Ballet Talk for Dancers

RAD in London

Guest kella

Anyone done an adult course here? I've just signed up for the current one with Ms Berry. But I've never been before. I'd like to know a bit more about what it's like and any personal experiences..

:dizzy:

Don't know much about the adult course, I have only attended the vocational classes (intermed, adv 1)

I've gone to these classes and can really recommend them. They're well taught, and the class size is reasonable - 12 to 15 on an average evening. I've straddled the beginners and intermediate classes - I begin to struggle once we go to the centre in the intermediate classes. I've coped by taking the beginners' classes and as much of the intermediate class as I can manage without over-extending myself.

They deserve to be more popular and I'm surprised (and a little relieved) that the numbers are still relatively light.

They deserve to be more popular and I'm surprised (and a little relieved) that the numbers are still relatively light.

This may be because the RAD HQ is such a nightmare place to get to (i.e. not on the tube!)

That is certainly the thing that has stopped me even thinking about going there. In that part of town in rush hour it is quicker to walk than take the bus!

Jane

I just can second Jane, from Russel Square (where I live) it takes me about 1,5 hours to get there. It is really a nightmare, especially as the bus 239 is not very reliable.

hmm i was planning to get one of the south eastern trains from victoria and then walkfrom the station. Does anyone think this would take an unreasonable amount of time? I guess I will find out hey :shrug:

I'm really looking forward to these classes. I think it will make a change from my usual Tuesday class which I'll be giving up for the duration as I won't be 'jumping in the middle'. I won't have to worry about trying to learn something I'm just not ready for yet.....eg. pirouette's (phew)

I think the extra travel is worth it if it helps me get a better understanding of the real basics of ballet.

Brendan M, thank you for recommending this class, you've set my mind at ease :wub:

I would say its about 20 min (fast) walk from Clapham Junction, maybe even longer. The 239 goes from there as well, so you can always jump on a bus - or walk if there is no bus service.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you try the main reception and they will point you towards your studio ;-)

Guest london_dancer
I just can second Jane, from Russel Square (where I live) it takes me about 1,5 hours to get there. It is really a nightmare, especially as the bus 239 is not very reliable.

how does it take you that long? from finsbury park its around that on one bus. I suppose its getting to the victoria line.

Isn't it expensive living in Russell Sq, thats where i'd like to live.

As I stated before, I have sometimes to wait for more that 30 min for the 239. Of course there were times when it comes straight away but that is more an exception. It also depends on time of the day. I attended the class from 5 - 5:15 and roads are really crowded...

Yup living at Russel Square is expensive but I want to live close to the conservatoire - saves me a lot of travel time and money :-)

It took me about 1 ish hours from Richmond- and yes the most time consuming part of the journey was the wait for the 239 at Clapham Junction! Although that was the class from 6.15-7.30, so perhaps it was quicker because it was slightly later. Also, I got a fast BR train from Richmond to CJ, which took only about 15 mins.

Edited by R.Mc

Hey guys, I finally made it to my RAD class last night and I'd just like to say that it takes 15 minutes to walk to the RAD. Apart from being a quicker journey to get there (from Clapham Junction station) it's a great way to warm yourself up.

Guest london_dancer
As I stated before, I have sometimes to wait for more that 30 min for the 239. Of course there were times when it comes straight away but that is more an exception. It also depends on time of the day. I attended the class from 5 - 5:15 and roads are really crowded...

Yup living at Russel Square is expensive but I want to live close to the conservatoire - saves me a lot of travel time and money :-)

why not get the 19 bus straight there?