Ballet Talk for Dancers

Joffrey Ballet School NYC

There is an audition/placement class at the beginning of the academic year and the Jr Trainee program is the highest level of student training which takes place after school hours. Students live at home (NY,NJ) and attend their own highschool (often a performing arts h.s). The trainee program takes place during the day (during school hours) and was originally geared toward post-secondary students/out of high school. The program has also shifted to include h.s. level students who are home schooled or go to school on line. If a student wants to remain in a traditional h.s. setting, they must attend at the Jr.Trainee level. Both are pre-professional programs.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vrsfanatic

• BA2's Mom

• lalalaEY

• edgart6

We are looking for a school with residence programs. According to this school website, they have great ballet faculty. Since the information posted here is kind of outdated, few questions arise. How much does Mrs. Kirkland actually teach and involved with this school? Who are primary teachers for trainee program? Is Mrs. Kolpakova teaching at all? Where are the graduates of the last few years? Thank you very much for your help!

Gelsey Kirkland and The Joffrey Ballet School are no longer associated from what I have heard. Ms. Kirkland will be working at her own academy and will have no more affiliation with the JBS as of the coming fall season. Davis Robertson is the new Director of the ballet program, that I DO know for fact.

I work in the Adult Classes office of the school and haven't heard anything official, however have heard some students and teachers speaking about it. I'm going in tonight for class, so perhaps I can find out some more information.

~richrat87

• 8 months later...

We are wondering about the trainee program for post-highschool students. What is the quality of training students are receiving now? Is the program well organized and disciplined? Do students generally finish all four years? Where do they go on to? Is it money well-spent? Thank you for any information you can provide. We are a bit concerned with the comment the Joffrey Chicago puts on their web site disclaiming any association with the NY school or any other "Joffrey" program not in Chicago. Is the NY Joffrey still the same quality as before the company was moved to Chicago?

Same question as Nano. My DS was accepted into the J&C Trainee program and we don't know enough about it to make an informed decision. He is currently a Dance Major at The Hartt School. Would this trainee program be something he should consider transferring out of Hartt for? Any info would help!

• 5 months later...

Looking for ANY first hand experience or possibly not far removed information on the ballet trainee program!

Hi Sproogie. Our daughter is starting on the Ballet Trainee program next month. I have been very fortunate to have made contact with a wonderful lady who has a daughter going into the second year of the program. She has given us so much helpful information and speaks very highly of it all. Do you have a child who is interested?

Welcome, Sproogie! We have a dedicated thread for the Joffrey Ballet SchoolNYC Trainee program in the Trainee, Apprentice, Second Company Forum. The dedicated thread for the Joffrey Ballet School NYC Trainee program is here: http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=38198&hl

Please do contine the conversation about the Trainee program on that thread. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

We just found out the Joffrey Ballet School is coming to my country to audition kids. Can anybody tell me about the school. It doesn't say the min ages to audition so if anybody knows anything about the audition process could they share please? Also do they have a certain body type they like?

For the pre-professional trainee program? I don't think so although I haven't seen anyone younger than maybe 14.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

My 15 year old daughter has been offered a place at the above school. As we live the other side of the world, we have many concerns but would like to get some personal perspective from others that as gone through the process.

• 1 year later...

Joffrey Ballet School NYC offers merit scholarship and they post them on the audition page with the names and how much each child was offered. If your DD or DS were accepted into Joffrey's year round trainee program, financial aid is available via FAFSA for year round students. My daughter has attended Joffrey, ABT NYC in addition to acceptances at major ballet companies SI's. I am a single mom, we have to go where it fits us. If your DD/DS is focused, motivated, committed and ready to work, it is noticed. What you get out of each SI is what you put into it.

Joffrey NYC has been very good to us. She loves the instructors she meets and the performance track performance is FANTASTIC and entertaining!!!