Ballet Talk for Dancers

lizzyhults1

Amie,  Congrats! I wish we were to that point. Has anyone heard anything regarding dance scholarships

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancingjet

• Twinkle Mom

• Lady Elle

• Kellinger

Nothing here, lizzyhults1. We are waiting to hear from three schools still regarding possible dance scholarships. 

lizzyhults1

Received a financial aid award package today for our DD. She unfortunately did not receive anything. I am thankful they offer the residency option if she chooses this program. 

lizzyhults1- I wouldn't discount dance dept awards yet- their scholarships came separately and much later and usually from private sources- first week of April is what we experienced

lizzyhults1

Sheahuang, ,Thanks for the information. I just assume that when it said scholarship and financial aid that is it.

lizzyhults, we're still hoping here to hear about a dance department scholarship, and from what I can tell, those wouldn't have been included in the financial award packages that were recently sent out. I do wonder what the dance scholarships entail, particularly for female dancers. Is it only a couple, but they're decent-sized merit awards? Or maybe they're smaller but sent to half the incoming class? I have no idea. That was actually what I had asked in my post above, but I realize that it's likely that no one here is going to have firsthand information like that to share. I also always assume that boys are more likely to receive scholarships, and more generous ones at that, based on DD"s summer experiences. When the ratio of female auditionees to male is in the neighborhood of 30:5 it's clear that the men are going to be in demand. Maybe female dancers who have received departmental scholarships could share here?

millvillemurphs

My DD only received an academic scholarship, so I’m not much help. I am curious about the dance scholarships as well.

Twinkle Mom

Things may have changed, but at the time DD was attending the U, the dance scholarships for women were small and not likely to make an big impact on the cost of attending the U, although I do realize that every little bit helps.  (For example, one year the fee for the 4590 technique class was $276 per semester, and DD's award covered this with just a little left over.) The names (of the scholarships--the recipients were required to write thank-you notes to the donors) and amounts were available somewhere on the dance department website.   There was one (at that time) which was designated for a male only and it was for $1000 per semester.  None of the others (which were not gender-specified) were close to that amount.

Oh--and DD did not find out about the dance scholarship until after the placement class her freshman year.

Thank you, Twinkle Mom. BFA acceptance letters stated that departmental scholarships would be decided once all auditions had concluded, which made me think that they'd be coming out relatively soon. I've looked on the website but can't find much about dance scholarships, other than they exist and that dancers had to write an essay to be considered (which DD did).

Twinkle Mom

Then it sounds as though things have changed.  DD didn't have to write an essay, nor did she even apply that first year.  (She did in subsequent years, but it was a short application.)  So I hope that things have changed for the better and that the awards are larger.

We are planning on flying out for accepted students day in mid-April. My DD is hoping to meet other dancers that currently attend or are incoming freshmen. She has met other (major) incoming freshmen through the facebook page but is excited to meet other dancers. I will email the dance dept to see if she can see the dance building on Friday or Saturday of that week. Do any current DK’s take open classes at Ballet West or Salt Lake City Ballet? My DD likes the possibility of that.

lizzyhults1

Our DD received an email yesterday with scholarship information for University of Utah. She has to accept it by March 3/23 so it is crunch time for decisions, at least that one. Wish we had all the other information

Congrats lizzyhults1!  So happy your patience has paid off.  Also, you may be able to ask for an extension on the scholarship decision.  DD was offered a scholarship with a deadline at another university and was able to get an extension while she did some more research into the university.  The dance dept head also put her in touch with current dance students and an honors college counselor to help DD.  Not sure if Utah will give an extension, but it doesn't hurt to ask if your DD hasn't decided yet.  Or it could spur on that decision!  :D

millvillemurphs

Ksullyy, my DD does take occasional open classes at BW - Saturday mornings if she's not feeling too overloaded from the prior week, and some of the weekday classes offered at the Trolley location during breaks/summer.