Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pirouettes

dancecow

Hello,

I can´t turn pirouettes well. It´s my big problem. We should turn 3 or more pirouettes but I can´t. Can you give me advices how I can train it and tips how you can turn good pirouettes??? :offtopic:

• Administrators

First, you need to be studying long enough to learn a whole lot of things, like: alignment, balance point, retiré position, balance in that position on demi pointe. Then you need to understand certain concepts, like en dehors and en dedans; how to spot; how to use your demi plié to relevé to the pirouette position and your back muscles to go around the corner, and then how to coordinate all of these things to create the movement around your center! Easy, no? NOT!

You also need to understand the theory of turning from the position given by your instructor. There are two distinctly different methods of turning en dehors, depending on which preparation is used. I won't go into that now, as I don't know where you are in your training.

If you tell me a bit more about your training, and your level, how long you have studied, how many classes a week, and your age, that would help. Also tell me what happens when you try to turn.

I´m at the school of Neumeier, 6th class. At the end of the year I had finish my apprenticeship. I´m in three days 15 years old. My teacher says I have the balance, I have the technique etc... She is very helpless :offtopic:

• Administrators

Without seeing what is happening, I can only guess that you might not be using your upper body, especially the back muscles, and your head well enough. You are really going to have to have help from someone who can see you, since you understand the technique needed. Sorry that I can't be more help. But do be patient, and realize that, like with everything, it just takes knowing what to do, and then the patience to practice it slowly and carefully. Take it apart and go back to the basics, the preparation, the relevé around the corner (one-quarter turn) holding the position. When this works, go to a half turn, then a full turn, and then continue to more turns. Good luck!

Maybe you block yourself by thinking that you can't turn (this was my problem. I always thought that I could never do doubles on pointe and yes, I couldn't until I changed my opinion) And yes, it worked and I have constant doubles now on pointe (a year ago it seemed to be impossible for me)

Could it be, that you are "afraid" of turning? Just keep telling yourself, that you are doing every thing right, like your teacher said and nothing can go wrong.

dancecow, I believe that you also had been told by Major Johnson, shulie (in German) and myself that you need to tell your ballet teacher that your foot hurts you very much. You also were advised to stop dancing all together until you have been seen by a medical doctor. To my knowledge that was to be done on this Monday, September 5. Do not worry about your pirouettes right now. Worry about your foot. If you do not take care of your foot now, you may injure yourself to the point that you may not be doing pirouettes for a very long time.

If you need to be reminded about the conversation , please refer to:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=25633

dancecow; Ms Schneider is correct- she, Mr Johnson and Ms Leigh are professional ballet teachers and former professional dancers (Mr Johnson still performs from time to time) - believe me, they know what they are doing and you should take their advice.

Take my two cents too- I think I have a lot of experience and much common sense. (and did do some brief teaching too in my young life)

Please do not worry about anything else than getting your full health back- its is the most important thing for a dancer, no matter if professional or not. Since you are attending a professional school and are on the way of becoming a professional dancer it is extra important to let injuries fully heal- or they may in the worst case cost you your ballet career. You are 15 and might finish ballet education in maybe 2 to 3 years- in those last years of ballet school it is extremely important to be fully functioning since they directly prepare you for stage. So take my advice and see a doctor and take off dancing if neccesary.

Bitte geh endlich zum Arzt und nehm dir frei- wenn du das nicht tust, und deine Verletzung "übertauchst", könnte dich das deine Ballettkarriere kosten. Nimm das bitte ernst- du bist jetzt 15, also bereits im pre professionellen Level deiner Schule- diese letzten 2 oder 3 Jahre auf der Ballettschule bereiten dich unmittelbar für die Bühnenkarriere vor- deshalb ist es besonders wichtig, vollständig gesund zu sein, bevor es in den "Endspurt" geht. Laß dich untersuchen und nimm dir frei, solange, bis die Verletzung vollständig ausgeheilt ist, oder du machst alles noch schlimmer. Chronische Verletzungen sind das Schlimmste for einen Tänzer, glaub mir. Man muß sie deshalb vermeiden, nicht züchten.

I have a question about turning. I have problems turning to my left. I can do triples to the right, but barely a single to the left. I feel dizzy and I fall out of the turn a lot of the time. Its really starting to frusterate me in class. :flowers: Do you guys have any ideas? :yes: Thanks, toedancer. :jump:

• Administrators

Everyone has a weaker side, toedancer. The only answer to that is to practice twice as much on the weaker side! Take it back to the preparation, the position for turning, the position for turning on a relevé, take the position around the corner a 1/4 turn, and do that until it is solid and balanced. Then proceed to 1/2 turns, and then single, etc. It's probably a combination of placement in the 4th, use of the torso to create the turn, placement in the turning position, and especially the use of the head and eyes.

Make sure that you start practising them now. This was my problem for a long time: The right side as always been my worse side in everything, stretching, turning, strenght etc. (I now the reason why: I have scoliose and it affects my right leg) I only practised my better side, the left one and there I became better but I saw hardly and progress on the right side (which made me even more work on the left side) Therefore it is very important that you work on your weak side, it will also help you a lot on the strong side because it will bring your body in a much better "balance".

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I will start practicing more to my left. :( Also, thank you for reminding me to break it down into quater turns and half turns. I think that will help. :blink: