Ballet Talk for Dancers

dancingjet

In case anyone was reading about meal plans, I thought I'd share an update. DD got advice from older dancers over the summer to go with the fewest meals, so that's the plan she chose. She never gets back to the dorms for lunch. I think she occasionally does a takeaway meal at breakfast for lunch but mostly eats at the union or brings along her own small lunch. She usually eats dinner back at the dorms. She has been shopping at Smiths and Trader Joes on the weekends so that she has some simple and healthy options in her room (hot water kettle and frig, but no microwave). Rehearsals for the fall performances were done by 6:30pm, but for the past couple of weeks they've run later and she had to be available on campus until 8:30pm. I think it's because they had a guest in residence to set the February choreography (Tauna Hunter was in to set La Fille Mal Gardee). Those late nights made it tougher to go to the dining hall. Even if she could technically get there, psychologically she was just done for the day and ready to go to her room, having started the day on campus at 8am. 

She's almost through her first semester and very happy with her choice to attend school at Utah. She feels she's getting helpful corrections and attention and that her teachers are genuinely invested in helping her improve. She knew she wasn't company-ready when she left her home program but feels she's getting the additional training now that she needed. And, she just really likes most of the people she's working with (dancers and teachers).

whippet2me

Thank You Dancingjet for the class size update as well as meal plan and day in the life sharing!😊

tprice

I just spoke to someone in the department to find out what the general schedule for audition day is. I'm glad I called, it completely changes our plan. I'm posting this in case it's helpful to anyone else.

Audition day: 8am check in; 9am audition followed by small group interview/Q&A session. There is an optional master class at noon; if you are interested, register online in advance.

If you happen to be there the day before (this is what changed our plan): 9am building tour. After that you are welcome to observe class. You can also schedule a campus tour in the afternoon, but undoubtedly the calendar doesn't go out that far so you can't really schedule that right now.

There is also a performance that you can attend. Tickets are complimentary (at least for the student). You can go Friday night, Saturday afternoon or Saturday night. Just pick up the tickets at the comp. ticket table 30 before the show.  

sheahuang

That seems correct. I would highly recommend attending the show to get a flavor of breadth of choreography and such. We attended right after the audition and the day was over by 330pm. I did not have to pay for a ticket to attend with my DS.

dancingjet

I would also encourage you to see the show, and I believe that my daughter and I both got free tickets when she auditioned. When we watched the fall performance last year, I left kind of scratching my head and wondering if this was going to be a good fit for my daughter (mainly based on a guest choreographer's piece which was very far from classical ballet!). Had I seen this fall's performance I would have felt more assured that it was a good possible program for her. In February they're doing La Fille Mal Gardee. I'm not sure how many seniors participate, given they may also be preparing to audition for jobs and such. I do know a fair number of freshmen and sophomores are in it. Susan Jaffe taught the master class last fall and DD thoroughly enjoyed that. We did not do the tour last year, but my daughter visited another time and toured then. She also observed classes at that time. Her second visit and doing a lot more research on the school helped her make up her mind about attending.