Ballet Talk for Dancers
Kendra

Pointe in Toronto?

Kendra

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew of any beginner adult pointe classes in the Toronto area. I've been looking for something of the sort for a few years now, but I can't seem to find any adult pointe beyond "some people do the classes on pointe" (and given that I have no real training in pointe, I'd rather not dive into doing regular classes that way just yet!)

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

As a secondary questions, does anyone have any advice on good places to take adult ballet classes (pointe or not) in Toronto, other than at the National Ballet School? I underestimated how fast those classes could fill up, and I don't want to wait another 4 months to dance!

Thanks! :)

Gracey

I don't know anything about adult pointe classes - there are probably not that many.

U of T had ( don't know if they still do have it) a fairly good ballet program which is for adults ( you don't have to be a part of the university..I believe it was RAD based.

Academy of Ballet and Jazz ( if you don't mind the hike up to north york) has an adult ballet class based on the russian method...no pointe though

The other smaller boutique schools may have some if you call them up and the Ontario Ballet School on St. Clair may have some...

oh - you know you can also try Jorgen - which is affliated with George brown ( again I don't think you need to be a student) to see if they have adult classes.

i am not a big fan of the other smaller schools like interplay etc, but there are some excellent classes at NBoC each evening - pay as you go - at Danceteq

hope that helps

Marga
Academy of Ballet and Jazz ( if you don't mind the hike up to north york) has an adult ballet class based on the russian method...no pointe though

The Academy of Ballet and Jazz has had adults take beginner pointe in years past. They join the teenage students in their beginning or second year pointe classes (depending on ability). If you're interested in doing it this way, phone them at (905) 886-0455. It's a great place to take regular ballet classes, as well!

tigger

hi Kendra and welcome to ballet alert! (I'm sure the official welcome team will chime in soon :) )

I will second the recommendation for danceteq:here's the website which is a terrific place to take class at any level. Melissa explains the combinations very clearly and in detail, and Lourdes pushes her students to have flawless technique. It's great as either a regular place to take class, or to take a few while you're waiting to get in to the official nbs adult classes. I've never taken those classes at nbs but I've heard mixed reviews about them--not about the teaching, which is pretty solid, but the atmosphere.

When danceteq closes for holidays, I sometimes take class at metro movement (I think the website is http://www.metromovement.com ). There are not as many ballet classes there, Saturday morning and maybe two or three other days, as it is more jazz focussed.

I actually started out at the U of T program (at the athletic centre; there is also a different teacher at hart house) which I would not recommend for beginners at all. In my first class I was introduced to pliés, tendus, and pas de chat etc which was too fast... there were people with 0-3 years' experience in the same class. Plus the classes are too big for individual attention. Hart house has smaller classes and a smaller variation in level within a class, but I'm not sure if it's that much better.

Danceteq did have pointe classes over the summer but not any more. The Thursday evening class is supposed to be pointe-friendly. The regular teacher is the same one who's been teaching the pointe classes, so it shouldn't be too bad if you want to just dive in. You could also try taking a few private lessons to prepare for pointe before taking a full class. good luck!

anka

Danceteq's new website is here: http://www.danceteq.com

You can wear pointe shoes in all the classes, but it is not taught explicitly. They did have a pointe class this summer for two months, and I'm hoping they'll do it again this year. I found the classes more advanced than described. For example, "Beginner" is slightly harder than that...more like lower intermediate. The Intermediate classes have ex-pros. Not sure who takes the advanced classes, as I've never been there at the right time to watch them. I do like Danceteq, however I find the classes more traditional at the National Ballet School: http://www.nbs-enb.ca

Danceteq is pay-as-you-go, and the NBS is pay-per-term. My technique has improved greatly from the NBS classes - Elizabeth Leyds is a great teacher...she doesn't let anything get by, and I love that!!

:)

colas

I checked the website yesterday. They list a pointe class on Monday evenings. I plan to take it when I visit Toronto next month. A friend who is a modern dancer in Toronto recommended Danceteq to me for drop-in ballet classes for the few days when I'll be in Toronto.

Edited by Victoria Leigh
Remove previous quote.

AerBear

Colas - I currently attend classes at Danceteq - albeit, I've been off for 2 weeks. I will also be taking the pointe class on Monday night (Starts Next Monday - June 1). The teacher is wonderful and I've never had any concerns with the atmosphere. The only thing to be aware of is that the classes are usually more advanced than their titles.

Hope you enjoy it! :yucky:

colas

I was not able to take pointe.

I took an intermediate ballet class on Friday, June 13, 2009. It was good. I then took ballet advanced at MetroDance at Broadview metro. Fabro taught fine classes. I liked them a lot.

jenj

I'm currently taking an adult beginner pointe class at a fantastic studio in Kitchener -- In.Motion School (website is http://www.inmotionschool.com/.) It's on Tuesdays at 7:00 and is followed by an intermediate adult ballet class.

This is probably too far from Toronto, but I thought I would mention it for others who happen to read this thread. (I know when I was trying to find a pointe class I seriously considered driving to Toronto once a week!)