Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
eunheejun

I had my first class in a long time too!

eunheejun

Hi all,

I am a 27 year old grad student starting ballet in 11 years!

Since I hadn't take any dance classes for the past one decade, this class felt a lot harder than when I was younger. I found that sadly, I lost all my flexibility and strength, but since this is for fun, I am going to just enjoy the class and do stretches and practices at home to catch up. I have also found out that my teacher had been a principal dancer with a big ballet company until a year ago. Isn't this lucky?

Have a great day, ballet lovers!

Eun Hee

Claude_Catastrophique

You are very lucky.

I am sure you will have your old shape back in no time.

Guest plain-dancer

Eun Hee, how exciting for you! How many classes a week will you be taking? I'm sure it'll take a while for things to feel "normal" again, but you're lucky to have some previous training to fall back on, even if it's 11 years old! Keep us updated - I love to read stories about late beginners.

eunheejun

My class is just once a week. But if I wanted to, I could take class twice a week (and here comes a surprise!) for $170 for the whole school semester (the dance studio belongs to the university I attend and students get discounts!). Twice a week though is not so compatible with a grad student life :-)

The teacher is a registered Royal Academy of Dance teacher. He is now in London because one of his students is participating in the Genee international ballet competition. I guess I got sooo lucky (moneywise, teacher credentialwise)

I will keep you posted on my progress!

Eun Hee

Guest plain-dancer

That is a good deal!

I work at a university and am in awe of the grad students! They are so busy, often carrying a teaching load as well as their own classwork and dissertation worries! Attending ballet class on top of all that is quite a feat and something to be proud of! (so many exclamation points from me tonight. :wink: )

Hopefully your class will be a blace to escape from the stress of it all. It's good to meet you. :wacko: