Ballet Talk for Dancers
gerlonda

Faculty bios (or lack of)

gerlonda

I was just wondering if it bothered anyone else when ballet schools (especially the large "professional" schools) just list the teachers' names without any other information on them? I'm not talking full length autobiographies here :offtopic: , but I would atleast like to know such info as a)where this teacher trained, b)how long have they been teaching, c)what companies (if any) they have danced for, d) their teaching philosophies etc.

It really irks me when I run across what seems to be a reputable ballet school website or brochure and they just list the faculty names as if people can tell if they (or their children) will match well with the school by telepathy or if their name sounds "pretty" or something.

Is it rude to call a school up and ask about the background of some of their teachers (I usually ask the teachers themselves, but by then I'm already signed up for the class, which is a bit backwards)?

Victoria Leigh

It's a good question, gerlonda. I think most schools have their faculty bios in their brochures and/or website info, but, if they don't, that would bother me too. Perhaps some of the schools feel that they are so well known themselves that anyone they list has to be so well known that they don't have to spell it out, but I don't know really what the rationale for that lack of info would be except for those places where the faculty does not have much of a background to talk about. :offtopic:

Memo
Is it rude to call a school up and ask about the background of some of their teachers (I usually ask the teachers themselves, but by then I'm already signed up for the class, which is a bit backwards)?

Go ahead and ask. I welcome it at my school. I respect someone who asks and I do my best to give them as much information as possible.

:offtopic:

Dance_Scholar_London

I can't speak for the US, but in the UK, many dance conservatoires don't have the resources to build a website with multiple pages that need to be maintained and updated on a regular basis. Therefore, having a website with the basic info is a compromise solution.

koshka

I agree that maintaining a website, even a relatively simple one, can entail more effort or cost than some schools can muster, but faculty bios ought to be available in some medium.

<Says she who was up till 1130 last night making just a few tiny changes for a ballet school website....>

Memo
I agree that maintaining a website, even a relatively simple one, can entail more effort or cost than some schools can muster, but faculty bios ought to be available in some medium.

<Says she who was up till 1130 last night making just a few tiny changes for a ballet school website....>

I think any pre professional school that does not maintain some sort of web presence is now out of the loop and not presenting a professional presence. Compared to conventional advertising it is the most cost effective way to promote and give out information about your business.

(teachers however can be camera shy and slow to get the webmaster their information.)

lampwick

Of course it's not rude to call the school and ask for a teacher's background. You're paying them for instruction.

You can always Google names too and try some detective work.

mini cooper

Two things:

As lampwick says - google them. (I cannot believe that google has become a verb!)

Another thing - saying nothing is a whole lot better than saying purely fabricated or way overblown things.

With a quick google search you can get an interesting glimpse of parts and pieces of someone - if there is something there to get. Normally you might find newspaper articles where someone is mentioned. Or, you may find a bio that is listed on another website.

abdwybabe

I think it all depends on the school. I would definitely ask if you feel you need to know. If the school has a good record of turning out excellent dancers and comes highly recommended, it may not be necessary.