Ballet Talk for Dancers

BW
Does anyone know anything about Virginia Commonwealth Univ's dance program-whether it's stronger in ballet or modern?  One of my DD's SI instructors told her she should definitely look into the school.

crzctldt--

The program at VCU is focused much more on modern than ballet, but it is possible (if you are looking for a ballet-oriented program) to take ballet classes at The Richmond Ballet and recieve credit at VCU. You must be accepted into the Richmond Ballet apprentice program and then you spend half of the day there (i think). I am not sure of all of the details, but it is possible! The program on the VCU campus, however, like i said, offers much more modern.

e'smom

Apparently in the coming year the arrangement between Richmond Ballet and VCU will be formalized with a BFA program for Richmond trainees. I happened to see an audition brochure today for Richmond that mentioned it; you must attend one of the SI/trainee auditions at Richmond Ballet apparently for consideration. So far there is not much about it on the VCU web site so I'll post later if anything appears.

Meggy

Hi -- I know it's been a while, but does anyone have information on VCU's joint BFA with Richmond Ballet, or can anyone direct me to information? I've been combing the websites of both institutions, but can't seem to find any clear-cut "reviews" of the program. Thanks!

casserina

I live in Virginia and many dancers I know have gona to VCU but have not pursued a professional dancing career. Their focus is mainly modern with ballet coming secondary but I know their partnership with Richmond Ballet is new and I'm not sure how strong their program is. I know VCU also offers a lot of choreography and is also for teachers. I don't know anyone who majored in dance to go on and dance professionally.

twiga

FYI from the VCU website here is the info about the Richmond Ballet trainee & VCU combined program. NOte the "fine print" at the end that students in this joint program must pay for both VCU tuition and the trainee program - ouch.

VCU Dance offers a four-year degree track within the B.F.A. specifically designed for Richmond Ballet trainees. The two-year trainee program of the Richmond Ballet provides intensive study and opportunities to perform in concert with the Richmond Ballet Company. Within this degree track, Richmond Ballet trainees enroll as full-time VCU dance majors when they enroll in the Richmond Ballet Trainee Program. Students must pass auditions for both programs and meet VCU academic requirements for admission. Once admitted into this special program, students receive credit in the Department of Dance and Choreography for their pre-professional training at the Richmond Ballet while taking general education courses and modern dance technique at VCU. Upon completion of the two-year trainee program, those students who do not join the Richmond Ballet Company can become full-time dance majors at VCU, on track to finish a B.F.A. in Dance and Choreography in two more years. They then have the opportunity to continue to refine their dance performance skills at VCU while enjoying the range of educational opportunities offered by the university. This program also is designed to enable Richmond Ballet trainees to expand their potential through departmental course offerings such as improvisation, dance sciences, anatomy for dancers, dance history, music and dance forms, contact improvisation, teaching methods, dance management, video/choreography, lighting design and dance, and dance production.

Students in the track for Richmond Ballet trainees must pay tuition for both the VCU and the Richmond Ballet Trainee programs.

jessicanicole42191

I also wanted to add (if this is allowed) that dancers considering this joint program need to be aware that rehearsals may be scheduled at Richmond Ballet at the same time as you scheduled classes at VCU (in other words, the Richmond Ballet doesn't always work around the VCU schedule). I have seen many close friends stress out about this. This was a couple of years ago though, so things might have changed.

concerned parent

We are trying to decide whether to visit VCU this summer so I did some research on the program with the Richmond Ballet. It appears that in order to get into this joint program, one must first audition for and be accepted academically into VCU. Then, you need to audition for the Richmond Ballet Summer Program and be accepted into that. You must attend the Summer Program as that is where the trainees are picked from. The problem I see with this process is that at the time you would be making your decision on which college to attend (e.g. early spring of senior year), you would not know whether you would be picked as a Richmond trainee. Please correct me if the above info is wrong.

blueskies

Concerned parent - I wouldn't cross VCU off your list until you have spoken with those in charge of the trainee program at Richomnd Ballet. They are very helpful! :)

ayhawki

Any recent information about the program. What a great concept.

mamasokol

Anyone have any recent information on this program at VCU...especially the partnership with Richmond Ballet? DD is auditioning for the dance program tomorrow and we were hoping for some opinions...

ayhawki

Dd auditioned for both VCU dance and Richmond Ballet and was accepted to both. Audition was very organized. Several students from along the east coast. Audition had a couple of cuts, but they were straight forward. They have an open class on [F]ri that introduces students to different teachers and health topics for dancers. An Ailey teacher was there that [F]ri and the dk's were very impressed as well as the parents. Audition had a few cuts, but they seemed to handle those with diplomacy. Great campus and inner city vibe and we all felt very safe. Then we went to audition for RIchmond Ballet trainee program and was very impressed. It was a great option.

Edited by dancemaven
To include proper capitalization per BT4D policy.

mamasokol

For anyone else who may be auditioning to VCU and is interested in the partnership with Richmond Ballet. Make sure you tell them at check in you are interested in this program. They did an interview with my DD yesterday in addition to the audition. The audition consisted of a 45 minute ballet class, followed by actual cuts of a few dancers (which was sad for me to witness in the waiting area), followed by 45 minutes of modern and then 30 minutes of improve. After that there was a 30 minute break (which is when my DD was interviewed) and then the dancers performed their 90 second solo.

Seems like a nice program and the staff all seemed passionate about the program as well. DD will also have to audition with Richmond Ballet sometime in the spring (to be determined whenever they release their audition dates).

ayhawki...was you daughters acceptance into Richmond Ballet's trainee program conditional upon her attending their summer program?

ayhawki

Yes she was accepted to trainee and required to do summer intensive because if I remember correctly thats when they prepared for fall season. Our experience last year at VCU was the same except we auditioned at Richmond Ballet the same weekend because we were traveling a distance.

Our only concern at the time was you pay tuition to VCU as a fulltime student and Richmond Ballet. However with the trainee schedule it appeared to be impossibe to take anything other than part time schedule at VCU.

Good luck on your choice. Its an exciting time.

Amie

Any new information or experiences from this university?  DD really enjoyed her audition here. 

Tonia22

Hi Amie, I am not very familiar with the program but a good friend's daughter was just excepted on the team. It's modern/jazz. You could do a quick search for videos to see about them. Maybe youtube. Her daughter absolutely loves it. We have a VCU grad in the family, the school is really growing.