Ballet Talk for Dancers

pasdechatchat

Twinkle Mom and moasg,

Thank you for your quick answers.

Both of your information help me so much!

Now I see that the notification of the decision will be sent to all applicants

by mail(USPS), and normally it will take 2 wks after the audition(especially

it might be longer in the case of DVD audition).

DD and I need to have the patience to wait.

Thank you again!!

By the way, How many applicants were there at Feb 12 audition, moasg?

The acceptance to U of U Ballet must be very competitive.

I just leave it to chance...

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancingjet

• Twinkle Mom

• Lady Elle

• Kellinger

Pasdechatchat: My DD estimated around 70 at the 2/12 audition. We were impressed with the facilities, and it does look to be a very competitive program, as regards admission. Hard to wait for news, for sure!

My daughter is a freshman in the ballet program at the University of Utah and is very happy there. I thought I would write to give you an idea of their schedule as there seems to be some misinformation in some of the posts. Dd takes all of her academic classes in the morning. The first semester these included a music theory class for ballet majors and a health class for ballet majors. She also had two academic classes outside of the department. Her dance classes are in the afternoon. She has a 2 hour technique class every day followed by point class on MWF. On TTH technique is followed by character. Second semester the freshmen continue with their music theory class. They also participate in a choreography class in which older students choreograph on them.

My dd is not yet in Utah ballet but has appeared in three performances so far this school year. She did a halloween show with the university symphony, appeared in a student choreographed showcase and performed in two pieces for the faculty choreographed Ballet Ensemble concert. Both the showcase and ensemble were presented 4 times over the course of their performance weekends. When preparing for these performances, she has had rehearsal as much as 5 nights a week. In addition to these opportunities, she also takes open classes at Ballet West 2 times a week. It is easily accessible by the light rail.

I think what I am trying to say is that there is plenty of quality dancing to be had in this program. You do have to stay on top of the opportunities, though. Go to auditions, say yes to everything and meet people within the department who are motivated to create and perform and you will be a very busy dancer.

timedancingby

Yappincairn, Thanks for giving a freshman experience!

I've deleted my previous post, since I might have been breaking the rules in writing about what was told to me at the audition by the dancers that were made available to parents to answer questions.

It wasn't anything negative about the program, but had information that didn't reflect the current experiences of the freshman dancers, so there was no reason to leave the post intact.

Utah is a great program, we didn't speak to anyone that wasn't happy there.

Yappingcairn,

Yes, thank you for some great information!

Timedancing by,

I believe that we were told that the 'U card' carries a chip in it which enables University of Utah students to ride the TRAX (light rail) system free.

timedancingby

Thanks Twinkle Mom! I loved the rail system! It makes the city so accessible. That would be wonderful if went all the way to the airport!

Congratulations on your dd's acceptance moasg!

LaFilleSylphide

Timedancingby, there are a lot of other dance classes available for the freshman who want to supplement in SLC. Not only does Ballet West offer a variety of open classes that are drop in (for days she doesn't have too much schoolwork), but I believe those Saturday classes her peers are talking about are at Salt Lake City Ballet. The classes are open, but we consider them master classes (only for experienced dancers) and are taught by Regina Zarhina who is a current faculty member of University of Utah, and also by Misha Tchoupakov (who used to be a faculty member). The classes are now also available Wednesday evenings and are drop in at only $10 per class (or $80 for a 10 class card). Between Ballet West and Salt Lake City Ballet, she's bound to have as much dance training as she'd like in her freshman year - one of the perks is that all of this is in walking distance or rail distance from the University! SLC is very safe, very pretty, and has a lovely arts scene.

P.S. I'm gushing because I'm one of the directors of Salt Lake City Ballet, so of course we'd love to see your dance student visiting open classes at either school! Haha!

Dreambeliever

Thanks yappincairn and to everyone else is has been posting current information on this program!

Yppincairn did your dd attend the Ballet West summer intensive the summer before her freshman year to earn college credit? It seems like such a great opportunity and we are curious if many dancers take advantage of it.

I know that a previous poster said that many dancers live off campus but if my dd attends next fall we want her to spend her freshman year living on campus. Do you know if the dancers tend to live in one particular residence hall?

So happy to hear of the additional dance class opportunities in the area with BW and SLCB! Most of the college programs we have explored seem to have fewer dance hours per day than she currently takes as a high school student. However, until she is actually in the program, taking class, it is hard to tell if the college classes will be so much more challenging that it makes up for the lack of additional hours...

Thanks so much to everyone who has taken the time to post information about this program! It is so helpful!

Congratulations to everyone accepted for next year! I thought I'd follow up on some of the questions out there. The freshmen have to take 2 semesters of character dance. My dd really enjoys the teacher and is considering participating in character ensemble for next year. Participation in the student choreographed show is based somewhat on who you know or whether you sign up or say yes when a choreographer is looking for dancers. Auditions for Ensemble were held the Friday evening preceding Fall Break this year. That is something to be aware of because some dancers had booked flights home and could not stay for the audition.

My dd did not attend Ballet West the summer before her freshman year but does feel that the dancers who did benefited from knowing more teachers when they arrived for Fall Semester.

DD lives in the dorms. They are clean and her room is large. All of the dorms are located in the same area and the students that live on campus seem to form a close knit community. Everyone eats in the HC and while the food could be better, it is nice to have someone else responsible for making it at the end of a long day. The HC stays open fairly late, but if you miss dinner because of rehearsals, there is a convenience store also located in the HC where you can get things like easymac, fruit salad, milk and cereal, etc. Many meal plans come with a prepaid card that can be used for these purchases.

As far as size of the freshman class, I think they started out somewhere between 25 and 30. A few dancers have left due to preexisting injury or for personal reasons. A few dancers were moved to a different level after first semester and a few dancers were added second semester. The class now stands at 23 or so.

DancingGirl
Twinkle Mom and moasg,

Thank you for your quick answers.

Both of your information help me so much!

Now I see that the notification of the decision will be sent to all applicants

by mail(USPS), and normally it will take 2 wks after the audition(especially

it might be longer in the case of DVD audition).

DD and I need to have the patience to wait.

Thank you again!!

By the way, How many applicants were there at Feb 12 audition, moasg?

The acceptance to U of U Ballet must be very competitive.

I just leave it to chance...

audition results came in snail mail on 2/19