Ballet Talk for Dancers

$$$

Guest dancer+

Guest dancer+

Sorry to bug you again[/ with me and my ballet problems, but I don't know who else to talk to, my dance teacher is too busy to talk. Besides all the other challenges I face, a new one is money. Our family can't pay for ballet as easily as before. Mom told me that I would have to cut down my meager amount of classes. I chose to drop pointe. I figured that I could always go back to pointe, and my regular classes are much more important. Right now, I only go to regular class 3 times a week, and now without any pointe. But I can't stand it. It is impossible to describe to you what I feel about ballet. When ever I go into a class, my heart pounds, I breathe heavily, and I get butterflies in my stomach. My whole body heats up, and I feel as if I'm on fire. My dancing reflects my endless amount of energy. I put out my heart and soul to ballet. That's why I am so fearful of these new situations. Having to give up pointe was horrible. I cried on and off for a couple of days. I try to think of the future, when I earn my own money and I control ballet. But I still can't stand waiting. I could never quite describe my passion for ballet in words. I want to know what to do now. This is just horrible, going to ballet so little and possibly having it cut down more in the future. How can a little 13 year old possibly earn enough money? There is baby sitting, but I don't know anyone who would need babysitting service. Do you have any ideas, or is the situation unchangable?

Edited by dancer+
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• Victoria Leigh

• Star

• DewDrop5392

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

It's time to talk to your teacher or school director and ask for scholarship or financial aid. Perhaps it would be best for your Mom to talk to them.

Ask your teacher, or the school administrator, if you have one, if there are any tasks you can do around the studio to work off another class or two. See if the roll needs taking, or clean the dressing rooms, mop the floors, pluck chickens, or whatever! You were wise to lose a pointe class if you had to lose anything. Technique is the most important thing!

• Administrators

Parents have been posting on this topic, and I have had to delete their posts, however they were basically reinforcing the idea of making an arrangement for workstudy. They said that their daughters had done this and received more classes. One also said that sometimes a school will allow you to take lower level classes free. I know that some schools also will use more advanced students to be demonstrators in the lower level classes. Perhaps you could get more hours in this way?

Guest afroballet01

I have sort of the same problem.My mom won't pay more than $50/month,and that means only one class a week!I can pay for one more,but that's it...I don't know what to do.Two classes a week is not a lot at all!

• Administrators

Try the things mentioned above, afroballet. Ask for scholarship or workstudy, which is classes in exchange for some help in the studio.

At my school, they give financial aid, but you have to work for it. The guys have to tape the marley, and unload the buses and the girls demonstrate for the teachers of the lower levels. The guys will sometimes demonstrate for the younger boys.

Afroballet01 and dancer+, do you know of anybody at your studio who currently does this. If you do you could ask them how to approach who you need to.

Guest afroballet01

I don't know of anyone at the studio who does that...Maybe it is done,but I'm not sure.For now I will stick with my two classes,and maybe will get more as a birthday/Christmas present...

• Administrators

It can't hurt anything to ask. You might be able to get more classes. Two a week is not sufficient.

• Administrators

Yes, as long as you do not expect to dance on pointe.

Guest afroballet01

Okay.I know you need three (at least) for pointe,and I am saving my money to be able to pay for that in the next session of ballet.

*For a recreational student (not en pointe) who is 14,how many classes a week would you recommend?

• Administrators

I don't feel that anything is accomplised in less than two classes a week, and that is extremely minimal. Three would be better, even for a recreational student.

Guest afroballet01

Well I will be taking two,and I might be able to take 3 some weeks when I have extra money since you can pay by the class at the other studio I was considering also this year.

its just a suggestion, and i am not sure if it is the same in america as it is in the uk but when i was 13 i started a paper round which earnt me enough money to pay for two classes a week. about a year later i started cleaning-just privately for a friend of the family- but it was quite good money and not too demanding. as i say this may not be apropriate but in my posistion the only way i could do it was by earning the money myself. just a few ideas.

good luck

star