

This is just me but: I am not flexible either,so I decided using the 100 day practique found at http://www.blue-diamond-dance.com/pratique.htm to stretch/practice ballet for those 100 days to see what happens.So far it has been about 3 weeks of this and I almost have my right split.I have decided to use a reward system:After 25 days I will buy myself a present (something I have wanted,but don't need like a subscription to Pointe,or a pair of legwarmers),after 50 I will buy myself something a little bigger (like a ballet video),and after the full 100 something even bigger (like a really nice leotard).

If you can stay at the studio for a few minutes after class you could do some stretching there for like 5 minutes or so. Or even warm up a bit by doing a little walking and get to your school a bit earlier and do some stretching before classes. Some teachers do give a little stretching time after barre and make use of this if you get it, don't just stand there and talk. :)

futuregelseystar-

1st let me say i love your user name :wink: i love gelsey. i was just going to say i feel the same way because i have long legs and a good body so it feels like i should have a ton of natural flexibility etc. but i dont. its gotten sooooooooo much better over the past year and now everyone thinks im naturally flexible so its kinda funny. but stretching everyday a lot helps but since you dont have a lot of time i guess just do it when you can...but trust me if you want it and are willing to work for it it will get better even if it doesnt seem like it...i thought i would never do a middle split and now i can so just work as hard as you can on it and dont get depressed over it (like i do :) ) good luck!!!

~littlegelsey :wink:

Just make stretching part of your daily routine.....just like I'm sure you always do your hair or brush your teeth, eat a meal e.t.c. But do be thourougly warmed up first. And it'll become a habbit then, and results will follow. (I've found there is always just 5 more minutes in a day; my teacher told us that you can snatch minutes by cutting off how long you spend on the computer by a couple of minutes.....anywhere in the day).

I know you are busy, I am also very busy but I make time for stretching. I get up 20 minutes earlier in the morning to do a full stretching routine before I leave the house for class. If you really want to improve you'll find the time somewhere! I don't even think about it anymore, it's just a normal part of my day! By the way...It sure helps!! :shhh:

Ok, first the space in your house issue. Who says that you need to stretch in your house? You could always arrive at class a little earlier and stretch there, or if you are adamant on stretching at home, you can choose stretches that dont require a lot of space. :wub: On the time issue, what I do sometimes, and is particularly helpful is this. I come home right after dance, so that I am still warm. Then, while I do my home work, I sit in a split, or someother stretching position, that way, I can kill two birds with one stone! :D

Actually, the best time to stretch is after class, because you are completely warm. I don't know if you have class everyday, but after each class, find an empty studio, hallway, lobby or even dressing room that you can stretch in. Even if it is for 5 minutes once or twice a day.

For me, after each class I stretch and write down my corrections from class in a notebook at the same time. :wub:

I stretch every evening while watching telly. I just tried different stretches my teacher showed me in class and I quickly found out which were good for me and which were not good for me. Now I have a good routin that covers everything I need for ballet. I do it every evening I don't have class (we stretch enough in class) and I give myself an evening I don't stretch (I found out, that it was better for me to give my body a break once a week)

I also like stretching while work (oh well, in the breaks of course) It is a good thing to relaxe and I can work against back aches from long sitting. Afterwards I always feel much better and fresh to re-start my work.

Stretching after class is good, since you are warmed up properly and you might ask your teacher if you are doing the stretches correctly.

I also like the idea of stretching while doing homework. You don't have to stretch strongly, just holding a stretch slightly. It is enough and you don't risk injuries.

• 2 months later...

I sit in the middle splits when I put my hair in a bun. You can also strech when you sew your shoes, right split for right shoe, left for left.

• Administrators

Assuming, of course, that you are already warmed up when you are doing your hair and sewing your shoes. :rolleyes: