Ballet Talk for Dancers
hkLola

Ballet Schools- Idyllwild Arts Academy

hkLola

I have been unable to find much information on this school. I'm getting ready to fill out the application form (it'll be available in September) and the financial aid applications. I'm also scheduling a date for the testing (SSAT) and an audition. So if anyone has any information, good or bad, on their dance program it'd be greatly appreciated.

Things I'd like to know specifically about the dance program:

Do they dance at least 5 hours per day?

Are there pointe classes offered daily?

Are the teachers friendly and supportive?

Are there many performance opportunities?

Questions in general:

How much of the day is spent schooling?

Do many students get financial aid?

Do they allow computers, internet, and cable in the dorms?

If you hate your roommate are you able to request a switch?

Do they offer an organic vegetarian menu?

Also, what is the audition process like? What goes on in the audition?

Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

Victoria Leigh

I don't remember seeing any information here on this program, hk. Perhaps we don't have any members who have attended there, but I don't know. I just looked at the website, and my question would have to be how much ballet is available, as there is only one teacher of ballet listed on the faculty bios section. The website really does not give one much information about their program at all.

hkLola

I think that's odd seeing as they are one of the few residential programs with dance.

I found this information and am wondering if someone can confirm this for me. Thanks.

7) Idyllwild

*5 levels of ballet

*other than ballet they offer pointe, character, modern, jazz, pdd, and tap

*60% of males and females who apply are admitted (competitive)

*the audition consists of ballet, pdd, pointe, and a solo

*you go to academic classes from 7:30-12:25, then dance classes from 12:30 into the evening

*you attend academic classes at Idyllwild

*3 studios (28'x42')(36'x44')(36'x50')

Victoria Leigh

Evidently this program is not high on the list of those known for ballet. I didn't even know about it. And it concerns me that only one faculty member in ballet is listed.

The major residence programs for ballet are (in no particular order): Universal Ballet Academy (DC), Harid (FL), Walnut Hill (MA), NCSA (NC), Rock (PA), SFB (CA), Nutmeg (CT), and Nat'l. Ballet of Canada.

Shadow

Hi Ms. Leigh :D Please note that the resident program for SFBS is for ages 16 (aprox) and up only. Other than that, we are DRY out here on the west coast for great residential schools that focus on ballet. :(

I believe that Idyllwild does offer ballet, but has a focus on modern and performing arts in general. Also, they do advertise frequently in the major dance magazines. Here is an interesting link for more info:

Idyllwild Review

Victoria Leigh

Thanks, Shadow.

hkLola

They only offer 3-4 hours per day when it comes to dance and I can dance near that at home. I emailed and asked. So I guess I will be only auditioning for RWB. I don't really want to do competitive programs for year round since I started late and am only at intermediate, not advanced, thats why Idyllwild was my first choice but 33k a year isn't worth it for 3-4 hours of ballet per day I don't think. I will only be doing RWB I guess unless someone can give me information on schools that aren't so competitive.

pj

hkLola,

I think you were wise in the decision to find something other than Idyllwild. I live relatively close to the school, so I have some VERY LIMITED knowledge. For some reason for the past few years, I have received their summer program brochure. I have always been leary of the program because I do not recognize any of the names of dance teachers who are on the list for summer programs.

I have seen some of their music students perform; they are exceptional and well trained musicians. I have also seen some of the dance students perform; while they are good (not great) dancers who have nice performance qualities, I have never seen any good BALLET dancers.

hkLola

I guess I'll be staying in Omaha then unless RWB accepts me. I have been unable to find another school that won't say no cause I'm not advanced yet (started late). I would go to Idyllwild regardless if they had more than 2 dance classes a day but the 34k isn't worth it. I can take 2 classes a day for like 1200$ per year here, I dunno. Maybe I'm just overall screwed for high school.

hkLola

I have found out it is a possibility to move regardless of residency program. Yay! So I am now looking into other full time schools but still RWB is the top choice for me.