Ballet Talk for Dancers

Another option for an incoming (or current) student is to take the entire Ballet West SI and sign up to receive university credit.

I read something about this on the BW website, but wasn't sure how to interpret it. Do you have to apply and be accepted to the University to do this, or is this available to the SI students who aren't attending the University?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancingjet

• Twinkle Mom

• Lady Elle

• Kellinger

The dancer needs to have been accepted to the university before the dancer can receive university credit for the SI. So if the dancer is an incoming fresh year for the fall then the dancer can receive credit for attending the SI in technique and pointe. I believe the dancer can also receive credit in partnering as well. Unfortunately, no credit is available for modern or jazz taken during the SI.

When an incoming first year to the ballet dept is accepted, the dancer is automatically accepted to the BW SI (or at least that was the case in the past). Dancer just needs to contact BW and let them know dancer is an incoming first year or a transfer student.

As far as I know Cakers, it is only for incoming/attending University students.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone tell me how many typically audition and how many Utah accepts generally? Two dancers from DD school got accepted from the last audition. DD auditioning at the next date.

Does anyone know about the modern program at Utah? DD is auditioning in January and we don't know much about the audition or the modern program, other than what is on the website. Are the ballet and modern programs integrated at all? Curious if the modern program includes ballet and jazz as well. It sounds like the ballet program has undergone many changes. Wondering if the modern program has been subject to this as well. Thanks

According to UT rep, 45/60 are accepted, although it is still considered more competitive than OK with a 35% acceptance rate & UAZ

Does anyone know about the modern program at Utah? DD is auditioning in January and we don't know much about the audition or the modern program, other than what is on the website. Are the ballet and modern programs integrated at all? Curious if the modern program includes ballet and jazz as well. It sounds like the ballet program has undergone many changes. Wondering if the modern program has been subject to this as well. Thanks

I don't know a whole lot, but the modern department has its own ballet classes. Jazz classes are offered through the ballet department. The modern department has not been subject to all of the changes the ballet department has suffered over the past two plus years. The two departments share a building and share an administrative officer, but are otherwise completely separate.

Can someone tell me how many typically audition and how many Utah accepts generally? Two dancers from DD school got accepted from the last audition. DD auditioning at the next date.

There are generally fewer students at the fall audition. The spring audition is usually full at 75 spots. Utah also accepts video auditions. We were told there were ~10-12 the year DD auditioned, but there could be more now. There is not a set number of students accepted to the ballet program.

I called Utah a month or two ago & asked what the acceptance rate looks like, & they said about 60 people audition, & 45 are accepted. [. . . ]

Edited by dancemaven
Removed second-hand information per BR4D policy.

Keep in mind that not everyone who is accepted decides to attend so the acceptance rate will be higher than the number of who decide to attend.

I was previously told that there is a correlation between the number of graduating students from the department and the actual number of incoming first years. How much truth there is to this I am not sure. But since the information came from someone inside the dept, I tend to give it some credence. I haven't heard how many Seniors there are this year yet but in years past the number of graduating and the number of incoming first years are fairly close. I do know that a dancer who entered with both mine and Twinkle Mom's dancers will be graduating this year - I thought she was graduating in December but she is shown in the cast list for the Spring performance of Coppelia so obviously she will graduate in the Spring. Last year was probably the biggest spread with 27 Seniors and 38 first years (if my numbers are wrong, I apologize).

Like Twinkle Mom stated, there is no integration of the two depts. However, there is currently one of the Ballet teachers from the Modern Dept is currently teaching in both the Modern and Ballet depts. She also teaches during the BW SI. One of the Modern dancers did perform in the Ballet Fall Showcase and a Ballet dancer just performed two weekends ago in the Modern dept's fall student performance. But this is not a common occurrence - both performances were students choreographing on other students so that is why and how that occurred. DD's best friend and last yr's roommate is a Modern major, I can ask her questions and/or try and put you in touch with her.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone has had experience auditioning for the ballet program at U of U by attending a Ballet West SI audition rather than the specific U of U one in Utah? I plan on doing the former in a few weeks and was just wondering if anyone could talk about how that works briefly?

I do not have any experience with this, but I see there has been no other response in 24 hours, so I would suggest you call or e-mail Glenda Staples in the Department of Ballet and ask her. She is very nice about providing information.

glenda.staples@utah.edu 801-585-5527